• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Remaining Borders Stores to liquidate

Probably in the next 10 years or so. I think it's going to be a tough market to fully crack for a few reasons. I think a few things need to happen first:

1. The technology has to catches up with students' needs. You don't read a textbook the same way you read a book for pleasure. Students like to take notes, they like to flip around multiple pages at a time and back and forth. And books are more reliable. What if an e-reader craps out while working on a paper or completing an open book test?

2. Professors have to get used to the technology. I have colleagues who are 30+ years older than me who struggle using Blackboard. They've been using the same books/readings for years and aren't used to reading online or from a device.

3. It has to fit the economics for the publishers and distributors. I doubt they're itching to ditch books. Textbooks are very profitable. If siff comes over here, I'm sure he can tell you much more.

4. It has to fit the economics for the students. Books on Kindle/Nook/whatever could be cheaper than a new book. I'm not sure of the price points. But students like to buy cheap used books and books they can sell back.

I'm curious what students here think about it.

Timely story I saw earlier today.

Thanks. Looks like Amazon is on their way.

How incredibly depressing. I love books, and part of the joy of purchasing them is adding them to your collection. There is nothing better than letting a friend come over and pick a book out of your shelf to borrow. I remember doing the very same thing at my grandparents house when I was just a little kid.

I have seen Kindles, and the technology (while incredibly simple) is amazing; but there is simply more to a book than just the words and pages.

How incredibly depressing. I love books, and part of the joy of purchasing them is adding them to your collection. There is nothing better than letting a friend come over and pick a book out of your shelf to borrow. I remember doing the very same thing at my grandparents house when I was just a little kid.

I have seen Kindles, and the technology (while incredibly simple) is amazing; but there is simply more to a book than just the words and pages.

Very similar reasoning behind CD's, vinyl albums, or DVD's, which I agree with. There is more of an emotional impact with holding the physical content. My dad and I swap CD's all the time to introduce each other to new music we have found, but I don't think we would take the time to swap MP3's. Same thing goes for books. I've bought MP3 albums and they don't seem to have the same importance to me as buying the actual CD's. I guess eventually I'll break down and get a Kindle, but not anytime soon.

It is amazing how quickly e-readers have replaced books as the major form of reading device; it seemed like CD's have fought back and held their own against MP3's much longer (though they too are clearly on the way out).

everything about the kindle is awesome. the battery lasts forever, it doesn't hurt your eyes, you don't have a million books to lug when you move (or find people to give them to) and you can lounge around without having to worry about pages flipping or blowing in the wind. i've been reading at a much higher pace since buying it.

plus i steal all my books from the internet because i'm a 1337 h4x0r.

this is what i'd do if i bought one. basically use it as a library but with no due dates.

leading to...

when i really enjoy a book, i buy it. i like having a bookshelf full of yellowing pages in my apartment.

Let's be real. If you work in a brick-and-mortar book store or record store in 2011, your time has been coming for the last few years.

these people should just hike up their bootstraps and find another job

I still read physical books, but would like to make the move to an e-reader. I have an iPad, but have no interest in reading books on it. I gave up buying CD's earlier this year and have only felt a little regret, mainly because my car doesn't have a hard wired jack for my iPod and I'm too lazy to burn CD's and I don't like the sound quality of the FM transmittter options. I did unscrew/remove my car antenna which has helped with the sound quality of the transmitter, but it's still not great, just less interference.

I read books for free. If I want a copy for my collection, I then buy it. It's not about rereading them (although I do) so much as having a collection of books.

Oh, you use that library thingy or borrow from friends. I get it now.

I still read physical books, but would like to make the move to an e-reader. I have an iPad, but have no interest in reading books on it. I gave up buying CD's earlier this year and have only felt a little regret, mainly because my car doesn't have a hard wired jack for my iPod and I'm too lazy to burn CD's and I don't like the sound quality of the FM transmittter options. I did unscrew/remove my car antenna which has helped with the sound quality of the transmitter, but it's still not great, just less interference.

I struggled for a few years with a FM transmitter, then realized I could buy a new car stereo with USB iPod jack for like $125. Installation is another $50. Best purchase I ever made.

I might look into a new car stereo, but the stereo is pretty spread out. It's a 2001 Suburban that I plan to keep for another 70K to 80K miles. It even has a cassette deck. I guess they figured they had so much room they might as well throw that in there too.

I might look into a new car stereo, but the stereo is pretty spread out. It's a 2001 Suburban that I plan to keep for another 70K to 80K miles. It even has a cassette deck. I guess they figured they had so much room they might as well throw that in there too.

if it's a double DIN size, they usually (Crutchfield at least) will send you a plastic expander that reduces it to single DIN and leaves you a cubby storage hole for the rest.

People that like literature will continue to read hard copy books. Some others are writing Kindle-proof works these days.

I struggled for a few years with a FM transmitter, then realized I could buy a new car stereo with USB iPod jack for like $125. Installation is another $50. Best purchase I ever made.

Me too. For Christmas the wife got me a a new car stereo with hardwired ipod interface. Took about 2 hours for me to take out the old stereo and install the new one, and I mounted the ipod inside the glovebox so it can't be seen. I can control the ipod searches through the stereo buttons and it charges the ipod as it runs so I never have to take it out of the car unless loading new music on it. I agree that it is one of the best things I've ever gotten, and I haven't used a CD since Christmas.

e-books are/will be huge but it won't kill off paper books completely. There are plenty of out of print or no-profit-to-be-made-from-transferring-into-digital-format books and printed material will eventually become a status symbol again

As ipity said you can get a single DIN stereo with a plastic compartment to fill the remaining space. Not sure if it will fit your Suburban but my parents got me a Clarion double DIN receiver for my 4Runner and it's ridiculously awesome. USB adapter for the iPod and integrated Bluetooth so I can talk on the phone over the stereo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CX501/Clarion-CX501.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand%7cClarion

Back