• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

I'm certainly no fan of Trump, but after listening to the clip, it seems like a pretty big jump from what he actually said to the "Trump was making an insensitive period joke."

The "blood coming out of her, whatever" was almost a throwaway line after "blood coming out of her eyes." I'm not even sure what "blood coming out of your eyes" means, but I'm pretty confident that if his goal was to make a disparaging comment based on Megyn being a woman that he wouldn't have led with the eyes line first.

To me the reaction smacks of Republicans trying to jump on an opportunity to put down Trump for a reason that they feel that even his supporters might understand. The other candidates other than Rand and Lindsay Graham have been so reluctant to attack Trump in fear of alienating the large chunk that currently are supporting him in the polls, and it feels like they've decided to pile on to an opening that seems a bit manufactured because they think they won't get hurt by doing so.

I agree. And you know most of that crowd would laugh at a Hillary menopause joke anyway.

Yuppers, possibly with a side hope of "hey, we'll sound supportive of women!"

1) Trump has shown that he can be very vindictive. Running as a 3rd candidate....which everyone with an iota of intelligence understands will result in a Democratic landslide....would be a crystal clear way to punish those who opposed him.

2) If this could result in the destruction of today's Republican Party....once and for all....he would have done a huge favor for the nation, because today's Republican Party sunk beyond salvageable redemption levels at least ten years ago.

I didn't want to bring this up since I felt you would attack me, but I think he is a 5th column candidate. Not sure if he is after Bush or trying to help Hillary. I don't think he (Trump) has any desire to be President. It doesn't fit his life style. Why would he want to give up all that power?

I didn't want to bring this up since I felt you would attack me, but I think he is a 5th column candidate. Not sure if he is after Bush or trying to help Hillary. I don't think he (Trump) has any desire to be President. It doesn't fit his life style. Why would he want to give up all that power?

Reminds me of this scene, especially this bit at 1:25:

Lex Luthor: [laughing] President? Foolish faceless man. My campaign is a farce. A small part of a much grander scheme. President? Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be president? That's right, conspiracy buff. I spent $75 million on a fake presidential campaign all just to tick Superman off.

What's funny is that episode was 10 years ago. Back then $75M seemed like a lot of money for a billionaire to spend to get elected.

I agree with both of you. I don't think Donald Trump has any desire to be president. I also think that there is at least a possibility that he is in bed with the Clintons in this whole thing. I don't claim to know why he is doing this. All I know is that I am loving it...and that the Republican Party deserves what is happening to it now because it has been laying the groundwork for exactly this kind of eventuality for many years now with its radio talk show rhetoric & political actions in congress.

When you make a bed, you eventually have to sleep in it.

bob, I think you are engaging in a little too much wishful thinking about Trump. As far as being in bed with the Clintons, who hasn't been in bed with the Clintons - present company excepted of course. ;)

Bob, I know you like Bernie but he is most likely too left and too old to become president. I have not read this whole thread but IIRC the viewership of the Republican debate was quite high. And that may indicate that there are a substantial number of voters who want change after eight years of Obama, and Hilary is not their choice. If someone could harness those voters, they might stand a pretty good chance of getting elected as president. I only saw snippets of the debate but I doubt that at this point any one has impressed too much. The process is long, and we'll see what happens.

Have no idea what Trump's motivation or end game is, but frankly stunned at how much he is flailing and keeps blundering into things and then pretending it's all part of some well orchestrated master plan. Mexico isn't systematically sending criminals into the U.S., Mexico isn't going to pay for a walk, and Trump isn't winning Latinos. No way he trashed McCain because he wasn't supportive enough of veterans or that he was alluding to Kelly having a bloody nose. The press release is the dumbest thing yet.

Trump allocates considerable resources to monitoring all forms of media and lashes out quickly and harshly. Fox overreached, but Trump was way over the top in going back at Kelly. He also screwed up in going after Katy Tur and Kasie Hunt. If the media is truly biased, female reporters should interview him every time. Trump always goes especially hard at dweeby bastards like Priebus, Luntz, and Erickson. Fully expect Trump to give Walker a wedgie at some point. Erickson is hardly Miss Manners and is far from a squishy moderate.

