• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

You are against it being a legal option?

Ideally, yes, except in cases of rape and incest. But I'm a realist. I think we're gradually reaching a reasonable compromise on the issue in which the proper restrictions on abortion are discouraging the practice. From what I've seen, the majority of Americans are in the pro-choice/anti-abortion camp and the pro-abortion and anti-choice folks are just using the issue to rally their bases.

Let's just do a two-fer.

We can reexamine Roe v Wade and Citizens United. Should I draft the petition?

Nope. Law of the Land = Citizens United. Scalia said so. I wish you guys would "just give up" already.

[spoiler alert: it isn't]

b4s_schiavo0325_114046a_8col.jpg

You are against it being a legal option?

I really struggle with this issue, but if pressed, am generally opposed to abortion. I have a difficult time accepting abortion as a viable option after seeing a heartbeat (well two heartbeats) around 8-9 week mark. But I also don't have a uterus, so there is that.

I think most rational people recognize that while abortion is a loathsome thing there is still a place for it. I could see phasing it nearly to extinction (i.e. allowing it for the obvious reasons that have been covered) but along with that phase out other things occur with it. For starters, abstinence only education has to be abolished and sex education taught in every school in the country early on (like 6th grade). Contraceptives have to be free and readily accessible (more than they are now) up to and including emergency contraception that can be sold to anyone (any age) over the counter at any Pharmacy. Guaranteed care for all children also has to be guaranteed. I think that's the foundation for a compromise. Until the right is willing to bend on some of those policies, I wouldn't be comfortable ending abortion as it exists today.

I think most rational people recognize that while abortion is a loathsome thing there is still a place for it. I could see phasing it nearly to extinction (i.e. allowing it for the obvious reasons that have been covered) but along with that phase out other things occur with it. For starters, abstinence only education has to be abolished and sex education taught in every school in the country early on (like 6th grade). Contraceptives have to be free and readily accessible (more than they are now) up to and including emergency contraception that can be sold to anyone (any age) over the counter at any Pharmacy. Guaranteed care for all children also has to be guaranteed. I think that's the foundation for a compromise. Until the right is willing to bend on some of those policies, I wouldn't be comfortable ending abortion as it exists today.

Can I get that writing in writing?

That actually makes a lot of sense. Good post.

Ideally, yes, except in cases of rape and incest. But I'm a realist. I think we're gradually reaching a reasonable compromise on the issue in which the proper restrictions on abortion are discouraging the practice. From what I've seen, the majority of Americans are in the pro-choice/anti-abortion camp and the pro-abortion and anti-choice folks are just using the issue to rally their bases.

Great post

I demand that you show me a written contract where I agreed not to run through the halls of the hospital pulling plugs.
Social contract is an illusion, it helps people sleep at night. The only thing stopping you is a moral conscious and fear of punishment.

Social contract is an illusion, it helps people sleep at night. The only thing stopping you is a moral conscious and fear of punishment.

all law is an illusion. the only thing stopping you from breaking a contract or law is a moral conscious and fear of punishment.

your trolling joke/argument is dumb

I think abortion is a horrible thing that is very serious. But ultimately, it should be a choice.

I think our board's esteemed pro-lifers, like everywhere, will feel that way when their wholesome 16 year old daughter raised in their perfect two-parent home gets pregnant and her dreams of attending Liberty University are all messed up by the God-fearing boyfriend from Young Life who they never dreamed would get it in.

Further, the siphoning of wealth to the top 1% and the continuing economic starvation of large swaths of the US population are doing nothing to help abortion rates. Perhaps the conservatives should inform themselves on the far-reaching negative aspects of their ill-considered trickle-down economy which lines the pockets of robber-barons gaming the system and reward dishonest finance sector assholes. Babies cost money.

i just can never reconcile Conservative Anti-Nanny state mantra with the Anti-Choice stance.

I think abortion is a horrible thing that is very serious. But ultimately, it should be a choice.

I think our board's esteemed pro-lifers, like everywhere, will feel that way when their wholesome 16 year old daughter raised in their perfect two-parent home gets pregnant and her dreams of attending Liberty University are all messed up by the God-fearing boyfriend from Young Life who they never dreamed would get it in.

Further, the siphoning of wealth to the top 1% and the continuing economic starvation of large swaths of the US population are doing nothing to help abortion rates. Perhaps the conservatives should inform themselves on the far-reaching negative aspects of their ill-considered trickle-down economy which lines the pockets of robber-barons gaming the system and reward dishonest finance sector assholes. Babies cost money.

Update: #unbornlivesdonotmatter

i just can never reconcile Conservative Anti-Nanny state mantra with the Anti-Choice stance.

It doesn't make sense. Conservatives are continually working to make it harder and harder for single pregnant women to choose to have a kid.

Back