• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Right Place, Wrong Time: The Travis McKie Story

for Travis' sake, i really hope Wake goes on some type of run to end the season and at least makes the NIT. he deserves to play postseason bball with all the BS he has dealt with during his 4 years at Wake.

every player does not have to be a leader.

Exactly. The "Travis didn't become a leader" critique is lame. Few players, whether high school, college, or the NBA are leaders. People only expect Travis should lead because the rest of the team are sophomores...that's on Buzz.

Good read, but I disagree with the opinion that Bob Stack is the worst coach in the history of Wake Forest.

Good read, but I disagree with the opinion that Bob Stack is the worst coach in the history of Wake Forest.

I agree. Was at Wake during the Staak era and at least every game there was a feeling of hope. People actually went to the games too.

I feel bad that Travis had [Redacted] for his 4 years - seems like a bit of a waste. I admire his tenacity and willingness to finish what he started. That speaks volumes about him as a person. Very proud to have someone like that in the Deacon family!

"I love Wake and I hope it gets back to where it was, where I found it." Travis McKie, January 31, 2014

What an amazing quote...doesn't this really encapsulate how almost all of us feel? Put this on the billboard with #BuzzOut and #WellmanOut out and let it ride for whatever time that's left.

This is really well done. One of the major outlets would carry it, I think. It would seem to have interest outside the sphere of Wake fans. A sympathetic story of a good athlete caught in a toilet of failure resulting from a failed coach and AD.

I find it interesting about some saying that with Bob Staak's teams there was hope. I don't remember that. Even so, I just remember the rumors about why he was fired, and it had very little to do with his basketball teams.

Cal Boyd was the only player that played all 4 years with Staak. Gene Hooks called him in to his office to apologize about how things worked out. I don't think Wellman will do the same for Travis.

Cal Boyd was the only player that played all 4 years with Staak. Gene Hooks called him in to his office to apologize about how things worked out. I don't think Wellman will do the same for Travis.

Wellman already sold him out when he told the Moricle group that McKie "wasn't a leader" before the season.

I used to have seats through a friend around several big boosters. The complaint I heard was that Dino didn't put enough emphasis on winning games in the AAC Tourney. Therefore, it wasn't fun to plan to party and lose the first game. Major Buzz kill (no pun intended).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really enjoyed writing the article and hopefully everyone enjoyed reading it. Travis is one of my favorite Wake players and I wanted to write something that gave him a lot of credit for his time here.

I find it interesting about some saying that with Bob Staak's teams there was hope. I don't remember that. Even so, I just remember the rumors about why he was fired, and it had very little to do with his basketball teams.

Every game I always believed we had a chance to win. Maybe it was youthful exuberance. But I was there, getting tickets early in the morning. I remember beating State, & UNC, & Duke. The difference between then and now is that each one of those teams was really good and we just played over our heads to win. Now, teams play down to us.

I feel like this article sparked even more #BzOut board rage than a normal Friday.

By the way, Travis reached out to Wake's media communications department to find out how to reach Numbers and sent him a very touching email in response to this piece. Incredibly classy move by Travis there.

By the way, Travis reached out to Wake's media communications department to find out how to reach Numbers and sent him a very touching email in response to this piece. Incredibly classy move by Travis there.

Nice move by a nice young man. Thank you for your four years at WFU Travis.

Back