• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rice Game Time - 3:30pm RSN

I know it’s back ups and we have a nice lead but the second half has been awful. I keep looking for improvements but am not seeing it. Yes a win is nice but with Clemson, FSU and Cuse coming up, I was hoping we would use this game to instill some confidence.

I know it’s back ups and we have a nice lead but the second half has been awful. I keep looking for improvements but am not seeing it. Yes a win is nice but with Clemson, FSU and Cuse coming up, I was hoping we would use this game to instill some confidence.

You took Wake -27.5?

Anyone know what’s up with Newman? Claw clearly stated Hinton was a receiver now (or maybe it was Hinton that said that I can’t remember exactly)

Yep.
We won convincingly, but the second half was disappointing. The D really let up and the offense wasn't so hot either.
We should not have let them out score us in the second half, regardless if subs were playing or not. Need the killer instinct.

They said on TV Newman banged up last week. Awful defensive effort in 2nd half. Hard to remember a worse one, even the ones we've seen this year. 2 50 yard runs up middle or off tackle and several other long tuns where no one touched ball carrier until far down field. Hinton looked terrible. Must have run inside hand off for RPO 2/3 of time. Very imaginative particularly on 4th down when 11 Owls were stacking middle of line.

Anyone know what’s up with Newman? Claw clearly stated Hinton was a receiver now (or maybe it was Hinton that said that I can’t remember exactly)
On the radio Clawson said he wants opponents to know Hinton is a quarterback and that they've got to prepare for him. He's our backup until Newman is healthy.

Our leading rusher today was Christian Beal.
Glad he got some reps. Kept waiting for him to break one. Not this week, but it will happen.

That is not what Clawson said in his press conference this week. He said that he was a WR and QB - and joked that he wasn't going to put him on the depth chart at multiple positions (or something like that).

I mean, this might not be great for me to admit, but here: With Hinton, your guesses are as good as mine.

I spent all week thinking Hinton will be Greg's backup in the slot, Hinton would only be an emergency QB, that Dortch and Hinton should be used in packages together (like we thought with Dortch and Tabari Hines) and that Jamie is the backup QB. Granted, I didn't know Jamie was hurt (ankle) until about an hour before kickoff today. So, if he's healthy, he might be in there instead of Kendall. It's also probably not worth putting any film out there of Greg and Kendall in packages together, if that's even in the works.

So, I was shocked to see Kendall play a quarter and a half at QB.

BTW, the defense made adjustments and shut down the Rice run game in the 4th quarter.

Probably due to the opponent, but the pass defense look much improved.

A win's a win, but let's not put lipstick on a pig. Rice is one of the worst teams in D-1. We were up 42-3 at half. I'm not impressed with what we do with a lead against our weak opponents.

Good grief, we did win right? In the first 16-17 minutes we outscored them 28-0 and looked like we could do pretty much anything we wanted to. We left at the half to spend time with our son who's a freshman. I didn't see our personnel on either side of the ball in the 2nd half but obviously we were in complete control and I'm assuming we had lots of subs in.

Interesting morning-after comment from the Rice board:

"That the gap between us and Wake is that large (being Rice math whizzes, we realize that 42-3,at the half, without a merciful opponent, could have been 84-6). There is nothing that Wake has other then commitment and desire that Rice does not have (but see the below). We have a better school academically; we are in a better football area; we have a larger endowment.

It must be conference affiliation (being in the ACC makes them more attractive to recruits and more urgency to be better, lest they get creamed every week-end), and a desire at the higher levels of the administration to be better.

You all have your own wake-up calls (when the various other Texas directional schools that didn't exist 20 years ago beat us); this one is mine. Wake freaking Forest just undressed us with a victory that could have been by more than 70 points."

Interesting morning-after comment from the Rice board:

"That the gap between us and Wake is that large (being Rice math whizzes, we realize that 42-3,at the half, without a merciful opponent, could have been 84-6). There is nothing that Wake has other then commitment and desire that Rice does not have (but see the below). We have a better school academically; we are in a better football area; we have a larger endowment.

It must be conference affiliation (being in the ACC makes them more attractive to recruits and more urgency to be better, lest they get creamed every week-end), and a desire at the higher levels of the administration to be better.

You all have your own wake-up calls (when the various other Texas directional schools that didn't exist 20 years ago beat us); this one is mine. Wake freaking Forest just undressed us with a victory that could have been by more than 70 points."

I think commitment is a major part of success, or lack of

Back