If Trump is so obsessive about media, he has to know how the 2012 election went for Romney. Mitt was awkward, but he wasn't nearly as insecure and thin skinned as Trump. Get that nobody likes political correctness, but proudly being a boorish a-hole is a different deal. America may still not want George Bailey as President, but they surely don't want Mr Potter instead.

I have not read this whole thread but IIRC the viewership of the Republican debate was quite high. And that may indicate that there are a substantial number of voters who want change after eight years of Obama, and Hilary is not their choice.

I watched the debate purely for entertainment value, because of the broad idiocy that was on display. The chance I would vote for anyone on that stage is very small.

I have plenty of Democrat friends who watched for the same reason.

I even made popcorn for the occasion.

The first post debate poll is out. NBC/survey monkey online poll. Trump leads with 23, followed by Cruz at 13, Carson at 11, and Fiorina at 8. Jeb and Walker bring up the rear at 7.

SEXXXXX

Wow. That's hilarious. Definitely interested in seeing more legit polls. Has the format for the next debate been announced?

The first post debate poll is out. NBC/survey monkey online poll. Trump leads with 23, followed by Cruz at 13, Carson at 11, and Fiorina at 8. Jeb and Walker bring up the rear at 7.

SEXXXXX

Where are you seeing this? If that's true, that means the cray crays have > 50% in the polls.

Yeah. Can't find that at all.

1/3 of Republicans would vote for Donald Trump or Ben Carson as President.

Trump:

1. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime. They’re rapists and some, I assume, are good people, but I speak to border guards and they’re telling us what we’re getting.”

2. “NBC News just called it ‘The Great Freeze’ — coldest weather in years. Is our country still spending money on the GLOBAL WARMING HOAX?”

3. “I have a great relationship with the blacks. I’ve always had a great relationship with the blacks.”

4. “Do you know that Hillary Clinton was a birther? She wanted those records and fought like hell. People forgot. Did you know John McCain was a birther? Wanted those records? They couldn’t get the records. Hillary failed. John McCain failed. Trump was able to get him to give something — I don’t know what the hell it was — but it doesn’t matter.”

5. “Rosie O’Donnell’s disgusting both inside and out. You take a look at her, she’s a slob. She talks like a truck driver, she doesn’t have her facts, she’ll say anything that comes to her mind. Her show failed when it was a talk show, the ratings went very, very, very low and very bad, and she got essentially thrown off television. I mean she’s basically a disaster.”

6. “It’s like in golf. A lot of people — I don’t want this to sound trivial — but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive. It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And, I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.”

7. “I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”

8. “All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me — consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”

9. “The line of ‘Make America great again,’ the phrase, that was mine, I came up with it about a year ago, and I kept using it, and everybody’s using it, they are all loving it. I don’t know I guess I should copyright it, maybe I have copyrighted it.”

Carson:

1) On whether being gay is a choice: "Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight—and when they come out, they're gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question."

2) On political correctness: "I mean, [our society is] very much like Nazi Germany. And I know you're not supposed to say 'Nazi Germany,' but I don't care about political correctness. You know, you had a government using its tools to intimidate the population. We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe."

3) On the IRS: "You know, we live in a Gestapo age, people don't realize it."

4) On Advanced Placement history class: "I think most people, when they finish that course, they'd be ready to go sign up for ISIS."

5) On veterans dying waiting for medical care from the Department of Veterans Affairs: "I think what's happening with the veterans is a gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider. And if we can't get it right, with the relatively small number of veterans, how in the world are you going to do it with the entire population?"

6) On Obamacare: "You know, Obamacare is really, I think, the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. And it is, in a way—it is slavery in a way because it is making all of us subservient to the government."

7) On Obama's appearance: When a colleague said the president "looks clean. Shirt's white. The tie. He looks elegant," Carson responded: "Like most psychopaths. That's why they're successful. That's the way they look. They all look great." He later said: "But he knows he's telling a lie! He's trying to sell what he thinks is not true! He's sitting there saying, 'These Americans are so stupid I can tell them anything.'"

8) On similarities between the Founding Fathers, who were "willing to die for what they believed," and ISIS: "They've [ISIS] got the wrong philosophy, but they're willing to die for what they believe, while we're busily giving away every value and every belief for the sake of political correctness."

