• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Did anyone watch that documentary Life According to Dick Cheney? I know its just one telling of the story, but it made me respect GW Bush a helluva lot more than I did. Cheney is a major POS

is it on Netflix?

It portrayed Cheney as the deceitful warmonger who preferred to work unilaterally for the war, and Bush insisting to go to Congress against Cheneys advice, so Cheney lied to Dick Armey about intelligence on Iraq to get the congress on board.
He kept W in the dark about the domestic spy program and the showdown with the Justice department while W was out campaigning. It got to the 11th hour and W still thought he had Justice's approval for the program, but they were actually threatening to all resign if the illegal parts weren't taken out. By the 6th year Bush marginalized Cheney and by the end of his 2nd term had told his staff he didn't want to take his calls. The Plame incident with Libby and Cheney insisting on a pardon and Georgie holding firm and not giving it. The firing of Cheney's buttbuddy Rumsfeld against Cheney's advice too, even though it was too little too late.

I followed this shit when it happened - but the presentation in the documentary was peppered with Cheney interviews basically saying, in his robotic, disaffected monotone, that he didn't give a shit. With the benefit of hindsight now vis a vis the ME, the guy fucked us bigtime and lied like a rug for 6 years to fearmonger and get it done. While I get that the buck stops with George, he trusted Cheney and put a lot of faith in him and relied on him and was misled big time, and by the end wasn't scared by Cheney even when he "got in Bush's face" over Libby.

I still think George was in over his head and was not up for the job mentally, but the guy wasn't heartless like Cheney. Cheney was the definition of a Chickenhawk, given his numerous (5 I think) Vietnam deferments combined with his insistence on bombing everyone.

Last edited:
Did anyone watch that documentary Life According to Dick Cheney? I know its just one telling of the story, but it made me respect GW Bush a helluva lot more than I did. Cheney is a major POS

I actually like W the person and HATE Cheney with a passion!!
I will check out the doc anyway.

No..I have not met W but I have read a lot about him and have seen plenty of documentaries that lead me to believe that he is not a bad guy at all.
Cheney's comments and attitude towards civilization makes me count my lucky stars that he was not President of the United States.

Who needs to meet a war criminal to know that they are a piece of shit human being?

And who the fuck tacitly defends Dick Cheney? Reevaluate some things, bruh.

What the fuck are you talking about? I was more referring to his absolute assertion that he likes W the person. Takes a big stretch to take a comment "you have met them?" as tacitly defending Dick Cheney.

Can't stand Cheney, but can never reconcile the Bushs' public image with their campaign tactics. Both Presidents come across as affable, but hired Atwater and Rove to destroy their political opponents. Will be interesting to see how ruthless Jeb's team will be with Walker and Hillary.

You have met them?

I've met both. I used to travel to Arlington, Va on business (mid 80's thru 2001) and frequently ate at some burger joint Cheney liked. I had no idea who he was at the time, but we did have a couple of brief conversations. I met Bush at an early fund raiser I got roped into by the managing partner of the company I ran. He came across as a real nice guy - had a tendency to call everyone Bud. He gave a good speech that day, unlike the crappy, rigid presentations he gave on TV. BTW, a guy sitting at our table told a great Bill Clinton story. When he was a student at Washington and Lee, he met Governor Bill at W&L's Mock Presidential Convention. He characterized Bill as an overgrown college student who enjoyed the things that night that many students enjoy...smoking pot a bedding coeds.

Last edited:
Still blows my mind that Bill got elected with all those allegations of cheating. And that his wife is the favorite to be president 24 years later. A whole generation of women learned it's not worth it to stand up to powerful philanderers and it's actually best to stick with them if it's political beneficial.

Here's a blurb about Bill's weekend at W&L:
"Longtime Arkansas governor Bill Clinton appeared at the 1988 convention, and to this day students recount the story of his surprise saxophone performance at an off-campus party..."
http://www.mockconvention.com/history/

Christie's numbers are cratering in Jersey: 37% favorable, 53% unfavorable. If he can't carry NJ, which blue states or swing states would he carry?

Christie's numbers are cratering in Jersey: 37% favorable, 53% unfavorable. If he can't carry NJ, which blue states or swing states would he carry?

How many times can Wrangor vote in Mississippi?

CPAC always cracks me up. The guy who organized the Jeb walkout was wearing a full Revoutionary War costume. Straw polls are also always interesting. 3000 votes cast and both Trump and Fiorina got more votes than Christie, Perry, and Jindal. Ben Carson and Ted Cruz got more votes than Jeb.

Christie has no shot to be president. If you think he does, feel free to drop a hundo on his +2000 odds or whatever they are now.

enhanced-20319-1425002350-12.jpg

That picture alone should be enough to scare Americans of where the crowd at CPAC wants to push the country. The US has so far managed to miss the wave of vitriolic right wing pseudo-Fascism which is rising in Europe via parties like UKIP (or FPO here in Austria, Front National in France, AfD in Germany, etc). Inviting these kinds of people to visit and speak at the US is frankly disgusting.

Also seems bizarre that the GOP skews old, especially on social issues but CPAC skews younger which allows the Pauls to win consistently. Carson was near the top and Santorum was near the middle, but Palin and Huckabee barely registered. Other than Iowa, social conservatives are getting squeezed out. Still think Jeb needs Christie in the race to draw some of the fire. Jeb's in trouble if GOP primary voters quickly coalesce around Walker rather than splintering.

Back