• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes to Wake?

I don't think this is really a good solution, but it gets rid of Buzz so I would support it.

I don't think this is really a good solution, but it gets rid of Buzz so I would support it.

A couple of years ago, the idea of hiring Barnes would have outraged me, but now I'm so beaten down, I wouldn't even care.

I have pushed Barnes the last two coaching hires. Guy has won 20 plus games every year since 99-00 except this past year and has gone to a final four and two other elite eights since 2000. I would take that kind of success at Wake.

The last coach to lose to Dino.

I don't care what else Barnes has done, he forever earned my respect when he got up in Deano's face during the first round ACC game that year.

I think he'd be a solid choice. Good recruiter

This. We have a major rebuilding project after buzz leaves.

Correct and I'd like to remind everyone that we did NOT have a major rebuilding program when we hired [Redacted]. But after three years of his leadership, we do now...

No offense but this program is not in a position to get ANYTHING it wants. It must take what it can get. I can name a slew of guys I want over Rick Barnes, like literally 20. But as for where we are and what we are eligible to take....I'd honestly take Gaudio back in a minute tomorrow if it were offered.

I've never been much of a Rick Barnes fan, but the fact is, he has been pretty consistent in taking his teams to the NCAAT. He wins ball games. If I had the choice three years ago between Gaudio and Barnes, I'd probably have pulled the trigger and hired Barnes. However, I KNOW that if my choice three years ago had been between Gaudio and [Redacted], Gaudio would have remained the coach. There NEVER was any logical reason to hire this loser.

Don't worry. It won't happen as long as Ron Wellman is our AD. Rick Barnes is his own man. He would not allow RW to micromanage his program. Therefore, Rick Barnes will not be hired by RW.

Last edited:
But then who wouldn't you take to get rid of Bzz?

Hard Question. I wouldn't take the President of Iran, the leader of the Taliban, Charles Manson, or the Boston Marathon Bomber to get rid of Bzzz, but other than that it's probably pretty wide open.

Hard Question. I wouldn't take the President of Iran, the leader of the Taliban, Charles Manson, or the Boston Marathon Bomber to get rid of Bzzz, but other than that it's probably pretty wide open.

I haven't seen Charles Manson coach. I wouldn't rule him out.

I haven't seen Charles Manson coach. I wouldn't rule him out.

Well, he certainly showed the ability to get people to buy into his agenda (as sick as it was), which is a mark of a good coach.

Of course, we would NEVER take a one-and-doner like Kevin Durant. Or, even worse, TJ Ford. . .

Mark Gotfried is mentioned in the article. I would take Gilbert Gotfried as coach at this point.

Not sure where else to put this, but Wake made a cameo in the recent SI Brad Stevens article.

"With Butler's success, Stevens was predictably pursued by brand-name programs in search of a miracle. Oregon, Clemson, Wake Forest, Illinois, and UCLA were among the suitors whose identities were made public. As Stevens declined ever more offers - he concedes there were more than 10..."

Makes it seem like Wake definitely made him an offer. Had no idea.

Back