• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

It's not "my story." Your argument is with the data. Your Cold War on the Math is a losing and unworthy battle.

Let me know where to send the baby gift for your 12 year old and my congrats on completing her education in 7th grade/almost-graduation gift. I can't wait for you to put your money where your mouth is in your argument with Senator Moynihan.

My argument is that other people's children shouldn't have to settle for lower expectations than each of us has for our own kids.

I genuinely have no idea what you are saying. You won't argue directly. You go off in jokes and rhetoric and moralistic la-la land and #narrative. Enjoy yourself.

I genuinely have no idea what you are saying. You won't argue directly. You go off in jokes and rhetoric and moralistic la-la land and #narrative. Enjoy yourself.

You know full well that you wouldn't tolerate the teenage pregnancy and incomplete educations from your own children (Moynihan won't be "de-bunked" in the Townie household, I'm guessing) that you expect other people (unstated: for whom you have lower expectations) to settle for.

so you think poor people should have higher expectations than letting their kids get pregnant, an expectation that has already resulted in the dramatic reduction in teen pregnancy? cool story, hansel

so you think poor people should have higher expectations than letting their kids get pregnant, an expectation that has already resulted in the dramatic reduction in teen pregnancy? cool story, hansel

Not just "poor people", but I'd like for you and Townie to share that expectation for a change.

You know full well that you wouldn't tolerate the teenage pregnancy and incomplete educations from your own children (Moynihan won't be "de-bunked" in the Townie household, I'm guessing) that you expect other people (unstated: for whom you have lower expectations) to settle for.

Wtf does "wouldn't tolerate" mean?

There are several teenage pregnancies within my extended family. Two of my cousins had to drop out of school to take care of unplanned pregnancies. One was headed for a football scholarship at Michigan State. Should I shun them at family reunions? Keep them off the Christmas card list?

Oddly, it's not the liberal, educated part of my family tree that gets government assistance. It's the poor, undereducated, rural, social conservative part.

Maybe teenage birth rates are dropping because the teenagers are doing the responsible thing and having abortions so that they don't raise a child in a one parent household just like jhmd supports

Wtf does "wouldn't tolerate" mean?

There are several teenage pregnancies within my extended family. Two of my cousins had to drop out of school to take care of unplanned pregnancies. One was headed for a football scholarship at Michigan State. Should I shun them at family reunions? Keep them off the Christmas card list?

Oddly, it's not the liberal, educated part of my family tree that gets government assistance. It's the poor, undereducated, rural, social conservative part.

Your niece would have made a great run stopper for Sparty. Shame.

I don't know why you would shun anyone, given that Moynihan has been #debunked! and the data #neversupported my wild theory that completed educations and soundly planned families should be policy goals.

I know I do! Why doesn't the ownership class jhmd?

See who is issuing the apologies and who is advocating that we at the very least talk about this problem. Note carefully who doesn't want to talk about it.

LOL that nobody wants to talk about single mothers and poverty. About 50% of the posts on the Tunnels are JHMD trolling about single mothers and poverty and people feeding the troll.

See who is issuing the apologies and who is advocating that we at the very least talk about this problem. Note carefully who doesn't want to talk about it.

did you want to talk about how social pressures and education have resulted in a trend towards the goal you're looking for?

did you want to talk about how social pressures and education have resulted in a trend towards the goal you're looking for?

According to my buddy Townie, that's all a wasted effort, since Moynihan was wrong. Of course, you'd have to believe that Townie believes what Townie says on this topic (so there's your out).

I'm happy the numbers are moving in the right direction and will not be surprised when qualities of life (continue to) follow. Sitting around issuing apologies for self-destructive behaviors and blaming other people/factors for predictably bad outcomes was never much of a plan.

Im looking forward to high wages for everyone in America too jhmd. Now that these rates are dropping and these young Americans are living up to our high expectations, we will see the end of the poverty epidemic in America and a return to high wages and upward mobility. American corporations and SMBs will certainly welcome this great development,.

Your niece would have made a great run stopper for Sparty. Shame.

I don't know why you would shun anyone, given that Moynihan has been #debunked! and the data #neversupported my wild theory that completed educations and soundly planned families should be policy goals.

We don't use the Moynihan report to guide policy anymore because the stats behind it are from the Civil Rights Act era. The Panel Study of Income Dynamics (1983) is cited far more often today, for example. And when the dependency rate has dropped from 5.8% in 1995 to 3.8% in 2005 to 2.9% in 2010, why is this still your rallying cry?

I think an important distinction between people who care about people and people who care about politics is when you hear one group talking about reducing dependence and another talking about reducing poverty. We've cut dependency down consistently, but we haven't cut down poverty at all. In fact, while dependency has dropped, poverty has risen.

And if you really believe that there are more single mothers because of a culture of poverty than because of a lack of jobs or because of the drug war in America, you still drink that Moynihan kool-aid, I've got nothing for you.

And if you really believe that there are more single mothers because of a culture of poverty than because of a lack of jobs or because of the drug war in America, you still drink that Moynihan kool-aid, I've got nothing for you.

You're blaming conception out of wedlock on drug prosecutions? But you're not issuing any apologies, right? Right.

You're blaming conception out of wedlock on drug prosecutions? But you're not issuing any apologies, right? Right.

It's tough to marry and rely on income from a spouse in prison.

Another key reason we've moved on from Moynihan...maybe because "The Negro Family: The Case For National Action" was about black poverty, and...you know, those pesky numbers again:

SNAPCharts1_1.png

And because most welfare recipients work now, as opposed to what the welfare rolls looked like in the 60s:

SNAPCharts3_1.png

But keep beating that Moynihan drum.

Hence my post that the ownership class is not interested in putting an end to the dole. The dole is their friend.

Back