• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

Yep, Trump’s wall already has worked.

As a political stunt.

For the weak-minded.

Can we all agree that the parts of France that built a wall have very few Mexicans?

I can’t believe someone’s actually trying to argue that walls are effective

The History of China, which is only one long uninterrupted dynasty, that has never been invaded, taken over or overthrown would argue otherwise.

Speaking of which, with his affinity for walls, you would think Trump would have better relations with the Chinese. The only wall that the Russian's built got torn down by David Hasselhoff.

They were in the 16th century.

The Berlin Wall wasn't effective because it was there. It was effective because of the guys with machine guns.

I've heard that China wasn't able to finish the Great Wall due to political reasons.

the decision not to build fortifications along the Belgian frontier was at least in part political, and when the political situation changed, they started to build fortifications there too

the French expected the Germans to attack through Belgium because they felt they could stop them there with Belgian and British help; the Belgians obviously would have to join the French if the Germans attacked their country but the British could also not remain neutral if the Germans attacked through Belgium

the politics never changed. the plan was never to build 'maginot' type fortifications all the way to the sea. just because in the run up to actual war in the late 30s the french started to bolster the battle field doesn't mean they suddenly changed strategies.

it seems like you're confusing pre-wwi politics and pre-ww 2 politics. the british and french were already in agreement about fighting the germans. there wasn't a grand question of whether or not the Brits (or Beligians) would fight. The q

I said the political situation changed, and it did. The Belgians repudiated the defense treaty with France and declared themselves neutral in 1936 because the French did nothing when the Germans re-militarized the Rhineland. The Belgians thought France had become unreliable. As I said, the political situation changed.

The fortifications did not extend through the Ardennes Forest (which was believed to be impenetrable by Commander-in-Chief Maurice Gamelin) or along France's border with Belgium, because the two countries had signed an alliance in 1920, by which the French army would operate in Belgium if the German forces invaded. However, after France had failed to counter Germany's remilitarisation of the Rhineland, Belgium—thinking that France was not a reliable ally—abrogated the treaty in 1936 and declared neutrality. France quickly extended the Maginot Line along the Franco-Belgian border, but not to the standard of the rest of the line.

During the interwar years, there were a lot of tensions between the Germans and the French over how best to deal with Germany and a potential German threat, a threat which they could not define precisely in a mutually satisfactory way. The French felt, quite rightly, that they could not defeat Germany without the help of another Great Power. Britain could best be forced to support France if it went to war against Germany by making sure that any German attack would come near the channel ports.

You jumped to the erroneous assumption that I was confusing the situation before WWI with that preceding WWII. I was not. The decision involving the building of the Maginot line without extending it along the Belgian border until after the Belgians withdrew from their defense treaty with the French was in some ways a political decision. In light of the facts, anyone who claims otherwise is mistaken.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/23/coast-guard-admiral-shutdown-1120190

"GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN

Coast Guard's top admiral criticizes 'unacceptable' impact of the shutdown"

"“Ultimately, I find it unacceptable that Coast Guard men and women have to rely on food pantries and donations to get through day-to-day life as service members,” Adm. Karl Schultz said in a video posted to his Twitter account."

Hundreds of IRS employees are skipping work. That could delay tax refunds.

Not receiving pay for more than a month has taken a toll on employees across the government, but especially on those who are not in high-salary jobs. The employees summoned back from furlough to process tax refunds are paid between $25,800 and $51,000 a year, depending on their seniority. IRS employees will miss a second paycheck Monday if the government does not reopen this week.

USDA meat inspectors also have begun calling in sick — in numbers large enough to trigger an agency crackdown. The inspectors were told Jan. 11 to bring in a doctor’s note, even if they were ill for a single day, records show.

Six days later, after protests from union leaders, agency officials reverted to existing policy, which calls for a doctor’s note after three days.

I don't want sick food inspectors.

Down to 34% approval in AP polling from 42% last month - one of the biggest monthly drops in the poll's history. 34% is very low.

Back