9) On the importance of the GOP winning the Senate in 2014: In August, Carson said he couldn't be sure "there will even be an election in 2016" if Republicans didn't go on to win that fall. (His wife also said they were keeping their son's Australian passport handy if the election didn't go their way.)

If Trump knows he's not winning the GOP nomination, he also knows he's not winning as an independent either. There isn't a conservative channel that has greater reach than Fox. Trump's ego needs more than just Twitter and Facebook. If Fox and Red State shun him, he's not maximizing his conservative reach.

Could never understand his birther madness since that cut his potential appeal to the masses dramatically. If his appeal now is 5 to 15% nationally and a third party run gives HRC 40 states, what does he have to show for that? A very public loss and a guy who's hated by 95% of the country.

What's the deal with Red State. I thought that crowd was very receptive to Trump during the debate.

1/3 of Republicans would vote for Donald Trump or Ben Carson as President.

Trump:

1. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime. They’re rapists and some, I assume, are good people, but I speak to border guards and they’re telling us what we’re getting.”

2. “NBC News just called it ‘The Great Freeze’ — coldest weather in years. Is our country still spending money on the GLOBAL WARMING HOAX?”

3. “I have a great relationship with the blacks. I’ve always had a great relationship with the blacks.”

4. “Do you know that Hillary Clinton was a birther? She wanted those records and fought like hell. People forgot. Did you know John McCain was a birther? Wanted those records? They couldn’t get the records. Hillary failed. John McCain failed. Trump was able to get him to give something — I don’t know what the hell it was — but it doesn’t matter.”

5. “Rosie O’Donnell’s disgusting both inside and out. You take a look at her, she’s a slob. She talks like a truck driver, she doesn’t have her facts, she’ll say anything that comes to her mind. Her show failed when it was a talk show, the ratings went very, very, very low and very bad, and she got essentially thrown off television. I mean she’s basically a disaster.”

6. “It’s like in golf. A lot of people — I don’t want this to sound trivial — but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive. It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And, I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.”

7. “I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”

8. “All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me — consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”

9. “The line of ‘Make America great again,’ the phrase, that was mine, I came up with it about a year ago, and I kept using it, and everybody’s using it, they are all loving it. I don’t know I guess I should copyright it, maybe I have copyrighted it.”

Carson:

1) On whether being gay is a choice: "Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight—and when they come out, they're gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question."

2) On political correctness: "I mean, [our society is] very much like Nazi Germany. And I know you're not supposed to say 'Nazi Germany,' but I don't care about political correctness. You know, you had a government using its tools to intimidate the population. We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe."

3) On the IRS: "You know, we live in a Gestapo age, people don't realize it."

4) On Advanced Placement history class: "I think most people, when they finish that course, they'd be ready to go sign up for ISIS."

5) On veterans dying waiting for medical care from the Department of Veterans Affairs: "I think what's happening with the veterans is a gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider. And if we can't get it right, with the relatively small number of veterans, how in the world are you going to do it with the entire population?"

6) On Obamacare: "You know, Obamacare is really, I think, the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. And it is, in a way—it is slavery in a way because it is making all of us subservient to the government."

7) On Obama's appearance: When a colleague said the president "looks clean. Shirt's white. The tie. He looks elegant," Carson responded: "Like most psychopaths. That's why they're successful. That's the way they look. They all look great." He later said: "But he knows he's telling a lie! He's trying to sell what he thinks is not true! He's sitting there saying, 'These Americans are so stupid I can tell them anything.'"

8) On similarities between the Founding Fathers, who were "willing to die for what they believed," and ISIS: "They've [ISIS] got the wrong philosophy, but they're willing to die for what they believe, while we're busily giving away every value and every belief for the sake of political correctness."

9) On the importance of the GOP winning the Senate in 2014: In August, Carson said he couldn't be sure "there will even be an election in 2016" if Republicans didn't go on to win that fall. (His wife also said they were keeping their son's Australian passport handy if the election didn't go their way.)

One of my closest friends likes Trump and Carson. It doesn't matter how many of these quotes I trot out, she likes that they speak their minds even if she doesn't agree with everything they say.

And otherwise my friend, though she's a conservative, is a super nice person. It's just a reminder to me that a huge chunk of people in this country, even people you might not expect, are on-board with the Trump strategy.

Back