• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

It's sad that in 2017 this thread is 109 pages long and counting, and that's on a Wake Forest message board. I would have hoped it would make about 3 pages full of people condemning white supremacy, alas, here we are.

Minnesota law firm fires IP lawyer who owned a Neo-Nazi record label.
http://www.citypages.com/news/minne...d-label-no-longer-works-at-law-firm/441299563

According to Patterson Thuente, the Minneapolis patent law firm was slow to learn one of its partners has a side gig trafficking in fascist-leaning heavy metal.

But the firm was quick to act once City Pages published a cover story about Aaron Davis, a partner at Patterson Thuente, and his role as the man behind Behold Barbarity records. Within a few hours, Davis was placed on "administrative leave," and his biography was scrubbed from the Patterson Thuente website.
Not long ago, that biography described Davis as a "a key member of Patterson Thuente’s litigation team," and also mentioned that Davis works to "assist record labels, artists, and entertainment companies throughout the United States" on licensing and intellectual property issues.
The firm now claims it had no idea that Davis' business was selling records for bands with deeply offensive imagery and lyrics. (One band had a song called "Kill the Jews," while another put out an album called Behead the Semite.)

Original story: http://www.citypages.com/music/one-...label-and-the-fight-to-shut-it-down/440595353

It was like performance art, I didn't really have anything to add.

But I can't expect everyone to watch a video in a tweet I post, that's fair. So I have transcribed. For those who can't see tweets, this guy filed a lawsuit to bring confederate flags back into the courtroom in York, SC:

Again, I don't believe it is a symbol of racism, I don't think it's a symbol of slavery. That's my personal view, how they feel is their business. It would be ludicrous for me to tell you how they feel. Hey! I go down the street and see Martin.. Martin Luther C**n..

I shouldn't have said that.

Martin Luther King. Should I rip the signs down or insist that they take Martin Luther King Street down and the rest of that stuff? That's a public thing. I don’t necessarily agree with it but that's the way it is.

And sure, the slur will get the most attention, but don't sleep on the fact that the guy doesn't want streets named after MLK.

(BTW, his lawsuit has already been tossed.)

cracked.com's interview with ex-hitler youth

very fine people:

That's not to say it was an idyllic summer camp: It was still run by Nazis, after all. Horst had to give adults the Sieg Heil, and was encouraged to snitch on anyone who didn't fully represent the Nazi party. He says he never actually turned in anyone for that. But he did turn people in for another crime against fascism:

"The way we were taught about Jesus was a wise man going through the desert in sandals. In the Hitler youth we rounded up people who were wearing sandals, they were Jesus imitators. Most of them got shot."

Horst had a hand in those deaths, there's no denying it. He wasn't proud when he told us:

"Most of them got shot."

But the old indoctrination kicked in again when he thought of those sandal-wearers he informed on, as a child:

"I mean, what the hell, 200 miles from the seashore walking in sandals, when you can have shoes? We didn't need Jesus imitators."

May have been posted but finally read this article yesterday on the way home from work and it's a solid piece: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/how-america-lost-its-mind/534231/

"
How widespread is this promiscuous devotion to the untrue? How many Americans now inhabit alternate realities? Any given survey of beliefs is only a sketch of what people in general really think. But reams of survey research from the past 20 years reveal a rough, useful census of American credulity and delusion. By my reckoning, the solidly reality-based are a minority, maybe a third of us but almost certainly fewer than half. Only a third of us, for instance, don’t believe that the tale of creation in Genesis is the word of God. Only a third strongly disbelieve in telepathy and ghosts. Two-thirds of Americans believe that “angels and demons are active in the world.” More than half say they’re absolutely certain heaven exists, and just as many are sure of the existence of a personal God—not a vague force or universal spirit or higher power, but some guy. A third of us believe not only that global warming is no big deal but that it’s a hoax perpetrated by scientists, the government, and journalists. A third believe that our earliest ancestors were humans just like us; that the government has, in league with the pharmaceutical industry, hidden evidence of natural cancer cures; that extraterrestrials have visited or are visiting Earth. Almost a quarter believe that vaccines cause autism, and that Donald Trump won the popular vote in 2016. A quarter believe that our previous president maybe or definitely was (or is?) the anti-Christ. According to a survey by Public Policy Polling, 15 percent believe that the “media or the government adds secret mind-controlling technology to television broadcast signals,” and another 15 percent think that’s possible. A quarter of Americans believe in witches. Remarkably, the same fraction, or maybe less, believes that the Bible consists mainly of legends and fables—the same proportion that believes U.S. officials were complicit in the 9/11 attacks."

That last one is....something.

Given that the terminology in the question you quote is Trump's, I'd say the below is probably more reflective of what is really going on:

Q54 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of neo-Nazis?
Favorable........................................................ 3%
Unfavorable .................................................... 89%
Notsure.......................................................... 8%

Q55 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of white supremacists? Favorable........................................................ 4%
Unfavorable .................................................... 87%
Not sure ..........................................................9%

Why would you think that? They are completely different questions. I'm glad that most Trump voters have an unfavorable opinion of white supremacists and neo-Nazis as a whole, but isn't it a little troubling that half of them think there could be some very fine people in those groups?

Because no small number of Trump voters are likely to answer in a way they know supports Trump just to piss off the "media."

you think people answer surveys, ostensibly anonymously, to piss off "the Media"? delusional

I think it's the opposite. I think people hate the media so their position is partially informed by the opposite of what they believe the media says.

Given that the terminology in the question you quote is Trump's, I'd say the below is probably more reflective of what is really going on:

Q54 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of neo-Nazis?
Favorable......................................... ..... 3%
Unfavorable .......................................... 89%
Not sure.............................................. .. 8%

Q55 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of white supremacists? Favorable......................................... ..... 4%
Unfavorable .......................................... 87%
Not sure ................................................9%

That's all Americans. Among Republicans, Nazi and white supremacist favorability were at 7% with 6% and 8% not sure, respectively.

you think people answer surveys, ostensibly anonymously, to piss off "the Media"? delusional

You answer surveys honestly when some douchebag calls to bother you out of the blue? Assuming I don't hang up, every answer I give is to fuck with them. Name: Larry Longballs. Party Affiliation: Commie4Life. Do you plan on voting? No. Who did you vote for for Governor? B.A. Baracus. What is your stance on school vouchers? Only good if I can exchange them for a Happy Meal.

Hard to believe anyone would, much less a joker like ITC.

A) i don't answer my phone unless i know the number
b) if i was going to waste my time doing a survey, i wouldn't do one unless i had an interest in topic and if i got to that point i sure wouldnt try to be dumb with goofy answers

so i think you guys are lying

You answer surveys honestly when some douchebag calls to bother you out of the blue? Assuming I don't hang up, every answer I give is to fuck with them. Name: Larry Longballs. Party Affiliation: Commie4Life. Do you plan on voting? No. Who did you vote for for Governor? B.A. Baracus. What is your stance on school vouchers? Only good if I can exchange them for a Happy Meal.

you answer the phone and actually stay on the line? I've lost track as to how many surveys and "free" trips to Cancun I've hung up on

Back