• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Approval ratings show what the country thinks about the product. Voting results is how the market applies pressure. I mention both. They are intertwined. In a normal market these two correlate. In government they are often inverse. Thus comparing government as a market and corps as a market is ridiculous.

You claim they are similar. Explain yourself in light of our current congress. I think I have explained myself pretty clearly.

It certainly does. I won't argue that. But the scope and size is light years away. If a corp had a 15% approval rating of its product it would feel pressure to make changes almost immediately. I think our opinions are pretty aligned on this topic.

I don't really disagree with you or W&B on this topic. But just for fun I googled up the approval ratings of various industry sectors. Take a look at all those at the bottom of the list and tell me which of them are making "immediate changes". And yes, I am well aware that the federal government is at the very bottom of the list. The point is that many segments of the private economy can have near- or below-zero approval ratings and still are so secure in their command of the market that they don't appear to GAF.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/12748/business-industry-sector-ratings.aspx

3lz5cns8qkm27oujdkwida.png

ETA: I wonder if we ranked these industry sectors by profitability, how the rankings between profitability and approval rating would correlate. Several of the lowest ranked industries appear to be some of the most profitable.

polls might reflect accurate feelings or they may not. election results are largely tied to the energy of the voting base(s), so also may not reflect actual feelings.

people didn't like Chickfila's issues but still like chicken

I don't really disagree with you or W&B on this topic. But just for fun I googled up the approval ratings of various industry sectors. Take a look at all those at the bottom of the list and tell me which of them are making "immediate changes". And yes, I am well aware that the federal government is at the very bottom of the list. The point is that many segments of the private economy can have near- or below-zero approval ratings and still are so secure in their command of the market that they don't appear to GAF.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/12748/business-industry-sector-ratings.aspx

3lz5cns8qkm27oujdkwida.png

ETA: I wonder if we ranked these industry sectors by profitability, how the rankings between profitability and approval rating would correlate. Several of the lowest ranked industries appear to be some of the most profitable.

Thanks. I was leading into using Time Warner and Comcast as examples.

Hopefully Wrangor will counter by saying these findings show that our free market isn't all it's sold to be. If so, we would end this discussion in agreement.

You still haven't answered the question. I never made a claim about our market being free. I just made the claim government "market" and corp market aren't comparable.

They aren't. You said they are. You have offered zero evidence. People can't switch governments. They can switch internet providers and they do all the time.

Are you saying the majority of people aren't pleased with their cable service? And this that compares to congress? Please clarify.

You still haven't answered the question. I never made a claim about our market being free. I just made the claim government "market" and corp market aren't comparable.

They aren't. You said they are. You have offered zero evidence. People can't switch governments. They can switch internet providers and they do all the time.

Are you saying the majority of people aren't pleased with their cable service? And this that compares to congress? Please clarify.

I think he is saying that you can switch representatives within government, not switch governments.

Much like you can switch gas companies, but you can't switch Oil and Gas Industry. Or in your example, people can switch internet providers but not switch telecom industries.

I think he is saying that you can switch representatives within government, not switch governments.

Much like you can switch gas companies, but you can't switch Oil and Gas Industry. Or in your example, people can switch internet providers but not switch telecom industries.

I would like ph to answer. We don't switch reps though. That is the point. People switch companies all the time. I also want clarification on him comparing the approval of congress and cable companies. Is he saying people don't like their cable?

No worries on you. It is just a classic PH technique in a discussion. He avoids the question for a while then comes back in and snipes a few points from someone else in order to avoid the original question.

Yes. And yes.

And still both are over 50%. Which means they have more people who are satisfied than who are not. Congress doesn't even have 20%. The two are not even close.

And still both are over 50%. Which means they have more people who are satisfied than who are not. Congress doesn't even have 20%. The two are not even close.

It's not a percentage. It's an index. The calculations and weights are somewhat complex and not public.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Customer_Satisfaction_Index

A score of 60 doesn't translate to 60% approval.

They've been the two worst rated companies over at least the last decade. The free market hasn't replaced them and approval has not gone up.

Last edited:
It's not a percentage. It's a scale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Customer_Satisfaction_Index

A score of 60 doesn't translate to 60% approval.

They've been the two worst rated companies over at least the last decade. The free market hasn't replaced them and approval has not gone up.

Excellent point. Here is an article that shows the free market at work. As customer satisfaction drops customer loyalty drops. That doesn't happen in government. Why?

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/...erity-of-comcasts-customer-service-conundrum/

I know because that is the reality. Look at leadership. Look at the longevity of government jobs. They don't turn over. People don't change parties. Turnover is low in congress and it is even lower in the standard government job. You know this. You complain about it.

Using cable companies as a measure of free market acceptance is a pretty shitty premise.

"My congressperson might be Satan himself, but I'll be damned if I vote for a member of the other party!"

Back