• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Report: Kavanaugh won’t commit to recusal from Trump/Mueller related matters

Ed Whelan taking 'leave of absence' after posting Kavanaugh theory

The Ethics and Public Policy Center announced Sunday that its president, Ed Whelan, “will take a leave of absence” from the conservative Washington think tank after peddling a conspiracy theory on social media last week related to a sexual assault allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Following a special phone-in meeting of the EPPC board on Friday after Whelan’s Twitter screed, he offered to resign “in light of what he described as an ‘appalling and inexcusable’ error in posting online a series of comments that he has now deleted and for which he promptly publicly apologized,” the organization said in a statement.

The board declined Whelan’s offer to step down permanently, according to the statement, and the EPPC’s vice president, Yuval Levin, “will be in charge” during Whelan’s time away.

Man, you're like, troll level 10,000. You didn't even try to address the substance - straight to personal attacks. You don't know me, but I'm sure that my background aligns much more closely with the allegations of the accusers than the accused here.

He's had a lifetime appointment on the Court of Appeals. I don't think the number of justices is relevant to the level of scrutiny required for the position. The Federal Judiciary is a fairly elite closed system.

I don't know if you're a lawyer who practices in federal court, but one of the things we often complain about is the ivory-tower-esq nature of the position. There's a judge in my district who has been a defense attorney, and, often times, that variety of experience is very helpful. A lot (most?) federal judges have been a United States Attorney for a US District, the pedigrees for those positions aren't exactly earthy. And, again, I don't think (even if the allegations are true) that poor decisions as a teen reflect on a judge's ability at the bench (hell, they probably enhance it).

You brought me into to your posts in a negative before I addressed you at all. When I return in kind, you cry like a baby.

What about the lies he told to the committee? My bad, it's OK for him to lie as long you approve of him.

"Ok, I'm done, I guess. This is what kills me about "discourse" on this forum. You guys are so hellbent on narrative that you are incapable of having reasonable discussion about whether a person who forced himself on a 14 year old, put his dick in someone's face, and fed women alcohol and drugs so they could be gang raped, should be on the highest court in the land -- I mean, I don't see how all the rapey stuff he did in high school has any bearing on him being a lifetime appointee to the Supreme Court. Sad to see how far Ph, 07 and District have fallen."

BKF's ragers in his mom's basement playing correspondence chess with prison inmates

I keep seeing comments like these, and I'm tempted to scan in the old agendas I have from my high school days.

Part of the disconnect is that regular people just don't have a basis for understanding how elite a person/judge like Judge Kavanaugh is. He's elite in a group of elite people.

If you took 10 of the friends of your facebook friends, the majority of people who sit on the federal bench would be the smartest people that those 10 people have ever met. Federal judges are not "average" people. They are people who have absolutely slayed it in the legal and political world. Which is already an above average pool.

LOL. These are people who had the world slayed for them.

I haven’t seen any evidence that Kavanaugh is a top jurist. All I’ve seen is that he kept getting appointed to different positions.

As far as the calendar, I definitely don’t want some dude who kept a calendar when he was 17 on SCOTUS.

i don't doubt that Kavanaugh is a smart guy, but there is also no doubt that he was born into the elite and his family connections and family wealth launched him on a trajectory inaccessible to 99% of Americans. If you want to find evidence of the power of privilege, the federal judiciary is a pretty good place to start.

Is there evidence that he's smart? I've seen evidence that he's well-connected. I've seen evidence that he's loyal. I haven't seen evidence that he's smart.

Is there evidence that he's smart? I've seen evidence that he's well-connected. I've seen evidence that he's loyal. I haven't seen evidence that he's smart.

Your ignorance of what it takes to sit on a federal court of appeals is unbecoming.

Your ignorance of what it takes to sit on a federal court of appeals is unbecoming.

lulz. this is just something mediocre white people say so they can protect a world where mediocre white rich kids get the clerkship, and then the law job, and then the authority to control a woman's body.

Back