• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

[Redacted] A Non-Issue For Wake Brass

So I assume you blame RW for the terrible hire, and the aforementioned facts about giving Dino an extension after the Gary Clark "scandal", outlined by PH, correct?

I'm not privy to information about everything that occurred while all of this was going down, so I don't know why Dino was given that extension. In hindsight, I would say that it was obviously a mistake. I am not taking the position that [Redacted] should be retained. In fact, I think he should be replaced. However, I definitely think that firing Dino was the right move to make. He was leading the program deeper & deeper into an area where we should not have been with his laissez-faire attitude of recruiting players with questionable moral values or interest in education, and then letting those players do whatever they wanted to do with virtually no institutional control.

I'm just trying to ascertain if you think RW is to blame for anything. You seem to think that alum who are pissed off about this situation are elitist and err on entitlement, when in reality logic and facts are on our side that point to RW making a horrible hire and and even more horrible decision sticking with it without addressing the problem and ignoring the counter arguments to the "culture" issues that have been debunked ad nauseum on this board. RW is the one to blame, and should be let go, plain and simple. There's nothing entitled about that position.

Well said. If resources are preventing us from providing top tier academics and athletics, scrap athletics, reduce tuition, recruit top faculty, and focus on being a top tier academic institution. Relieve us of the burden of rooting for a program with no interest in winning.

President Hatch has supposedly been "leading" us to that higher academic plane. But for some reason the online academic rankings have us dropping, not rising.

Apparently Nathan Hatch is to academic rankings what Ron Wellman is to the Director's Cup rankings...

Last edited:
I'm not privy to information about everything that occurred while all of this was going down, so I don't know why Dino was given that extension. In hindsight, I would say that it was obviously a mistake. I am not taking the position that [Redacted] should be retained. In fact, I think he should be replaced. However, I definitely think that firing Dino was the right move to make. He was leading the program deeper & deeper into an area where we should not have been with his laissez-faire attitude of recruiting players with questionable moral values or interest in education, and then letting those players do whatever they wanted to do with virtually no institutional control.

Let Wellman tell you why Dino got an extension:
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101409aaa.html

"Dino has continued to move our basketball program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired two years ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino is responsible for that progress."

Well yeah, locking a guy into an extension and buyout then firing him 6 months later is inexcusable and fiscally irresponsible.

I don't disagree with you at all about that.

BKF, I just don't see how objective people can look at RW's performance over the last several years and justify his continued employment as a member of the WFU staff. Between the whole bball mess (flip flopping on the reasons for Dino's firing, horrible hire of Bz, shutting out the fans, etc), awful Director's Cup standing finishes, hiring a guy who cooked the books at Krispy Kreme, and more, most open-minded people would see that he needs to go. He helped get us new facilities, but that is about the only positive thing I can honestly think of regarding his performance. It's just bizarre all around that he still has support. He must be the best ass-kisser in the world. It honestly seems like the only support he has is from the wealthy, older WF generation...which apparently is the only support you need in his position.

You don't have to be the worst program in America just to prove you care about honor and integrity and socks and whatnot. The fact that they are spinning that story means they are idiots or they think we are.

You don't have to be the worst program in America just to prove you care about honor and integrity and socks and whatnot. The fact that they are spinning that story means they are idiots or they think we are.

+1. Even if all the culture stuff was true, it's been 4 years now, and we still aren't winning (at all).

No, the reputation nationally of Wake Forest is "Where the hell is Wake Forest?" Outside of the South, it's not very well-known.

I don't know where you live, but where I am in the Northeast this is not true.

BKF you could not be more wrong-

The new reputation of WFU nationally is,"what happened to Wake sports?"

This.

Back