• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

@TaylorTwellman: Would not be shocked if Jermaine Jones is tried at CB for @J_Klinsmann early in this next cycle. #USMNT

Wow...he could theoretically be playing international football until the mid 2030's.

I'll never forget that the day Cal Ripken set the consecutive games record, Rickey Henderson did not play because he wasn't mentally prepared to play that day.

Which is fitting, since playing every day just to play every day is complete horseshit. Rickey Henderson was a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better baseball player than Cal Ripken, and his teams were more successful as well. Maybe taking a break every once in a while was the smart thing, and "Ironman" Cal running himself into the ground at the end of every season was the dumb one (hint - it was probably Cal).

Which is fitting, since playing every day just to play every day is complete horseshit. Rickey Henderson was a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better baseball player than Cal Ripken, and his teams were more successful as well. Maybe taking a break every once in a while was the smart thing, and "Ironman" Cal running himself into the ground at the end of every season was the dumb one (hint - it was probably Cal).

I'd say both guys had good careers. Ricky was clearly more naturally gifted than Cal though, no doubt about that.

CLT to LHR on 11/11/14
DUB to CLT on 11/19/14

Round trip- $613.30

Hoe boyyyy that's tempting

I wish I had the discipline to not read Jurgen quotes. I tell myself that I should just ignore them, but I never do and inevitably I end up beyond frustrated when I do read them.

Seriously? The guy redefined the SS position offensively, made 19 all-star teams, was twice the AL MVP, has a WS ring, and is in the HOF. No idea why you fault the guy for playing every day, but I wouldn't call that horseshit. Rickey Henderson was fast, but to claim he's MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better at baseball than Cal is ridiculous.

Seriously? The guy redefined the SS position offensively, made 19 all-star teams, was twice the AL MVP, has a WS ring, and is in the HOF. No idea why you fault the guy for playing every day, but I wouldn't call that horseshit. Rickey Henderson was fast, but to claim he's MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better at baseball than Cal is ridiculous.

Meh. Robin Yount was still playing when Ripken broke in and Ernie Banks won two MVP awards as a SS in the late 50's with 40+ home runs. Career .276 hitters who never hit more than 34 home runs aren't really redefiners in my book. I'm not saying those aren't great numbers, but it's not like it was some kind of breakthrough.

Besides, he was probably juicing at the end of his career just like everyone else.

Returning to soccer, the Danes are pretty damn good.

Apparently a drone flew into the stadium in Belgrade, a fight started, and they ended the match? WTF

O'SHEA!!!! Wow. Germany 1 Ireland 1 in Germany.

Shades of this:

Yeah, if my sister wasn't getting married that weekend I'd be in

I think I'm going to do it. My best friend said he's 80% in and will give a final answer tonight. He has the vacation days and is getting them approved now. I do not have the vacation days, so I may get the can.

#WORTH

Back