• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Anyone who thinks the Gold Cup or MLS can fix what's wrong with the USMNT is a fool. I feel bad for Pulisic, Weah, Adams and some of the other youngsters that pushed themselves to be individually great and are gonna suffer through the incompetence of US Soccer for the rest of their careers. Klinsmann was deficient in many areas, but his understanding that we were rotten at the core, that the US personna on the men's side had to be changed completely, was spot on. Nobody currently in charge of the USMNT has a clue about how to fix this.

Cool. Now bring back Bob Bradley

100% Agreed. Hopefully he wins an MLS title this season and takes over for Berhalter if he bombs this summer.

Robo Bob is the man. Why? Because he’s smart, calculated, and most importantly pragmatic. He’s willing to adapt and change his tactics in order to best make them work with players available.

+26 GD. Next best in the league is +11

BuNkEr BoB

He would be dumb to ever come back to this dumpster fire. Stay in LA, Bob

Is Bob Bradley the next Bruce Arena? Bruce did a lot of US Soccer, but he's quite limited in his vision for the program. Like most coaches, he recruits/uses only players who fit his scheme and vision. Plus Bruce is anti-analytics, which simply means he's a dinosaur in the modern game. Bob at least uses analytics and works his ass off, yet the style of play he prefers is a very cautious press and possess counter-attack. This tends to only work if your defense is the best part of your team and really limits the team when it needs to score. Bob is a really good coach, but I'm hoping the US can find someone a notch better and perhaps without the "let's outwork them" approach.

It makes so much sense to have a Bielsa or Klopp disciple but seems like they want to avoid a foreign coach if at all possible

At this point I'm all for just getting all of our best players on the field at one time. Think I'd go something like this in the group stage

--------------------Altidore--------------------
Pulisic/Boyd-----McKennie------Pulisic/Boyd
------------Bradley---------Adams------------
Ream--------Long--------Miazga--------Lima
---------------------Steffan--------------------

Line them up however you want, Idc

At this point I'm all for just getting all of our best players on the field at one time. Think I'd go something like this in the group stage

---------------------Altidore---------------------
Pulisic/Boyd--------Holmes--------Pulisic/Boyd
------------McKennie---------Bradley------------
Ream--------Long--------Miazga--------Adams
---------------------Steffan---------------------

Line them up however you want, Idc

Alternative if Adams at RB is set in stone

Maxi Rodriguez

Verified account

@FutbolIntellect
Follow Follow @FutbolIntellect
More
Speaking English will be helpful when Berhalter has to explain to the team that they didn't qualify for the World Cup again.

12:11 PM - 9 Jun 2019

Pulisic-Altidore-Boyd
Holmes-Adams-McKennie
Lima-Long-Miazga-Arriola
Steffen

High pressure, counter attacking football. Scrap the slow "ball playing" #6 and play for chaos.

We would crush every team in CONCACAF besides Mexico. That CM would be relentless.

I feel like we could make any number of tactics work.

What frustrates me is we seem not to get the fundamentals right a lot of the time. Basic communication issues. Never crisp on our passing, never triangles available to make the right one or two touch pass when spaces are tight. That has been an issue with US soccer for as long as I can remember. If we focused on conditioning, being solid defensively, and outworking our opponents, we would at least stop getting embarrassed in friendlies against shit sides.

I hope some of our issues will be sorted when we get our best personnel in, but I don't have high hopes for Berhalter getting the team to buy in for more than the first 15 minutes. Seems like that has been the threshold the last two games that we've fallen apart after that time.

Guzan and Nagbe have done nothing of note to be considered for the GC. Miles Robinson definitely deserves a look, but probably not until the October friendlies or nations league matches

U23 roster announced for camp. CONCACAF Olympic qualifying will take place in October. Reyna and Ocampo-Chavez the two super young guns.

GOALKEEPERS (3): JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; Alamo, Calif.), Andrew Thomas (Stanford University; London, England), Justin Vom Steeg (LA Galaxy; Santa Barbara, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (6): Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers; Gresham, Ore.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake; Las Cruces, N.M.), Jack Maher (Indiana University; Caseyville, Ill.), Sam Rogers (Seattle Sounders FC; Seattle, Wash.), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; Media, Pa.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; Medford, N.J.), George Acosta (Unattached; Pembroke Pines, Fla.), Mukwelle Akale (Villarreal CF B; Minneapolis, Minn.), Cameron Lindley (Memphis 901 FC; Carmel, Ind.), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake; Park City, Utah), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; Bloomington, Minn.), Gedion Zelalem (Sporting Kansas City; Berlin, Germany)

FORWARDS (4): Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Alfonso Ocampo Chavez (Seattle Sounders FC; Kent, Wash.), Giovanni Reyna (Unattached; Bedford, N.Y.)

Ex-Liverpool player Brooks Lennon! Forgot about him.

Just checked and he has scored three goals in 65 appearances for Real Salt Lake, none since the start of the 2018 season. Woof.

Back