• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Beckerman, Matt Besler, Demarcus Beasley, Brad Davis and Graham Zusi all started vs. Germany in the World Cup

Great. There's no evidence that those guys are even as good as them and they didn't make the last World Cup.

What a pathetic display by the US. Canada was by far the better side tonight and could easily have won 4-nil. The passing, defense and effort was abysmal and they acted like they didn't really want to be there. This "system" is atrocious for the players we had out there and I think contributed a large part of why we looked lackadaisical. Something must change and quickly or we will be sitting home instead of playing in the Cup, once again.

I'm all in for Canada to score a couple more in the last 2 minutes. Anything to speed up the inevitable adios to Berhalter. Trying to play like Barcelona with players who couldn't carry the water bottles or ball bags for Barca junior teams. Idiot. Pulisic has skills, but is exhausted trying to carry the other 10 slugs. I will always follow and root for the USMNT. But this is a sad, sad story. Thank God for the USWNT even if they didn't beat Dallas U15's ( who might have beaten these worms) . At least they know"how to play".

Berhalter thinks winning "the group" is still a big deal. What a fool. The only US players worth a shit are the ones who aspire to play in Europe and find a way to make it. MLS has ruined the level of development in US players. Any of our players still in MLS after a couple years are clearly not good enough to compete on the int'l stage. Roldan, Arriola, Zardes, Bradley, Long, Lovitz, Morris, Lleget, Trapp and all the rest. Please go home. You are done.

It is amazing how bad our talent is and add onto it complete lack of leadership and heart and you have an absolute mess. It is so clear the above are not even close to being worthy of NT status although I think Morris is borderline. Add to that the whole bench garbage outside possibly Cannon and Boyd who didn't even step on the field along with Ream are just horrible. And Berhalter has clearly lost this team pulling Pulisic after only 60 mins!??? Are you kidding me?? I don't care if he missed a point blank shot he is normally going to make the other 95% of the time you have to play your creative playmakers and let them play through it. Arriola instead???

Just hot garbage all around. I think it might be time to go all out all Geritol team and bring Arena back and bring back Dempsey, Bessler, Brooks, Jones, diskerud, Bedoya, Cameron, Fabian Johnson, Landon Donovan, and Altidore. They might be a bit slower but that team would at least compete and not lay down to Oh Canada!

“I owe enormous gratitude to Tab Ramos. And he should’ve got the senior job. He had four successive World Cup qualifications, we went to the quarter-finals of two of them. It was a fit-up. The guy who runs US Soccer (Jay Berhalter), who is really in charge and who pulls the strings, his brother (Gregg) became the coach. They never conducted a search. They just said they did.”

-GK coach Des McAleenan

Great (and depressing) article on the state of the USMNT.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/usmnt-canada-gregg-berhalter

It's a good article. The one exception I have with it is the statement ( not a surmise by the author) that Berhalter's success in MLS was one of the legitimate reasons for his hire. If we've learned anything over the past 20 years of MLS, it's that MLS coaching success is NOT a legitimate reason for get hired for the USMNT coaching job. Just look at the Bruce Arena re-hire. A total disaster and based solely on his MLS pedigree when it should've been on his int'l pedigree. If that were the case, he'd NEVER have been re-hired. I'll even suggest that, as positive as Bob Bradley's post USMNT stints have been, it would be wrong to re-hire him and expect a different result than we got the first time. I just hope that across the USMNT landscape from Admin, coaches, players, and fans we stop the denial, stop the excuses, stop trying to justify the lack of quality, and be honest. Even if you don't know how to fix what's wrong, be honest. Stop coddling people because they're young, or new on the job. Set higher standards and don't accept anything else until you achieve them, no matter how long it takes. That's the only way to start getting out of this mess.

Even worse, the process to hire Berhalter wasn’t even a real process. General manager Earnie Stewart interviewed just two candidates, Berhalter and Óscar Pareja. What kind of job search in any field involves interviewing just two candidates? Stewart didn’t interview Jesse Marsch. He didn’t interview Tata Martino, who was interested but was disqualified for the ludicrous reason of not speaking good enough English. He didn’t interview former Spain coach Julen Lopetegui, who literally contacted U.S. Soccer expressing his interest. He didn’t interview Bob Bradley or Tab Ramos, the coach who has gotten the U.S. team to the quarterfinals of the last three Under-20 World Cups.

And for this, Stewart was recently given a promotion from men's national team GM to sporting director for the entire federation, including the world champion USWNT? Seriously?

:rulz:

Even worse, the process to hire Berhalter wasn’t even a real process. General manager Earnie Stewart interviewed just two candidates, Berhalter and Óscar Pareja. What kind of job search in any field involves interviewing just two candidates? Stewart didn’t interview Jesse Marsch. He didn’t interview Tata Martino, who was interested but was disqualified for the ludicrous reason of not speaking good enough English. He didn’t interview former Spain coach Julen Lopetegui, who literally contacted U.S. Soccer expressing his interest. He didn’t interview Bob Bradley or Tab Ramos, the coach who has gotten the U.S. team to the quarterfinals of the last three Under-20 World Cups.

And for this, Stewart was recently given a promotion from men's national team GM to sporting director for the entire federation, including the world champion USWNT? Seriously?

:rulz:

When the nicest guy in the business Grant Wahl starts to turn on you, your seat is getting hot.

And I'm pretty sure I knew that USSF didn't really interview anyone but Gregg, but I think this is the first time I see it confirmed in print.

What a corrupt piece of shit organization. Is there any realistic way to bring pressure on them besides just boycotting games and TV?

How many 90s/early 00s USMNT players are currently in US Soccer leadership? I’m not even a fan like you all are I recognize several names.

Beckerman, Matt Besler, Demarcus Beasley, Brad Davis and Graham Zusi all started vs. Germany in the World Cup

LOL....what a ridiculous point to try to make. We had ZERO prospects playing in front of, or developing behind most of those guys, save Brad Davis, whom we all know was the albatross around Klinsmann's neck for leaving Donovan out of the 2014 side. We crapped out of qualifying with some of those guys involved leading up to 2018. And btw, No Brad Davis memories to share. Now, in -between qualifying schedules, and with the retirement of all those players from the national team, we are faced with two choices, replace them with these current useless MLS players who have little development potential, or develop our younger more promising prospects for the 2022 WC as a prelim to 2026. This is a no brainer.

LOL....what a ridiculous point to try to make. We had ZERO prospects playing in front of, or developing behind most of those guys, save Brad Davis, whom we all know was the albatross around Klinsmann's neck for leaving Donovan out of the 2014 side. We crapped out of qualifying with some of those guys involved leading up to 2018. And btw, No Brad Davis memories to share. Now, in -between qualifying schedules, and with the retirement of all those players from the national team, we are faced with two choices, replace them with these current useless MLS players who have little development potential, or develop our younger more promising prospects for the 2022 WC as a prelim to 2026. This is a no brainer.

You assume we are going to qualify for the world cup 2022 with this bunch? If you honestly made me bet money today, I'd lean towards no, barring no changes.

What's ridiculous here? He clearly insinuated Jurgen favored European players over aging domestic players. My point was that's simply not true. I didn't even include the likes of Dempsey and Jones, who were both back in MLS by that time as well. So add two more to the list. It was pretty damn close to an MLS all star team at the 2014 World Cup, all over the age of 23.

I'm not arguing those weren't the players to play at the time, because I think Jurgen got it right other than sitting Beckerman vs. Belgium and taking Davis over Donovan, but that wasn't the point of the post.

Back