• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I'm surprised everyone likes Klinsmann so much on here. Every time he speaks he pisses me off

i'm not sure people do like klinsmann around here

very much a wait and see approach, and it's gonna be really tough to gauge his performance given our group

I disagree with Klinsmann's decision on Donovan, but hold out hope that it will end up having an addition by subtraction kind of impact on the team. (Hopefully, the shared burden of winning games will be spread out across 11 players rather than having them all look to Donovan to provide the necessary magic.)

Q) Should I go to Costa Rica - Uruguay in Fortaleza on June 14th?

A) Of course.

OFFICIAL: Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe and Raúl Meireles won't be playing for Portugal against Mexico tomorrow.

I was questioning the choice of Klinsmann in that 1st year when we were tying the likes of Canada and Antigua and Barbuda. Might have had an easier time against just Barbuda. But the team seems to have responded better over the last couple of years and gotten us back to being the best of concacaf, though that's not saying much. What I fault him for with Donovan is not approaching him to see if he was good with playing as a 2nd half offensive sub in games where we needed an offensive lift. Sounds like, however, Klinsmann just didn't like him and said eff Donovan. While I can see why you'd want a kid like Green to be on the team (though not actually play), I have zero idea why you'd want Davis over Donovan. That said, this team doesn't look like it's going to be in a few 1-0 or 1-1 games like in 2010. The offense doesn't look like a weak spot on this team. This team problems are all in the back 4. With or without Donovan, I'm afraid we're going to lose a couple of 4-2 games.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/sao-paulo-metro-trains-go-on-strike-one-week-before-world-cup-060514?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:FOXSoccer

Sao Paulo trains go on strike. I have a feeling this is going to be a disastrous World Cup for those attending. I hope not, but I'm bracing for the stories of people not being able to get into the stadium until halftime due to traffic/inefficient public transportation as well as other logistical nightmares such as delayed/cancelled flights and trains between cities, etc.

Hmmmm... Ronaldo's injury doesn't sound as quick of a fix as I initially thought.

I dealt with patellar tendinitis throughout HS. It sucks and is most definitely not a quick fix. I'm not even sure sitting out a match would help. Just running forward feels like you have ice picks jabbing into your legs right below your kneecaps. Absent the opportunity for rest, it just comes down to pain management/tolerance.

I dealt with patellar tendinitis throughout HS. It sucks and is most definitely not a quick fix. I'm not even sure sitting out a match would help. Just running forward feels like you have ice picks jabbing into your legs right below your kneecaps. Absent the opportunity for rest, it just comes down to pain management/tolerance.

He needs a solid two months off to really fix the problem. Only thing he can do now is get an injection and hope it doesn't hinder him too much. I'd be willing to bet that his thigh injury is a result of him overcompensating for the chronic knee pain. I really think Germany-rest-Ghana is the best plan for him as a player and for Portugal. He could definitely overdo it and hurt something else significantly. The knee really isnt in that much risk of making worse than it already is. However, I don't expect that he or Portugal will subscribe to that despite what the doctors might tell him.

This is pretty spectacular

t0k1iET.gif

He needs a solid two months off to really fix the problem. Only thing he can do now is get an injection and hope it doesn't hinder him too much. I'd be willing to bet that his thigh injury is a result of him overcompensating for the chronic knee pain. I really think Germany-rest-Ghana is the best plan for him as a player and for Portugal. He could definitely overdo it and hurt something else significantly. The knee really isnt in that much risk of making worse than it already is. However, I don't expect that he or Portugal will subscribe to that despite what the doctors might tell him.

Don't get your hopes up. He'll be fine.

Don't get your hopes up. He'll be fine.

Oh I fully expect him to play, but he'll probably be at 80%(which is still terrifying). I just don't think it's the correct decision medically for him or for Portugal if they are planning to advance far into the tournament which I expect they are.

Back