• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I like these white jerseys a lot

Carli Lloyd is a freaking maniac, switches from a #10 to a CF at 37 and is still one of the best in the world. Her and Deuce have a lot in common.

Other teams can watch this game and discover how to limit the US’s scoring.

Answer: Get Chile’s goalie.

Garbage penalty. I can see the foul being called but all the contact is outside the box. And Lloyd shanks it.

Other teams can watch this game and discover how to limit the US’s scoring.

Answer: Get Chile’s goalie.

Yeah, she had some phenomenal saves in the 2nd half. We should try to get her to defect to the US. Our goalkeeping post-Solo has been suspect - really the only significant weakness on the squad.

Qatar aren't terrible as I expected them to be in this opening Copa America match. They've been the better side against Paraguay. They also love going 1v1, even in their defensive third.

Yeah, she had some phenomenal saves in the 2nd half. We should try to get her to defect to the US. Our goalkeeping post-Solo has been suspect - really the only significant weakness on the squad.

Yeah - Naeher completely whiffed on Chile’s long penalty kick they scored on. Also I was surprised goal was waived off as thought it didn’t matter if offside player didn’t touch the ball. Similar to Brazil’s own goal earlier this week where they initially called offside on other team but determined the offside player didn’t touch ball and allowed the own goal?

Qatar aren't terrible as I expected them to be in this opening Copa America match. They've been the better side against Paraguay. They also love going 1v1, even in their defensive third.

U20 side was better than expected too

Yeah - Naeher completely whiffed on Chile’s long penalty kick they scored on. Also I was surprised goal was waived off as thought it didn’t matter if offside player didn’t touch the ball. Similar to Brazil’s own goal earlier this week where they initially called offside on other team but determined the offside player didn’t touch ball and allowed the own goal?
Matters if offside player impacted play in any way.

Not sure if it's the same side as the Asian Cup (Japan is fielding an understrength side I know), but Qatar won that pretty easily

Watched a good chunk of Italy-Spain U21's yesterday, and both teams were full of good young established players (Dani Ceballos, Oyarzabal, Fabian Ruiz, Chiesa, Moise Kean, Barella) who already have several senior NT caps. Didn't realize that the "21" goes all the way back to 2016 when the tournament qualifying was set up, so anyone born in 1996 or later is eligible, which kind of makes the 21 part a farce. A lot of the players were 22 and 23 years old. Why not just call it a U23 tournament? Especially since the teams that qualify for the semifinals become the European qualifiers for the Olympics next year.

Anyways, it got me thinking about how I hope the US goes for it next summer, and sends the best possible players to the Olympics. I think we would have a legit chance to medal, if not win the thing. Any players born Jan 1, 1997 or later would be eligible, with three overage players allowed.

Here is an age eligible 23 man roster

FWD/WING: Sargent, Soto, Pulisic, Weah, Amon, Llanez,
MID: Adams, McKennie, Pomykal, Djorge M, Yuill
DEF: Gloster, Robinson, Richards, Trusty, Robinson, CCV, Cannon, Dest
GK: Ochoa, Klinsmann, Scott

Others: Ledezma, Gooch, Lennon, Ferreira, EPB, McKenzie, Servania, Durkin (yuck), Sands, Glad, Mendez, Sabhi, Araujo

GK spot would be the weakest area, so probably bring in a vet for that job, Maybe throw Guzan a bone if he's still playing well for Atlanta at this time next year.

Last edited:
Well since we've played in a grand total of one (1) Olympics since 2000 (2008 in Bejiing, didn't make it out of group stage), so our history here is not great. I don't know why anyone would have confidence. Last time we imploded against Honduras in the first knockout game. Before that was the Caleb Porter team that gave up a last-second goal (horrible keeper gaffe) that knocked us out in the group stage.

If the domestic guys qualify and you could pull from European-based players for the Olympics, that team could be a lot of fun to watch. But....

Back