• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Right Place, Wrong Time: The Travis McKie Story

george-costanza-annoyed.gif

I think we'll finish 10th and play VT in the inaugural Wednesday round of the ACCT. Travis will get a postseason win, albeit a pretty empty one. Sad.

Damn, this is a throwback.

Fab_Five_medium.jpg

Excellent job, Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Good article. Thanks for the considerable effort pulling it all together.

I don't understand some of the love around here for #30. While he may be partially a victim of circumstance, I also think he lacks leadership, is wildly inconsistent, frequently coasts, among other things.

Not a bad player bit also not a "oh, what could have been" guy. Has some natural talent, but missing some other attributes.

Is he missing them or did his head coach fail to cultivate those attributes?

Travis' quote at the end could have been the entire article.

"I love Wake and I hope it gets back to where it was, where I found it." Travis McKie, January 31, 2014

I think he's missing them. Others may disagree. I personally think its lazy to blame Bz for all the ills of our basketball program. Most, but not all.

"The ongoing tension is how far does a coach push players to bring out the very best in them, without pushing them too much that you break and fracture the bond between player and coach. Too little is not good. Too much is not good." - Jeff [Redacted], on cultivating star players January 11, 2004

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...r-locker-room-general-manager-kiki-vandeweghe

A lot of good players play for bad coaches. If you play enough basketball it happens at some point in your career. By his own quotes I don't think Travis has the fight in him to overcome that kind of struggle on his own, nor does it sound like he has the kind of bond with his current teammates to do so either.

It's really a shame - he had all the tools coming in. I think Skip could have done great things with him. Instead he's going to post career lows in points, rebounds, steals, and field goal percentage as a senior.

He'll always be the poster child for this disastrous run of Wake basketball to me.

Awesome article. Class Act finishing what he started! Let's hope WFU can get back to relevance for his sake.

Good article. Thanks for the considerable effort pulling it all together.

I don't understand some of the love around here for #30. While he may be partially a victim of circumstance, I also think he lacks leadership, is wildly inconsistent, frequently coasts, among other things.

Not a bad player bit also not a "oh, what could have been" guy. Has some natural talent, but missing some other attributes.

every player does not have to be a leader. under skip or dino maybe he becomes one. maybe not. but either one would have gotten more out of him than bzz. you mention coasting and inconsistency. the first caused the second. heck, just being happy might have helped him have consistent effort and results.

Awesome article. Class Act finishing what he started! Let's hope WFU can get back to relevance for his sake.

Certainly not during his career. Maybe the 2015-2016 season, but only if Buzz is not there.

Back