• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

One of my closest friends likes Trump and Carson. It doesn't matter how many of these quotes I trot out, she likes that they speak their minds even if she doesn't agree with everything they say.

And otherwise my friend, though she's a conservative, is a super nice person. It's just a reminder to me that a huge chunk of people in this country, even people you might not expect, are on-board with the Trump strategy.

You so rarely see that.

Same poll on Meet the Press had debate winners and losers. Winners: Carly-22%, Trump-18%, Rubio-13%, Cruz-12%, Carson-8%, Huckabee-5%. Losers: Trump-29%, Cruz-14%, Jeb-11%, Christie-9%, Graham-8%.

Think people are looking at Trump's numbers with no context of what his upside is. It's nowhere near 50% of the GOP nor is it above 20% of the general electorate.

Which is why he'd prefer as many candidates as possible through the primaries. He wouldn't have a shot against just Bush, but against Bush, Rubio, Christie, Carson, and Fiorina he might.

What's the deal with Red State. I thought that crowd was very receptive to Trump during the debate.

Erick Erickson is hardly some prissy moderate Boy Scout. He called David Souter a goat fucking child molester. Erickson also has a vendetta against Kasich. Erickson and RedState are much closer to the Tea Party than to Susan Collins. Was surprised that there's a gun lobby group (Gun Owners of America) to the right of the NRA. Fox got rid of Palin and clearly doesn't dig Trump anymore. There may be a large conservative segment to the right of Fox and RedState, but it's nowhere near 50% of the GOP or anywhere near 30% of the total electorate.

Trump isn't necessarily far right, nor are his supporters. They're just pissed off.

I chuckled when I read that; glad someone else caught it too.

It's rough out there when we're "not as nice as the party that's in favor of abortion."
You like killing, you just prefer it to be the underprivileged and non-Judeo Christian.

Trump isn't necessarily far right, nor are his supporters. They're just pissed off.

It is honestly difficult to place Trump on a left-right spectrum. His success is just more evidence that the tea party movement isn't about policy as much as it's about lashing out at groups of people you don't like. The entire movement is purely about resentment.

It is honestly difficult to place Trump on a left-right spectrum. His success is just more evidence that the tea party movement isn't about policy as much as it's about lashing out at groups of people you don't like. The entire movement is purely about resentment.

Exactly.

This is a brutally honest take on the polarization of American politics. Most people have little to no idea about actual policy. They latch on to soundbites to attack the "idiots" they're told they disagree with.

So Kasich isn't even showing up on radar? I don't understand people.

Just seems really weird to me that some small segment would rather say fuck off by voting for Trump than denying HRC the presidency and ensuring the 5 youngest SC judges would all be Dem appointees.

Just seems really weird to me that some small segment would rather say fuck off by voting for Trump than denying HRC the presidency and ensuring the 5 youngest SC judges would all be Dem appointees.

I don't think Trump supporters are capable of thinking that far ahead.

I don't think Trump supporters are capable of thinking that far ahead.

Probably true. Still laugh at the 2009 forums about Obamacare. People were screaming, "you work for us"!!! Where do these people work? Are they pissed their boss doesn't scream at people in public enough?

The polls I've seen would indicate that very little of Trump's support is coming from the Tea Party. I have trouble linking on my iPad, but all of the polls I looked at say Walker is the Tea Party's favorite, by far, over Trump.

A movement presumably led by working class white people that supports a government whose primary mission is to kill unions.

A movement presumably led by working class white people that supports a government whose primary mission is to kill unions.

He's taken women, Hispanics, and "the blacks" off the table so there aren't many demographics left. I'm not sure I would say the working people want to bust up unions though. I blame it entirely on people who watch reality tv and pay to text their votes in.

Christie blatantly lied during the debate. He claimed he was appointed a US Attorney on September 10, 2001 and strongly implied he was immediately involved in the 9/11 investigations. Christie wasn't nominated until December and was confirmed and assumed office in January. Barely made it into the debates, crappy approval ratings in NJ, and now this.

Sniper fire on the tarmac and sub-three hour marathons are signs of weakness and insecurity, but a tri-state official deliberately misrepresenting his role in 9/11 is shocking. Maybe Brian Williams can become his Press Secretary.

This article from Breitbart on the NBC/Survey Monkey poll is great stuff.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...op-outsiders-surge-in-first-post-debate-poll/

Texas Senator Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) was the second choice in the NBC Poll, receiving support from 13 percent of Republican voters. Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina was fourth, with 11 percent, following her widely recognized domination of the “undercard” debate earlier Thursday evening. The exact breakdown and percentage of the first seven spots in the NBC poll are: Trump (23), Cruz (13), Carson (11), Fiorina (8), Rubio (8), Bush (7) and Walker (7).
In other words, the highest poll ranking of a candidate acceptable to the Republicans in D.C. is Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), in fifth place with just 8 percent. This is stunning considering the obvious attacks on Trump by Fox moderators, the limited number of questions offered to Cruz and Carson and the relegation of Fiorina to a non-prime time debate slot. In the post-debate analysis, Fox News roundly criticized Trump and heaped praise on Rubio and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a former Fox News anchor.

Trump is a volatile chemical, but there is no doubt his presence on the stage helped attract far more people than would have otherwise watched an early Presidential primary debate. The GOP should embrace the opportunity to reach millions of new voters with its message.
Of course, that assumes the GOP has a message it wants to communicate.
Watching both debates, it is obvious that Trump, Cruz, Carson and Fiorina were the most interesting people on the stage. The rest of the candidates were political pod people, repeating anodyne talking points that had been focus-grouped to within an inch of their lives. One would be very hard-pressed to match the text of an answer to the candidate who said it.

Back