• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

TSA agents at the airport make about $36k per year, not $50K. $17/hour, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks per year is $35,360.

Salary Expectations for Airport Security Jobs
Unlike most federal agencies that use the general schedule (GS) grading system to determine salary ranges, the TSA uses an SV grading system, a discrete salary system with pay ranges that differ from the GS system. Airport security jobs typically begin at the D pay band, which is $25,518 to $38,277. The promotion potential is the E pay band, which is $29,302 to $44,007.

In addition to the base salary for TSA airport jobs, individuals may receive a locality pay, depending on where the job is located. For example, a transportation security officer in Gunnison, Colorado, earns a starting salary of between $29,422 and $44,134, which reflects a locality pay of 14.16 percent.

Other pay bands for TSA careers include:

Pay Band F: $33,627-$50,494
Pay Band G: $39,358-$60,982
Pay Band H: $48,007-$74,390
Pay Band I: $58,495-$90,717
Pay Band J: $71,364-$110,612
Pay Band K: $85,311-$132,237
Pay Band L: $101,962-$155,500
Pay Band M: $120,236-$155,500

Last edited:
Nice of junebug to take up the personal responsibility ball, up next bootstraps

Yep, it's the old "I've got mine and screw you - go fend for yourself" GOP philosophy that everyone has come to know and love. I know a surprising number of older Republicans who spout the whole "too many people on welfare and can't pay for things" mantra who have pretty much lived their whole life on personal family welfare - "donations" from mommy and daddy to their bank accounts, often well into middle age. And when mom and pop passed, they inherited much of what they had left. I know one who got his house built (a nice one) based on his parents essentially paying for it. To listen to them, though, they are the epitome of sound financial literacy and have always made responsible financial decisions - it's the poors and minorities who have problems.

Last edited:
Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again

More profiles in courage. 20 of them could have just voted for that bill and reopened the government.

I know the numbers. It is possible to save on an average salary in a place where the cost of living is average. Sacrifices have to be made, and they aren’t being made in this country. Televisions, iphones, and Audis make sure of that.

You forgot about spending all your food stamps on steak and lobster.

Salary Expectations for Airport Security Jobs
Unlike most federal agencies that use the general schedule (GS) grading system to determine salary ranges, the TSA uses an SV grading system, a discrete salary system with pay ranges that differ from the GS system. Airport security jobs typically begin at the D pay band, which is $25,518 to $38,277. The promotion potential is the E pay band, which is $29,302 to $44,007.

In addition to the base salary for TSA airport jobs, individuals may receive a locality pay, depending on where the job is located. For example, a transportation security officer in Gunnison, Colorado, earns a starting salary of between $29,422 and $44,134, which reflects a locality pay of 14.16 percent.

Other pay bands for TSA careers include:

Pay Band F: $33,627-$50,494
Pay Band G: $39,358-$60,982
Pay Band H: $48,007-$74,390
Pay Band I: $58,495-$90,717
Pay Band J: $71,364-$110,612
Pay Band K: $85,311-$132,237
Pay Band L: $101,962-$155,500
Pay Band M: $120,236-$155,500

Thanks. Those employees screening your bags and checking Id’s are in the $25-44K range not the $155K range. So those dudes in the security line were over estimating the screeners salaries by at least $6K but probably more like $15K and as much as $25K.

Thanks. Those employees screening your bags and checking Id’s are in the $25-44K range not the $155K range. So those dudes in the security line were over estimating the screeners salaries by at least $6K but probably more like $15K and as much as $25K.

The ones who just started are. If you get one pay bump and live in someplace that isnt a shithole you're making near $50K. You might also be 23 years old and living with your parents. It can't be that hard to get seniority at a TSA checkpoint.

