• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I think Dear Zachary was mentioned very early on this thread. Pleased to say it's 9:50 and I've already cried my eyes out today.

I don't know why I don't like this show. I just finished it.

Cranston is outstanding, but I just couldn't get into anything else in the show. I finished watching it because I wanted to see how everything played out, but I never really got a handle on why Ribisi's character did anything, the family drama never really gelled in a meaningful way (and occupied a ton of screen time) and the show was tonally all over the place. I wonder if Yost's work with Justified had my expectations too high.

It may be worth watching for Cranston alone, though. After we start to see what he's capable of, the mere mention of his character's name had me on edge.

Interesting. I really liked Sneaky Pete after finishing last night. A handful of the episodes are IMO really outstanding, particularly toward the end as the threads come together. I dig Ocean's 11 style, intricately plotted con stuff. I would think that folks who liked Justified would find a lot to like about this show. At worst, it's just a fun and entertaining watch.

Interesting. I really liked Sneaky Pete after finishing last night. A handful of the episodes are IMO really outstanding, particularly toward the end as the threads come together. I dig Ocean's 11 style, intricately plotted con stuff. I would think that folks who liked Justified would find a lot to like about this show. At worst, it's just a fun and entertaining watch.

Great. It's next on my list after I work through The Man in the High Castle. Since I'm not finished I'm not clicking on the thread dedicated to that one, but this show can be really slow and finishing this is starting to feel like a trudge. I'm 12 episodes in and granted the last two of the first season were pretty good, but just seems like a lot of people running around doing random stuff for no real reason or reasons "to be revealed later on." Endgames aren't clear and I wonder what the point of half the things the people are doing is. It also has the problem of not really having any terribly likable characters. Should I bail?

Thanks for the Mozart in the Jungle recs. Wife and I are loving it so far.

I'm through 3 episodes of Goliath, and really think it's poorly acted and written. It's just too over the top. Unless there is some weird mind game going on, ala Mr. Robot, I'm not really sure what they're going for. I'm going to finish it out hoping that it turns around, because that's just what I do and it's relatively short, but so far I'm missing the boat on a lot of the hype.

Billy Bob Thorton is the only actor in the show I've seen so far with any chops, but I'm still scratching my head wondering how he got the golden globe for best actor. If this role wins him a golden globe, then he should have gotten an Oscar for Bad Santa.

Sneaky Pete, Longmire, and possibly Mozart are the next 3 shows on the list.

Last edited:
I'm through 3 episodes of Goliath, and really think it's poorly acted and written. It's just too over the top. Unless there is some weird mind game going on, ala Mr. Robot, I'm not really sure what they're going for. I'm going to finish it out hoping that it turns around, because that's just what I do and it's relatively short, but so far I'm missing the boat on a lot of the hype.

Billy Bob Thorton is the only actor in the show I've seen so far with any chops, but I'm still scratching my head wondering how he got the golden globe for best actor. If this role wins him a golden globe, then he should have gotten an Oscar for Bad Santa.

ugh, longmire. couldnt' make it past the first 30 min

I agree with a lot of this. I got through the whole thing in about three days, but at no time did I ever think, "wow, Billy Bob is amazing in this" Seems like not that far a cry from Willie in Bad Santa like you mention. The show was pretty even throughout, meaning I never thought it got a whole hell of a lot better than the beginning, although there is certainly some weirder stuff later on. William Hurt is pretty ridiculous, and not necessarily in a good way. It was fine and worth finishing, but not something I would be recommending very highly.

Agreed. Goliath was predictable and the acting was not great. The legal stuff was also horrendous. I like billy bob, but i was shocked he won the golden globe for this.

Anyone watch Santa Clarita Diet with Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant?

It starts out pretty campy but really gets good as it progresses....really love Timothy Olyphant in this. Funny throughout and an interesting take on the "zombie" story.....though be warned the first episode has a vomit scene that made me gag and my stomach turn....so watch for that...but otherwise I recommend it....10 thirty minute episodes in Season 1 so easily binge-able.

Back