• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Yedlin needs to be our first choice back. I'd like to see him try Alvarado out in LB or RB sometime. Dude sucks in the center, but good Lord he's fast. If he has even a halfway decent cross, it might be worth it.

Do we really need another player out of position?

Do we really need another player out of position?

Well, when we have a glut of players in several positions and holes in others, what would you suggest we do? Put mediocre players in those positions or good players in those positions?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

USMNT needs to go to a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with wingbacks. We have no wingers and our outside backs are our best chance of providing width. And extra CB should help clean up the eventual mistakes the others make as well, since we have no good CB right now.

USMNT needs to go to a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with wingbacks. We have no wingers and our outside backs are our best chance of providing width. And extra CB should help clean up the eventual mistakes the others make as well, since we have no good CB right now.

Maybe say it again, just in case

LvG trying it at United made less sense to me. He played good wingers at wing back instead of pushing aggressive outside backs up to those wing back spots.

Have we tried that at all?

I can't remember a time in the Jurgen era where we didn't play 4 in the back. Could be forgetting one I suppose.

I can't think of Jurgen ever playing anything other than a back 4 as well. At least from the start of the match. I would bet we've gone 3 back (chasing the game) or 5 back (defending a lead) late on at some point.

I thought JK tried the 5 in the back formation for one friendly in the past year or so and abandoned it at half time.

Well, when we have a glut of players in several positions and holes in others, what would you suggest we do? Put mediocre players in those positions or good players in those positions?

Cameron plays out of position at Stoke, and I'd take him at RB in the Gold Cup in a heartbeat over Chandler.

I thought JK tried the 5 in the back formation for one friendly in the past year or so and abandoned it at half time.

Good call, it was the Chile away game where that experiment was coupled with the Jermaine Jones at centerback experiment

I would like to see Klinsmann try this sometime. That's what friendlies are for, Jurgen

Good call, it was the Chile away game where that experiment was coupled with the Jermaine Jones at centerback experiment

I don't remember this, but I'm an old.

When's the next friendly? Peru? Go with Brooks-Gonzalez-Cameron as back three. Try it. Why not?

BTW, do you even watch the Premier League? If so, you'd know whom he is. He's on TV literally every weekend during American coverage of English soccer.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was calling you out, but I have literally never heard of him. I watch Premier League in a bar so I rarely pay attention to analysts.

Back