• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

That has to be fake.

I'm not sure what you mean by fake. Challenge coins aren't official. All it takes to make a challenge coin is for a few people to throw money in the hat and order a few. It's not much different than ordering a t-shirt or baseball cap with a custom slogan on it.

He did say they should get a loan.

Wouldn't you need to pay interest on a bridge loan? Why should they pay interest because their employer decided to hold their paychecks for ransom?

Wouldn't you need to pay interest on a bridge loan? Why should they pay interest because their employer decided to hold their paychecks for ransom?

i thought federal credit unions were giving 0% loans for furloughed fed workers

I'm not sure what you mean by fake. Challenge coins aren't official. All it takes to make a challenge coin is for a few people to throw money in the hat and order a few. It's not much different than ordering a t-shirt or baseball cap with a custom slogan on it.

Oh, so they've made it themselves as sort of a joke/protest? That makes sense.

Checked in on C-Span ahead of the votes today, some Republicans are quite angry that the Coast Guard is currently not getting paid. I assume they are voting for the CR to re-open the government. Good on ya, Ted Cruz!

I assume there are other threads on this, but we are headed for a crisis of epic proportions if 40% of people in this country can’t cover a $400 expense and 55M lack emergency savings. Surely for the vast majority of these folks, this isn’t a matter of inability but mismanagement. Why are Americans so irresponsible when it comes to finances?

Because they all think they should live like the 1%.

I assume there are other threads on this, but we are headed for a crisis of epic proportions if 40% of people in this country can’t cover a $400 expense and 55M lack emergency savings. Surely for the vast majority of these folks, this isn’t a matter of inability but mismanagement. Why are Americans so irresponsible when it comes to finances?

this is what concerns you?

pay them for their labor and they won’t have financial problems

not paying federal workers is mismanagement

Why is the trump administration so irresponsible when it comes to finances?

Shut the fuck up, Donny

the insidious between the lines message is that you believe that financial management is a rather simple matter - common sense, really - and so most people are lazy.

the insidious between the lines message is that you believe that financial management is a rather simple matter - common sense, really - and so most people are lazy.

I would love to see how far OGB posters could make it without getting paid for two months. The griping would be off the fucking charts.

I would love to see how far OGB posters could make it without getting paid for two months. The griping would be off the fucking charts.

Of course it would. Not the same as not being able to cover $400 though.

Of course we (as a society) can and should pay people wages that not only are adequate for living but also enable savings and investing.

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again

Of course we (as a society) can and should pay people wages that not only are adequate for living but also enable savings and investing.

Agreed

(though my reading of the ACS 5 year estimates is that the modal employer/job doesn’t pay wages that allow for this)?

Why do you think it's about mismanagement instead of income inequality?

$400 is a lot of money. That's 5-10 days of take home pay for many Americans.

Because few people have self control when a bank offers ya tens of thousands of dollars in credit card limits just to lock ya in to 25% interest for the rest of your life.

Yep

Credit cards are great for some folks who pay them off every month. Not so much for anyone else.

They are a great tool for transferring money from poorer or less responsible folks to less poor or more responsible folks.

Back