• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rice Game Time - 3:30pm RSN

Interesting morning-after comment from the Rice board:

"That the gap between us and Wake is that large (being Rice math whizzes, we realize that 42-3,at the half, without a merciful opponent, could have been 84-6). There is nothing that Wake has other then commitment and desire that Rice does not have (but see the below). We have a better school academically; we are in a better football area; we have a larger endowment.

It must be conference affiliation (being in the ACC makes them more attractive to recruits and more urgency to be better, lest they get creamed every week-end), and a desire at the higher levels of the administration to be better.

You all have your own wake-up calls (when the various other Texas directional schools that didn't exist 20 years ago beat us); this one is mine. Wake freaking Forest just undressed us with a victory that could have been by more than 70 points."

Where does he get out saying Rice is better than Wake academically? I call BS.

Other than that that*, he's pretty much on target. *no idea where Rice ranks compared to Wake but guessing they are similar.

Lol, Rice is absolutely a better school. C'mon, folks.

I think commitment is a major part of success, or lack of

It is commitment and $$$upport that is the difference. Rice doesn't have a Bob McCreary and others $upporting football. Nor do they have ACC TV money.

Rice may have a bigger academic endowment, but Deacon Club probably brings in more money every year than does the Rice athletic booster group.

No. They are similarly ranked (Rice is 16 and Wake is 27) and both are in the “most competitive” category in US News. They attract different applicants, with Rice having more engineers and math majors. Rice also has a higher percentage of men. Rice is generally terrible in sports and has only won 1 national championship in the history of the school (baseball in the 2000s). Rice is attracting applicants that are interested in majoring in math and are OK with living in Texas. 42% of their students are from Texas.

No. They are similarly ranked (Rice is 16 and Wake is 27) and both are in the “most competitive” category in US News. They attract different applicants, with Rice having more engineers and math majors. Rice also has a higher percentage of men. Rice is generally terrible in sports and has only won 1 national championship in the history of the school (baseball in the 2000s). Rice is attracting applicants that are interested in majoring in math and are OK with living in Texas. 42% of their students are from Texas.

like clockwork

“Similarly ranked?”

Oh man.

I would say 16 vs. 27 is a pretty distinguishable gap, even if you're going by the craptastic, subjective US News rankings that puts Wake in the best light possible. In the WSJ ranking, Rice is 14 and Wake is 62. This past year, Rice's acceptance rate was 11%. Wake's is consistently in the 28% - 30% range. Wake is a very good school, but Rice is in another #tier.

Dortch 11 catches, two with 2 and two with 1. I would have liked to see Wake use this game to get other receivers involved more on whom we will rely.

Rubbish. Never heard of their med school, law school or mba program, if they have those. And their accounting program cant touch Wake.

Rice has better name recognition nationally because it's only been within the past 25 years or so that Wake broke free of its reputation as a "regional" university (we have TKH to thank for that achievement). Academic types and well-educated folks would (correctly) rate Rice a little higher, but the average person/sports fan probably rates Wake higher due to its ACC affiliation.

Anyway, we can all empathize with Rice fans. Wake's been on the receiving end of games like yesterday plenty of times and the result makes me all the more grateful for our membership in a P5 conference. Reading their board, it sounds like there's been legit talk of them becoming independent or dropping down a classification. I can't imagine what would happen to my level of interest in Wake sports if we were in CUSA. Between that and the [Redacted] fiasco I'd probably have completed checked out by now.

I would say 16 vs. 27 is a pretty distinguishable gap, even if you're going by the craptastic, subjective US News rankings that puts Wake in the best light possible. In the WSJ ranking, Rice is 14 and Wake is 62. This past year, Rice's acceptance rate was 11%. Wake's is consistently in the 28% - 30% range. Wake is a very good school, but Rice is in another #tier.

The US News are by far the most commonly used rankings and carry the most weight. Is Wake in a higher tier than BC because we’re ranked 11 spots better than them? I think Rice, Wake, and BC are all similar schools in that they are elite private colleges with D1 sports. I also doubt many Wake students applied to Rice because most are not interested in engineering or going to school in Texas.

Not sure how one poster’s post delivers so much oooomph. Rice University is elite and WF will forever be recognized similarly by many but not all.

On to Clemson and further improvement in our football team.

^^^^
This

...and for me rice is a carbohydrate and not an elite private school. GO DEACS!

Great shots. Prediction for next weeks uniform combo?

I’m cool with Wake being viewed as the academically lesser school who puts more commitment on football and kicked the elite school’s ass on the field. 2018 is a strange time.

The US News are by far the most commonly used rankings and carry the most weight. Is Wake in a higher tier than BC because we’re ranked 11 spots better than them? I think Rice, Wake, and BC are all similar schools in that they are elite private colleges with D1 sports. I also doubt many Wake students applied to Rice because most are not interested in engineering or going to school in Texas.

Rafi, you’d want a statue of Hatch in the middle of the quad if we went from #27 to #16 during his tenure. Rice is tied with Cornell and just ahead of Notre Dame.

Back