• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

[Redacted] A Non-Issue For Wake Brass

Getting rid of Wellman won't be enough. We can't get rid of all the people who are propping up this loser mentality.

The potential reality of the Ph and BKFs posts scare me.

Alumni under the age of 40 are the ones who only know Wake as a "winner". This group dates back to the 94/95 and 95/96 ACC championships. They will be much more likely to expect and demand winning and much less likely to accept LOWF.

Until this group gets a little older and matures into positions of influence at Wake Forest, there may not be any pressure on the decision makers at Wake to fix the train wreck that is our athletic department. And that could literally take 10-20 years.

I know i'm crazy, but i have a sense that some of the boosters or SOMEONE in the dept sent out feelers to some decent coaches and didn't get a positive response, so they are blowing this culture smoke up our asses. I am honestly starting to think that nobody worth a damn wants to come work for ronald mcdonald wellman/the old farts who are funding this idiocy.

i really wish we could get, ON RECORD, somebody asking wellman "sure [Redacted] is keeping them in line, but can you honestly say with a straight face that there's nobody else who can do that AND actually win games?"

man, being a wake fan is so depressing.

Last edited:
The potential reality of the Ph and BKFs posts scare me.

Alumni under the age of 40 are the ones who only know Wake as a "winner". This group dates back to the 94/95 and 95/96 ACC championships. They will be much more likely to expect and demand winning and much less likely to accept LOWF.

Until this group gets a little older and matures into positions of influence at Wake Forest, there may not be any pressure on the decision makers at Wake to fix the train wreck that is our athletic department. And that could literally take 10-20 years.

I don't disagree with your post. However, we won't have the luxury of 10-20 years to fix the train wreck and remain in a BCS conference. Just not going to happen.

bkf, that circle is the only one who cares about the "criminals". None of the incidents except for future team captain Gary Clark getting a BJ made national news. Wake's reputation was fine.

Nationally, the dialogue has been that Bz was a bad hire and a failure as a coach.

As much as I'd like to believe in fellow under 40 Deacs, the power players will find their stooges among that group as well.

The reality is tough to hear but it is what it is. We are the fringe. They've managed to turn a majority of the fanbase into the fringe.

bkf, please find some national or even local writers who were talking about the damaged reputation of Wake athletics before Dino was fired.

I think what is more likely to happen is that by that time this younger group will have matured enough to realize that there are more important things in life than winning basketball games if you have to sacrifice the reputation of the university to do so. And in today's cutthroat world of bigtime college athletics, it is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve one without the other.

ETA: And I understand how some of these younger people feel. From the time I was 10 years old until I was 38 years old, I considered WF basketball to be one of the most important things in my life.

You can win, go after one and dones/other Top 30 players and not sign thugs all at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

That has nothing to do with my post. Nice deflection.

Is there anyone who didn't go to Wake that even remembers any of the "culture" problems that Wake had? The only reason anyone would is because we can't stop talking about it ourselves. Its just all around the worst PR campaign ever put together. No one remembers a random GMA 2 minute spot from 3 years ago or who the heck was involved.

bkf is going to be so mad when ph wins the 400 million dollar lotto and turns wake basketball into the runnin' rebs UNLV for the new millenium

speaking of that, does anybody know anyone who is really really really loaded and also kind of stupid? i've got an idea

It has everything to do with your post, PH. You are supposed to be an educator....but you seem to be much more interested in winning basketball games than in graduating students.

Two of the "criminals" graduated from Wake. How does that fit your argument?

Again, where is your evidence that Wake's national reputation was damaged before Dino was fired?

Plenty of schools win more than we do and have better academic reputations. They're not mutually exclusive.

If Wake is not interested in competing at the highest level, that is a choice to be made. Agree or not, I would respect the decision to concentrate on being solely an academic institution. However, in that case, Wake does not need to spend so much money on facilities and scholarships. The problem right now is that Wake is participating in sports without really attempting to compete, despite what is being said. There are plenty of ways to be competitive and have a good reputation. If there is so much concern that good athletes will drag down the reputation of the school with bad behavior (a really poor argument, by the way), then just stop the athletics. Focus on making Wake a great academic institution and stop pretending to compete without really trying.

PH, let me clue you in. When a program that is watched by millions every day on a national television like the Today Show runs a story on sexual abuse by the basketball team, your reputation has been damaged.

That story ran after Dino was fired.

That story ran after Wellman investigated the incident and didn't hold anybody accountable, including Dino who got an extension afterwards.

That story ran after Wellman buried it. That story ran on the Today Show BECAUSE Wellman buried it. The story was about universities turning a blind eye to sexual assault. It wasn't about Clark and Teague's culture. It was about the cover up by the university.

That story ran after Gary Clark completed his senior season as team captain and graduated from Wake.

Last edited:
True but since bkf mentioned it, I had to debunk it.

who watches the today show? why the hell should wake forest sports fans care what old people and stay at home moms think? plus, that story was totally BS.

If Wake is not interested in competing at the highest level, that is a choice to be made. Agree or not, I would respect the decision to concentrate on being solely an academic institution. However, in that case, Wake does not need to spend so much money on facilities and scholarships. The problem right now is that Wake is participating in sports without really attempting to compete, despite what is being said. There are plenty of ways to be competitive and have a good reputation. If there is so much concern that good athletes will drag down the reputation of the school with bad behavior (a really poor argument, by the way), then just stop the athletics. Focus on making Wake a great academic institution and stop pretending to compete without really trying.
This is absolutely true. If Wake must avoid star athletes because of the risk of disrupting the "culture", then Wake should, no MUST, leave the ACC and big time athletics. Wake is making itself into a pariah by becoming a willing punching bag with no ability to compete. It makes Wake synonymous with laughingstock whom no one will respect for its "stance". They will respect it if we leave athletics, but not if we stay in to reap unearned TV money rewards. That's greed and accepting pecuniary reward at the expense of dignity. God I hate these people. Let the revolution begin.

PH, let me clue you in. When a program that is watched by millions every day on a national television like the Today Show runs a story on sexual abuse by the basketball team, your reputation has been damaged.

Wake's reputation was damaged by a lying skank, not the basketball team.

Back