The ones who just started are. If you get one pay bump and live in someplace that isnt a shithole you're making near $50K. You might also be 23 years old and living with your parents. It can't be that hard to get seniority at a TSA checkpoint.

bcd1e2f26e20251f340127a90c52ad11.jpg

Apparently somewhere out there is the whole 24 minute speech, but ain't nobody got time for that. This is worth 3 minutes and 12 seconds though.

The whole speech is quite something; Sen Bennet calls out a lot of bullshit about Washington in general, the freedom caucus, etc. He's usually pretty reserved, so to see him go off like this clearly shows how pissed he is with Cruz, among others.

This was also after Ted Cruz gave a speech and complained (paraphrased) "yeah, we get it, you hate the president! That doesn't mean you should shut down the government."

Seriously, Ted Cruz.

I'm impressed by Bennet's restraint.

Conservatives developed one helluva message in the 80s and had a helluva messenger deliver it, and it became an unquestionable truth. The middle class whites who bought into it then indoctrinated their kids, like Junebug. They do not doubt its veracity for a moment.

I guess we are still waiting for the deregulated financial sector, and it’s parter supply-side economics, to produce the result Reagan bewitched legions of working class whites into expecting while they struggle paycheck to paycheck hoping a medical emergency or layoff doesn’t happen. Tsk tsk for having a TV and an iPhone, that wasn’t part of the 40 year deal

I know the numbers. It is possible to save on an average salary in a place where the cost of living is average. Sacrifices have to be made, and they aren’t being made in this country. Televisions, iphones, and Audis make sure of that.

“Televisions, iPhones, and Audis.”

Wow.

Thanks for kind of answering my question. So you’re saying anybody who makes less than average will likely struggle. Well that’s over half the population.

A country in which someone has to go without a TV and phone in order to survive economically is a country that needs to be fixed.

Great post, Bake.

Televisions is my favorite of the conservative points, not just TVs but flat screens!!! You can get a new 40in flat screen TV for like 150 dollars and it’s going to to last what at least 3 years, so a crazy 1 dollar a week for that insane luxury known as a flat screen.

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again

Ten TVs can get you avocado toast.

Televisions is my favorite of the conservative points, not just TVs but flat screens!!! You can get a new 40in flat screen TV for like 150 dollars and it’s going to to last what at least 3 years, so a crazy 1 dollar a week for that insane luxury known as a flat screen.

But then they only have $250 left in their emergency cash fund.

Apparently somewhere out there is the whole 24 minute speech, but ain't nobody got time for that. This is worth 3 minutes and 12 seconds though.

Watched the whole thing. Bravo. Come on 'merica, wake up.

From the President of the Transportation Workers Union today, to the Air Division Members: "As the federal government shutdown drags on, the safety and security risks associated with air travel increase every day. We are beyond the normal safety thresholds and it is becoming increasingly dangerous to fly. The American flying public is imperiled.”

“The chaos of this shutdown has severely eroded the layers of safety protocols that keep our aviation system safe. As frontline airline workers, you must be extra diligent regarding safety and security. Lives may literally depend on it.”

Didn't Republicans say that one of the things that would cause them to end the shutdown would be if the public safety was imperiled?

The numbers don’t lie. Much less than 40% of the population lives below the poverty line, yet 40% of the population can’t pay an unexpected $400 bill. So, for the majority of the 40%, the problem isn’t that they don’t have the means to come up with $400. The problem is that they frittered it away, likely on material goods.

I lived at the poverty line for several years before law school. It was tough financially, but, even on that amount of money, I was able to save well over $400. I ate a lot of ramen noodles, drove a shitty car, and drank bud light at happy hours. No TV, no cell phone, and no Audi. Somehow, life went on.

It was pretty irresponsible of you to buy beer if you didn’t have a cell phone given the professional communication expectations of modern life.

Painters don’t need cell phones, brah. You just show up, find out what color you are supposed to use, and paint.

Plus, $1 bud lights don’t move the needle.

They add up. I just wish you believed in personal responsibility instead of spending all your money on booze.

Back