• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Remaining Borders Stores to liquidate

I might look into a new car stereo, but the stereo is pretty spread out. It's a 2001 Suburban that I plan to keep for another 70K to 80K miles. It even has a cassette deck. I guess they figured they had so much room they might as well throw that in there too.

You don't need to buy a whole new car stereo, you just need to install an auxiliary jack onto your existing stereo, like the ones at Pac-Audio.com. I bought the PXDX2 for my Ford (it looks like you just need the PXDX for the Suburban) and its respective harness and installed it myself. Obviously your installation would be different, but it was a very simple install for me (removed the radio, unplugged one set of cables, plugged one end of the harness into the cables, the other into the radio, put radio back in).

You don't need to buy a whole new car stereo, you just need to install an auxiliary jack onto your existing stereo, like the ones at Pac-Audio.com. I bought the PXDX2 for my Ford (it looks like you just need the PXDX for the Suburban) and its respective harness and installed it myself. Obviously your installation would be different, but it was a very simple install for me (removed the radio, unplugged one set of cables, plugged one end of the harness into the cables, the other into the radio, put radio back in).

Yeah, I was just looking at that solution rather than replacing the whole stereo. Looks pretty easy. Plus, a new stereo would probably just reveal the inadequacy of my 10-year old car stereo speakers.

Yeah, I was just looking at that solution rather than replacing the whole stereo. Looks pretty easy. Plus, a new stereo would probably just reveal the inadequacy of my 10-year old car stereo speakers.

i've read in a couple reviews that a new head unit will make stock speakers sound a lot better than the OEM unit. i've been thinking about replacing the cd player in my volvo for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

That said, the benefit to a new stereo in your case would probably be the ability to control your iPod from the stereo/steering wheel, as someone mentioned a few posts ago. The PXDX2 that I bought merely added a 3.5mm headphone jack, but is so much more versatile since I can use my MP3 player, Droid (Pandora FTW), computer, etc.

Maybe I am an old fogey but I just don't think the physical book is going to go bye bye like the CD did. I have tried reading a book on my iPad and I just don't like it. There is nothing like holding a real book IMO. I can't be alone on this.[/QUOTE]

You aren't.

I might look into a new car stereo, but the stereo is pretty spread out. It's a 2001 Suburban that I plan to keep for another 70K to 80K miles. It even has a cassette deck. I guess they figured they had so much room they might as well throw that in there too.

Have you looked into a cassette ipod adaptor?

Maybe I am an old fogey but I just don't think the physical book is going to go bye bye like the CD did. I have tried reading a book on my iPad and I just don't like it. There is nothing like holding a real book IMO. I can't be alone on this.[/QUOTE]

You aren't.

They most certainly won't go the way of the Dodo, but they are going to be come much less common. Ipads do not make good e-readers because they are back-lit and no one likes reading back-lit screens. The kindle (and presumably nook) are much more pleasant to read as they have the "e-ink" which is really just a screen with millions of randomly sized and shaped polarized cells that give the text a more natural appearance.

They most certainly won't go the way of the Dodo, but they are going to be come much less common. Ipads do not make good e-readers because they are back-lit and no one likes reading back-lit screens. The kindle (and presumably nook) are much more pleasant to read as they have the "e-ink" which is really just a screen with millions of randomly sized and shaped polarized cells that give the text a more natural appearance.

It really is hard to believe how great e-ink is until you experience it. I was at the pool this weekend and had no issues reading my Kindle in the middle of the day with the sun directly overhead.

Pic of the unfeeling, logical Ph.

Tuvok.jpg

Last edited:
Sad to hear that the Thruway location will close. First off, thats a huge store to fill and I wonder what will go there. Secondly, I used to skip out of sunday school and chill at that Border's every Sunday in high school. I always felt like a badass.

they should have invested in that vibrating romance novel idea Ali G had.

"She sees his face. Nice.
She sees his body. Nice.
Shes sees his dong. Very nice!"
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I called my Borders to see when they would begin liquidating (I figure I can likely get the chic-let's library started on the cheap) and she said they assumed Sat. but weren't sure and she sounded like she was going to cry

Ummm, is it finally Trader Joe's time in W-S?

Please please please!

Sad to hear that the Thruway location will close. First off, thats a huge store to fill and I wonder what will go there. Secondly, I used to skip out of sunday school and chill at that Border's every Sunday in high school. I always felt like a badass.

I called my Borders to see when they would begin liquidating (I figure I can likely get the chic-let's library started on the cheap) and she said they assumed Sat. but weren't sure and she sounded like she was going to cry

that's so sad...

but i'll be heading out there sat too.

what's bad for borders is good for my library.

Back