• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

The proof is in a July 6, 1933, edition of the Hartford Courant, which Witten unearthed after the sports Web site MMQB tipped him off about it.

The edition includes a short Associated Press dispatch quoting Marshall saying: “The fact that we have in our head coach, Lone Star Dietz, an Indian, together with several Indian players, has not, as may be suspected, inspired me to select the name Redskins.”

Instead, Marshall explains, he gave up “Braves” to avoid confusion with a Boston professional baseball team of the same name. He apparently picked the Redskins name so he could keep the existing Native American logo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...698-11e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html?hpid=z3

Then on Wednesday, 77 Native American tribes, Indian organizations and supporters wrote every National Football League player urging them to put their celebrity to good use by publicly supporting a name change.

But what about the polls?!?

Snyder should just hire an Indian as a member of the coaching staff. Bring him right in off the reservation. Problem solved.

This seems like a..... bad idea.

This seems like a..... bad idea.

post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif

The Skins organization is so inept when it comes to PR. I firmly believe that the reason this has become such a big issue in the last 30 months is because they took an offensive stance. If they had continue to ignore it there is no doubt in my mind this would still be a fringe issue.

Which definition of offensive? Or both?

hahaha...well, without one the other doesn't happen either.

The "liberals ruin everything" tag on this thread is perhaps my favorite on these rjkarlboards.

Back