• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes to Wake?

He would only recruit members of the Aryan Brotherhood. Well, OK, they could probably shoot, play hellacious physical in-your-face defense, "handle the ball" in a manner of speaking, and when Karl Hess made a Karl Hess type call, they'd stick a homemade shiv in him faster than keeper can say Karl Hess. Tobacco Road kill, you might say. Seeing all the minorities on the other teams would no doubt be a huge motivator for Manson's recruits. And Manson's got prominent tats, so there's that. On the other hand Charles Manson would obviously be clean as far as the NCAA was concerned (no major violations in the last five minutes).

The naked dance team might interfere with team discipline.

rj would be against the hire, so he would concoct some wholly unrealistic standard that Barnes would have to live up to.

We would read the comment "Anybody with a pulse would have AT LEAST gotten that team to the Elite Eight!!!!"

Last edited:
The people in Texas aren't happy with him because the people in Texas expect their teams to win a national championship every year in every sport - they are one of the most delusional fanbases out there.

Somewhere along the road between "the verge of greatness" and "historically competitive" we lost touch with reality. Hire Barnes to bridge the gap, then find someone to close the crater.

We cannot "bridge the gap" again. We have to go for someone we expect to be here long-term. If we don't we are looking at perennial failure. If we have 3-5 more years of mediocrity, we might as well leave the ACC.

I would absolutely take Barnes as our next coach. He has credentials that [Redacted] could only dream about and the days of Wake being a coveted job by young up and comers are dead.

rj would be against the hire, so he would concoct some wholly unrealistic standard that Barnes would have to live up to.

We would read the comment "Anybody with a pulse would have AT LEAST gotten that team to the Elite Eight!!!!"

You mean how UT went from #1 on January 23, 2010 to out of the Top 25 in FIVE WEEKS?

By the way, if your team has THREE Top 20 NBA draft picks AND and another PG who played in the league for multiple years (along with another D League player), reaching the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 should be EXPECTED.

If you don't expect that array of talent to progress that far either, you make Windy look like a blind optimist or you don't understand what it takes to win in college basketball.

But I wouldn't expect some here to understand this most basic concept.

Last edited:
I would absolutely take Barnes as our next coach. He has credentials that [Redacted] could only dream about and the days of Wake being a coveted job by young up and comers are dead.

IT's NOT [Redacted] vs. Barnes. It's Barnes vs EVERYONE else. Barnes would get paid more than almost anyone else on a list. We cna do much better than Barnes for $2.5-3.5M/year.

Wanting an older guy who is on a clear downward spiral is the epitome of LOWF Syndrome.

IT's NOT [Redacted] vs. Barnes. It's Barnes vs EVERYONE else. Barnes would get paid more than almost anyone else on a list. We cna do much better than Barnes for $2.5-3.5M/year.

Wanting an older guy who is on a clear downward spiral is the epitome of LOWF Syndrome.

Very rarely do I agree with RJ, but this is why I don't want Barnes. It isn't that Barnes isn't a good coach and it certainly isn't that Barnes isn't an improvement over Bzzz, but rather I think that there are better, younger, cheaper coaches that will be available once Bzzz is finally gone.

Very rarely do I agree with RJ, but this is why I don't want Barnes. It isn't that Barnes isn't a good coach and it certainly isn't that Barnes isn't an improvement over Bzzz, but rather I think that there are better, younger, cheaper coaches that will be available once Bzzz is finally gone.

I think if the question is would you trade Bzzz for Barnes the answer is a resounding YES

I think if the question is would Barnes be the best option is Bzzz gets canned and we conduct a coaching search, then the answer is probably not, but if push came to shove we could probably do worse.

This (and what RJ says on this issue).

I think if the question is would you trade Bzzz for Barnes the answer is a resounding YES

I think if the question is would Barnes be the best option is Bzzz gets canned and we conduct a coaching search, then the answer is probably not, but if push came to shove we could probably do worse.

I'd make the trade for this season in a heartbeat.

we CAN'T have the attitude of "we could probably do worse". That's LOWF and guarantees continuous failure in the new ACC.

Short of getting a Stevens or Shaka Smart (neither is going to happen), there is going to be risk involved in our next hire. Many up and coming hot shot coaches don't pan out at the highest level.

Agree with several of the above posters. Obviously I would take Barnes over Bzz in a heartbeat, but once we fire Bzz, I will be disappointed if we hire Barnes.

Short of getting a Stevens or Shaka Smart (neither is going to happen), there is going to be risk involved in our next hire. Many up and coming hot shot coaches don't pan out at the highest level.

then what's the issue?

At the end of the season, even if we get shot down, we have to offer Shaka-32-40M over ten years.

If he says no, other coaches will see we are serious.

YES we can afford this with the new ACC contract and owning The Joel.

With a top coach and a revitalized building, we would have a chance to keep Harry Giles home.

Reactions: DG3
At the end of the season, even if we get shot down, we have to offer Shaka-32-40M over ten years.

If he says no, other coaches will see we are serious.

YES we can afford this with the new ACC contract and owning The Joel.

With a top coach and a revitalized building, we would have a chance to keep Harry Giles home.

Agree 100% with this. Even if he says no, other good coaches will know to follow the money.

With the new ACC contract, if we offer under $25M we aren't getting a name coach. It also sets a bar for the other guys.

for the #1 guy out there, you pay #1 prices.

Back