• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Sounds as if Dest has turned down a call to the National League matches while he weighs his international future.

Good thing we didn't invite him to the Gold Cup squad! Although it sounds like he's smart enough to avoid this dumpster fire either way. Sucks.

He was born in Holland, has spent the vast majority of his life in Holland, and almost certainly feels more Dutch than he does American. If he thinks he's got a chance to be a regular for the Dutch, he'll choose to play for them. Our only chance is that he figures he's got a more sure fire route to playing time by sticking with the US.

When I look at Subotic and Rossi, those sting because both mostly grew up in the US. That's a whole lot different than a kid whose never lived here. If we get him it's a bonus but it's hardly one where we should expect him to play for us.

Would he have accepted a gold cup call up this summer before he started getting PT for Ajax and started blowing up?

Bought tickets to the US-Cuba game Friday. Why? Good question. I honestly couldn't tell you. But it is a thing I did.

The next sentence is pretty important too...

"...Never the U.S. But I haven't been approached by the Dutch team."

Sadly, he was then approached by the Dutch team. Turned down the invite, but the interview was recorded before they reached out and it became a thing.

Oh yeah Dest is gone. Can’t really blame him though. Whats Chris Gloster up to?

Playing with PSV U-19s with Mendez. He (and Mendez) got called into the U-23 camp going on now (along with Ledezma, so maybe that helps fend off Mexico who was after him?).

Pretty disappointing performance after 30 minutes. I know the game is over but there was little focus and pretty sloppy attacking after half. No one was linking up well, poor touches, just a waste of an opportunity for a lot of guys who are fighting to be starters. The team needs to treat every chance the same, regardless of the score.

I guess we did what we needed to do. Might come down to GD between us and Canada, we’re plus 1 after both playing Cuba at home.

Hahaha ....now we're calling a win over the Cuban National "off the street" team "doing what we have to do to stay in the Concacaf Nations League" ? The USWNT could've beaten the Cubans last night. Gosh guys, I sure hope we can edge those pesky Canadians on goal differential....then we'll be on the way to soccer glory!

Back