• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes to Wake?

I'd have zero problem with Rick Barnes. His name came up a lot during our last couple coaching searches... And he was a reach. Funny to think his stock has fallen about as far as ours.

I will say that I've been to a few UT games in Austin over the last couple of years. The Texas offense looks horrible.

Barnes has not been good for five years. We can do better. hiring him would be a huge disappointment.

I think of Barnes as basically a better version of Dino. A great recruiter and a good to great defensive coach, but his teams are garbage in the half-court.

At this point, that might be as good as we can expect.

Barnes has not been good for five years. We can do better. hiring him would be a huge disappointment.

The most important question in life is "Compared to What?" I don't think that at this point we can necessarily do better, and I sure as hell don't trust Wellman to make that better hire. Most likely if Wellman replaces Bzz, we get a mid-major mediocrity who won't have the name or the juice to restore the program in less than a decade.

Take Barnes for 5 years to get us back to respectability. During that time Wellman retires, and the next AD then hires the Next Big Thing from the mid-major ranks.

Last edited:
This thread is absurd. Every last one of us would take Rick Barnes over Buzz. Anything to end this mess.

Don't worry. It won't happen as long as Ron Wellman is our AD. Rick Barnes is his own man. He would not allow RW to micromanage his program. Therefore, Rick Barnes will not be hired by RW.

This

Rick would be a great hire if he became available. He brings with him a sincerity and a swagger that we need. He is not a basketball genius, but he has a passion for the game and he understands the kids. He had a bit of a troubled youth, but he turned out to be a great guy. He is a student of the game and his teacher is Bobby Knight.

He comes back to Hickory every year to give back to kids at the YMCA and to help Lenoir-Rhyne University raise money. He can motivate an alumni base in the same way that Skip did for Wake. He has been loyal to Texas, but maybe it is time for a change.

The last time NC State tried to hire him he was called into Dodd's office. Dodd asked him about the overtures from NC State and asked him what it would take to keep him at Texas. Barnes told him that Texas did not need to match their offer. He just asked them to be fair and that was it.

I'd be happy with Rick's barn over [Redacted]. I'd be thrilled with Rick Barnes.

By mid-way through his second season, no one would want Barnes and we'd be stuck with him for at least five years.

PASS..

By mid-way through his second season, no one would want Barnes and we'd be stuck with him for at least five years.

PASS..

Yes. I would hate to go the post season every year.

1994–95 Clemson 15–13 5–11 T–6th NIT First Round
1995–96 Clemson 18–11 7–9 6th NCAA First Round
1996–97 Clemson 23–10 9–7 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1997–98 Clemson 18–14 7–9 T–4th NCAA First Round
Clemson: 74–48 28–36
Texas Longhorns (Big 12 Conference) (1998–present)
1998–99 Texas 19–13 13–3 1st NCAA First Round
1999–00 Texas 24–9 13–3 2nd NCAA Second Round
2000–01 Texas 25–9 12–4 T–2nd NCAA First Round
2001–02 Texas 22–12 10–6 T–3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2002–03 Texas 26–7 13–3 2nd NCAA Final Four
2003–04 Texas 25–8 12–4 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2004–05 Texas 20–11 9–7 T–5th NCAA First Round
2005–06 Texas 30–7 13–3 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2006–07 Texas 25–10 12–4 3rd NCAA Second Round
2007–08 Texas 31–7 13–3 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2008–09 Texas 23–12 9–7 T–4th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Texas 24–10 9–7 T–6th NCAA First Round
2010–11 Texas 28–8 13–3 2nd NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Texas 20–14 9–9 5th NCAA First Round
2012–13 Texas 16-18 7–11 7th CBI First Round

The people in TX aren't happy with him. As I said earlier, his last five years are a downward trend and for reason:

"2008–09 Texas 23–12 9–7 T–4th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Texas 24–10 9–7 T–6th NCAA First Round
2010–11 Texas 28–8 13–3 2nd NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Texas 20–14 9–9 5th NCAA First Round
2012–13 Texas 16-18 7–11 7th CBI First Round

In Jan 2010, TX was ranked #1 and dropped to a 9-7 B12 record.

His time has passed. He would cost too much and wouldn't last. We don't need another 60 yo coach...especially on a downward trend line.

rj, what the fuck are you talking about? We have Jeff [Redacted]
Maybe the worst head (HEAD) coach in the history of the ACC
I would take Barnes in a second

Who gives a fuck. The Texas experiment failed

Meh

We are the ACC

When we dump [Redacted], I don't want another old, declining coach.

I give a fuck. This year will be his 16th year. He's about to be run out of town.

If we're spending that kind of money, we can get MUCH better than Rick Barnes.

The B12 is caving as a conference versus the ACC ascending. EVERYTHING is wrong about this.

It's not Rick Barnes vs. Jeff [Redacted] when [Redacted] is fired. It's Barnes versus a coach we could sign with that much money.

What's so difficult to understand?

Somewhere along the road between "the verge of greatness" and "historically competitive" we lost touch with reality. Hire Barnes to bridge the gap, then find someone to close the crater.

Last edited:
Manson was also apparently a pretty good recruiter.

He would only recruit members of the Aryan Brotherhood. Well, OK, they could probably shoot, play hellacious physical in-your-face defense, "handle the ball" in a manner of speaking, and when Karl Hess made a Karl Hess type call, they'd stick a homemade shiv in him faster than keeper can say Karl Hess. Tobacco Road kill, you might say. Seeing all the minorities on the other teams would no doubt be a huge motivator for Manson's recruits. And Manson's got prominent tats, so there's that. On the other hand Charles Manson would obviously be clean as far as the NCAA was concerned (no major violations in the last five minutes).

When we dump [Redacted], I don't want another old, declining coach.

I give a fuck. This year will be his 16th year. He's about to be run out of town.

If we're spending that kind of money, we can get MUCH better than Rick Barnes.

The B12 is caving as a conference versus the ACC ascending. EVERYTHING is wrong about this.

It's not Rick Barnes vs. Jeff [Redacted] when [Redacted] is fired. It's Barnes versus a coach we could sign with that much money.

What's so difficult to understand?

Thats pretty generous to suggest Bzzz was ever good enough to begin a decline.

Back