• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

With regards to Morgan (not Boxx, she sucked): You need to rewatch the game mang, she was all over the place. Her work rate was ridiculous and she had a nose for being in the right place at the right time. You call it "luck" and I call it making quality plays

Numbers, Perhaps I'll do that.

Siff, I feel like Pia didn't think she had any other options in defense, full stop.

But I thought before Morgan's goal that taking her out and putting on Rodriguez in attack wouldn't have mattered because all of Japan's threats at that point were coming on through balls through the back line with no one else there.

I've thought their defense was shaky the whole tournament so I would have rather seen them make an attacking sub to try to get a second, and at worst keep the ball in the attacking end. Worst case, you have to deal with a counter...well they had been doing that all game.

Boxx isn't a defender, though. She's a midfielder.

Yes, I know. Primarily out there for defense, though, not that she was providing much. Point being I don't think Pia felt like she could spare a defensive presence because the defense was shaky anyway and she had no way to change that. So she left Boxx out there hoping she could help stem the pressure...my choice would have been to put the pressure on Japan with an attacking sub. If it gets down to the last few minutes and you still lead, you can always take off Lloyd and put someone on to be an extra defensive presence. Lori Lindsey maybe.

Anybody really stating that they have much of a feel of the women's national team because of watching them play for a month is full of themselves. Fact.

Let's fast forward to tomorrow where none of us give a shit about the women's national team again until the Olympics.

Anybody really stating that they have much of a feel of the women's national team because of watching them play for a month is full of themselves. Fact.

Shrug were you at any point comfortable with the US defense? I sure wasn't.

The US had a pretty good tournament considering how poorly the back line played throughout, (and until today) how poorly we played with the ball at our feet.

Unfortunately, the unforced errors, useless finishing and silly turnovers finally caught up to us. Without those, we win this game by multiple goals.

The news is both good and bad.

the Bad:
1. We lost a game and trophy we should have won.
2. Overall, the defenders were too slow and disorganized for the international game. Rampone was the exception as far as speed, but she had many key turnovers too, including the game tie-er in regulation. Buehler's horrible slowness and decision to play the ball across the goal mouth were bad, but Rampone's nervous turnover pass started the whole debacle.
3. USA Women are suffering from the same illness as the men, lack of quality defending talent. IMO we need to focus on speed, comfort on the ball and tactics instead of the "Buehl-dozer". After watching years and years of US soccer, it is clear we have to learn to defend with possession, and comfort on the ball as opposed to the mindless clearing wacks up the middle that allow teams like Japan to pressure us when they otherwise couldn't mount a dangerous attack( the men frankly suffer from this as well at times). If you watch alot of girls and women's soccer, you can see that besides pure athleticism, the biggest difference between men and women is committment to possession and comfort on the ball. Women DO NOT like the ball, they want to get rid of it, and they hope to make the pass that creates a spectacular goal. It was refreshing to see how Rapinoe, Morgan, and Cheney wanted to possess the ball. Hopefully it's a turning point for us.
4. Shannon Boxx showed her age
5. Abby Wamach, as beloved a star as she's been made, was horrible with the ball at her feet during the tournament, and frankly missed a number of sitter chances in the air as well. It's nice when she scores, but she's totally one-dimensional. Except for an exceptional 1v1 play and cross from Alex Morgan, Abby was shut down by the smaller Japanese defenders.

the Good:
1. Alex Morgan....athleticism AND quality soccer skills and instincts. The best we've had since Mia. Very exciting future with her scoring alot of goals for the R/WandB.
2. Megan Rapinoe... a star in the making, great skill on the ball, great instincts and decision making, great motor. A complete package.
3. Becky Sauerbrunn... why she didn't play in place of Buehler will forever haunt Pia.
4. Lauren Cheney.... her injury may have actually saved Japan as she was super dangerous and the most versatile of our attackers. She's young, and the prospect of a US attack with Cheney, Rapinoe, Morgan, and Heather O'Reilly on the wing is very exciting.

Hopefully, the USWNT staff will realize that the world has caught up to us as far as athleticism, and we need to get our act together on technical ability and possession. Thankfully we have the Olympics to look forward to next year. These girls may still get a gold medal for Wambach, Boxx, Hope and Rampone.

You don't really post on soccer threads. So I struggle to understand why you think that you have a voice that matters on soccer threads.

Please enlighten me.

I read soccer threads. And when 50% of them are 2 people fighting back and forth, it decreases my enjoyment, and my willingness to continue to read them in the future. Which, as someone who has a stake in the success of this board, you should care about.

But continue to be a condescending asshole. It suits you well.

How about you contribute to the soccer threads instead? Give your own insight and opinion? Instead of just hiding in the shadows and criticizing those that you don't like?

Just a thought.

I just want to say that there were more posts for a Women's soccer match than any Men's game post WC. Shame on you fair-weather bandwagoners.:rulz:

Congrats to Japan. They've got nerves of steel.

How about you contribute to the soccer threads instead? Give your own insight and opinion? Instead of just hiding in the shadows and criticizing those that you don't like?

Just a thought.

I'll go on record and say lurking is totally acceptable, and should perhaps be encouraged (traffic, amirite?)

Some people talk a lot. Some people don't.

I'll go on record and say lurking is totally acceptable, and should perhaps be encouraged (traffic, amirite?)

Some people talk a lot. Some people don't.

Yes. But if you lurk you don't have the right to bitch about the discussion.

Am I wrong?

Why wouldn't you want input from everyone? And no one likes when threads devolve into douchefests between two posters, so it's not like it's a crazy or unique complaint.

Why wouldn't you want input from everyone? And no one likes when threads devolve into douchefests between two posters, so it's not like it's a crazy or unique complaint.

I accept the criticism. But from a guy that has a beef with me and my girlfriend from the pit, and a guy that has never contributed anything to soccer threads?

Yeah, I take it with a grain of salt. Forgive me.

She didn't you fucking fucktard. I didn't make any predictions about anything she would do in the future. I did about Shannon Boxx, and she put the first nail in the coffin in penalties after doing nothing for most of regular time.

Btw, I'm especially impressed that all of 1 person has actually had the temerity to identify themselves on their negrep.

That was me then, I assume? You've done more than enough to earn it.

That was me then, I assume? You've done more than enough to earn it.

Your assumption is correct.

I would never negrep someone for their genuine opinion and/or analysis. But meh...whatever.

I'm OK with lurking and don't think you have to contribute in order to criticize. I also believe that the arguments make the thread more interesting, not "ruined."

Couple of things from a casual observer. Morgan was very good. But she isnt THAT hot. Tad bit overrated.

Also Rapinoe(?) had one stupid play that just symbolizes womans sports where one other chick was trying to clear it out for the US and Rapinoe made an attempt to block her from doing so and the ball went out of bounds for a corner from Japan.

All this fighting needs to stop. Its women's soccer people.

Lloyd took about 10 shots yesterday that were terrible choices. Didn't help that none of them came close to troubling the keeper. Rapinoe was also guilty of this.

Back