• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

going from 4 defenders to 5 defenders trying to shore up a lead is one of my least favorite tactics in the game

fucks with the spacing and almost always allows your opponent to exploit tactics

that's why most intelligent managers would only pull the trigger on doing that with 5 minutes to play or fewer. its kind of like going out of your normal offense in basketball to a slow down half court approach. you dont want to do it too early out of fear that the rythem could be hampered. but you dont want to do it too late either.

I don't remember this, but I'm an old.

When's the next friendly? Peru? Go with Brooks-Gonzalez-Cameron as back three. Try it. Why not?

Cameron should be the middle of the 3 because he is best with the ball at his feet, IMO. Could play the psuedo-libero position.

For the 5 in the back crowd, what midfield combination do you go with? I'm getting more stuck there in the hypothetical than the defense

---------------- Beckerman -----------------------
------- Bradley -------------- Mix/Bedoya -----

Beckerman holding for a lack of a better option.

Bradley's at his best when he's going forward. That might be a little too far back to drop him

---------------- Beckerman -----------------------
------- Bradley -------------- Mix/Bedoya -----

Beckerman holding for a lack of a better option.

That's my issue too, I feel like the Beckerman role as is doesn't really have a place in this system, but at the same time I want someone behind Bradley to free him up more. If Jermaine was healthy I think he would fit great there, but with the current group I can't come up with a combo I like in that format.

I think Jermaine gets too far forward too. Bradley seems to defer to him in this regard when they play together

Not being as tactically astute as most of you I simply have some questions. Doesn't it seem like Klinzy is already pretty comfortable giving away wide spaces defensively, and allowing the centerbacks, Keepers( best in the world at times), and some recovery runs by the FB's to take care of things? And couple that with his love of attacking wide players, so why wouldn't a 3-5-2 be attractive to him? When you think about it, alot of our defensive breakdowns are on runs thru the center where marking is lax. We do ok defending wide crosses. If that's true wouldn't a compact 3 man back work ok? And lastly, aside from the obvious benefit of having Yedlin/ Johnson as true wingers, what's the preferred lineup and scheme for the 3 central midfielders that maximizes Bradley's effectiveness? BTW, I don't follow ManU and although I'm aware of LVG's 3 man back line, I haven't been watching them much. Would it be fair to say that in the 3-5-2 the improved attack and midfield ball pressure is as important as anything? It does seem like tactically, the US tends to sit back, not pressure the ball, win it in the back, and then counter more frequently, than when we pressure the ball in the middle, play wide, and go. Blah, Blah, Blah Fusiondad....sorry, just do enjoy the soccer threads.

Not being as tactically astute as most of you I simply have some questions. Doesn't it seem like Klinzy is already pretty comfortable giving away wide spaces defensively, and allowing the centerbacks, Keepers( best in the world at times), and some recovery runs by the FB's to take care of things? And couple that with his love of attacking wide players, so why wouldn't a 3-5-2 be attractive to him? When you think about it, alot of our defensive breakdowns are on runs thru the center where marking is lax. We do ok defending wide crosses. If that's true wouldn't a compact 3 man back work ok? And lastly, aside from the obvious benefit of having Yedlin/ Johnson as true wingers, what's the preferred lineup and scheme for the 3 central midfielders that maximizes Bradley's effectiveness? BTW, I don't follow ManU and although I'm aware of LVG's 3 man back line, I haven't been watching them much. Would it be fair to say that in the 3-5-2 the improved attack and midfield ball pressure is as important as anything? It does seem like tactically, the US tends to sit back, not pressure the ball, win it in the back, and then counter more frequently, than when we pressure the ball in the middle, play wide, and go. Blah, Blah, Blah Fusiondad....sorry, just do enjoy the soccer threads.

No

Am I remembering incorrectly, or are we not a year or so removed from everyone clamoring for Chandler to get healthy because he would be the missing piece at CB/RB?

I feel like everyone was saying "If only Timmy Chandler was healthy!"

And what's the dream 3-5-2/5-3-2?

-----------Jozy-------------Dempsey----------
--------------------Bradley--------------------
-------Beckerman-----------Jones---------------
--Fab----------------------------------Yedlin--
-------Brooks---Cameron----Gonzalez--------
--------------------Guzan------------------

I don't know the CB's well enough, but I thought Besler would be back there....

Yeah it's stunning I know but Chandler isn't nearly as good as we were lead to believe. And no one ever thought he'd be a CB.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or are we not a year or so removed from everyone clamoring for Chandler to get healthy because he would be the missing piece at CB/RB?

I feel like everyone was saying "If only Timmy Chandler was healthy!"

And what's the dream 3-5-2/5-3-2?

-----------Jozy-------------Dempsey----------
--------------------Bradley--------------------
-------Beckerman-----------Jones---------------
--Fab----------------------------------Yedlin--
-------Brooks---Cameron----Gonzalez--------
--------------------Guzan------------------

I don't know the CB's well enough, but I thought Besler would be back there....

This is nice but Bedoya has to be on the field. He's our 3rd best player right now, have to find a spot for him.

GAME DAY!

Aside, need to get a training run in today. Trying to avoid it. Anyone playing pickup in W-S or BR fields today?

Back