• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

Could they like, end the filibuster, pass a voting rights and gerrymandering act, then reinstate the filibuster? Would Manchin and Semmina go for that?

No. They want 10 Republican senators to vote for free and fair elections and districting processes that would end the one party rule Republicans want to enshrine in their states.

Texas House of Representatives vote 80 to 12 to direct state law enforcement to track down and force ("compel") missing House Democrats to return to the state capitol. The GOP Speaker of the State House has signed 52 civil arrest warrants for the missing House Democrats. Some of the House Democrats have returned to Texas from DC and are thus vulnerable to being arrested. A state judge prohibited the missing members from being arrested, but was overruled by the GOP-controlled Texas Supreme Court after an "emergency petition" was sent to them from TX Gov. Abbott and the GOP House Speaker. Only one Republican member of the TX House voted against the measure to arrest his Democratic colleagues, and he said on Twitter that "civil discourse took a nasty turn today."

So a GOP-controlled legislature orders the arrest of members hiding out to prevent a voter restriction law that many TX Republicans admit is designed to give them permanent majority status, and the GOP-controlled State Supreme Court overrules a state judge forbidding their arrest after hearing a plea from the GOP Governor and House Speaker to arrest them. TX Republicans don't play games.

USA Today Article Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-house-speaker-signs-civil-035212259.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink

Not a dig at you, highland, but lol at "GOP-controlled" SCOTX: that would imply that democrats had *any* representation on the court at all

Not a dig at you, highland, but lol at "GOP-controlled" SCOTX: that would imply that democrats had *any* representation on the court at all

True, there are no Democrats on the State Supreme Court. And the voter restriction law the legislature and governor want to pass is designed to ensure that it stays that way.

What part of this is particularly controversial?

"New ID requirements for voting by mail
Both the House and Senate are proposing to alter the rules used to verify applications to vote-by-mail and returned ballots. The bills would set new ID requirements so voters must provide their driver’s license number, or if they don’t have one, the last four digits of their Social Security number on applications for those ballots. For their votes to be counted, voters will be required to include matching information on the envelopes used to return their ballots.

Texas generally has strict rules outlining who can receive a paper ballot that can be filled out at home and returned in the mail or dropped off in person on Election Day. The option is limited to voters who are 65 and older, will be out of the county during the election, are confined in jail but otherwise still eligible or cite a disability or illness that keeps them from voting in person without needing help or without the risk of injuring their health. The state currently uses a signature matching process to verify completed ballots.

"we would rather not be called out for our racism. we are not interested in being confronted with the truth. thank you. white power... jews will not replace us... thank you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/08/27/dc-protest-voting-rights-march/

Voting rights rallies on the 58th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.�s �I Have a Dream� speech are expected to bring thousands to Washington on Saturday.�

Seems like a long way to travel for some to just complain about their own state and the Republican voters there. Historical memorialization aside, it seems typical of the American liberal mindset to performatively protest in Washington DC about voting rights restrictions that are being created at the state level. Do Democrats not understand that it�s voters who are doing the suppressing, and also voters who are failing to stop it. Imagine going to the Zoo and screaming at a tiger for having stripes. Elect people who will consolidate power for your party. I would say that you can�t elect moderates and expect to push them left, but that�s beating a dead horse - the actual message is that Democratic voters *want* this, otherwise they would vote differently, so why are activists focusing on influencing politicians, and not influencing the voters who gave those politicians their power?

Last edited:
I thought you were quoting from a right-wing column about the memorial march until I clicked the link. You’re way off base here in so many ways because you’re thinking in terms of party, not race.

I thought you were quoting from a right-wing column about the memorial march until I clicked the link. You’re way off base here in so many ways because you’re thinking in terms of party, not race.

You can think about the problem anyway you want from any perspective you want, you get the politics that you vote for, and if you vote for a President that won’t get rid of the filibuster then you don’t get a voter protection bill. I guess you’re saying that if I was Black I would understand the logic of voting for Joe Biden and a bunch of other moderate CBC members and *then* traveling to Washington DC in the dead of summer in the middle of a pandemic to stand around in a huge crowd for days on end to hear celebrities bitch about Republicans being racist. #politics

Should add, the most conservative members of the CBC are certainly not the only Dem congresspeople that don�t support getting rid of the filibuster, I was just going along with your re-framing of the problem. If it�s a Black problem then logic follows that Black voters and Black politicians would be most fervent in getting rid of the filibuster, which means not endorsing a POTUS that always was clear about keeping it. I just return to the point I made before, as a white guy I shouldn’t assume to know what’s best for Black Americans or Black voters. I have to assume that if Black voters wanted to get rid of the filibuster to pass a voting protection act then they would have done so. Life’s complicated.

Last edited:
So this is just another version of your grievance against Black voters. It gets old. The problem is your people, rural white voters who keep voting for wealthy oligarchs. Worry about them and stop being an asshole.

On 2nd thought PH, I’m not going through it with you again. I’m putting you on ignore and you are invited to put me on ignore as well. We’ve covered all this ground before and there’s nothing new to say to each other.

I’m not going to put you on ignore. I think you have valuable things to say when you choose to step away from victim blaming nonsense. But you can choose to not respond to my criticisms. Putting the only regular Black poster on ignore just validates what I’ve been saying about you. You are who I think you are.

My posting the article about the “protect the vote” rally in Washington DC was simply to comment on the reactionary performative aspect of it. I think it’s a convenient metaphor for Democrats failures in state politics by focusing on protest activism in Washington DC rather than focusing on individual state politics. This entire scenario was quite literally predicted during the Presidential Primary. *That* was the time to demand the filibuster be abolished to pass a voting rights protection act. Nobody is going to be yelling anything through a damn bullhorn to a crowd of activists in DC that’s going to have a drop of the impact that primary voting did.

"Please do not address in any way the actual reason for why we are passing these laws. Instead we will discuss deflection and side issues such as the nonexistent voter fraud that exists in our state. Thank you for your cooperation."

Back