• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Chris Cornell

Last medley SG played included cover of Zep's "In My Time of Dying". Oof.

wow I really liked what he did, thought he was pretty authentic rocker whatever the hell that means. suicide? eh, dude

One of my friends played guitar for Chris on solo tours and records. I remember him (Pete Thorn) telling me how nice and good a person Chris was. The thing that really stood out to me was how Pete would talk about how intelligent Chris was. I think maybe Chris had just a HS education, but he said Chris had a huge vocabulary and was extremely well-read and smart. The other thing is that Chris was a tremendous guitar player, even though he wasn't known for it really. Certainly, he was known for his voice and songwriting. I actually have one of Chris' signature guitars and had him sign it.

Cornell was one of my heroes. I am very freaked out and saddened by his suicide/death.

One of my friends played guitar for Chris on solo tours and records. I remember him (Pete Thorn) telling me how nice and good a person Chris was. The thing that really stood out to me was how Pete would talk about how intelligent Chris was. I think maybe Chris had just a HS education, but he said Chris had a huge vocabulary and was extremely well-read and smart. The other thing is that Chris was a tremendous guitar player, even though he wasn't known for it really. Certainly, he was known for his voice and songwriting. I actually have one of Chris' signature guitars and had him sign it.

Cornell was one of my heroes. I am very freaked out and saddened by his suicide/death.

You're friends with Pete Thorn? That's pretty cool. Guy plays EVH stuff better than EVH does.

went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and found this, which is what I've been listening to at work today:

for some reason the uploader has tilted the screen, but there's a lot of good late 80s-early 2000s stuff on there. Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Radiohead, etc.

went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and found this, which is what I've been listening to at work today:

for some reason the uploader has tilted the screen, but there's a lot of good late 80s-early 2000s stuff on there. Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Radiohead, etc.

Who decided to do all of those diagonal angles? That sucks.

E: Just saw your comment. Glad to know that wasn't SNL.

Here's Pete Thorn and friends doing a tribute to Cornell at Soundstage Live (really good YouTube channel btw):

And Pete's thoughts on Chris. it's kind of long, but I dunno someone might wanna watch:

So what's up with the Linkin Park dude's suicide, did he do it on Cornell's birthday to join Cornell? That is some fucked up shit. Obligatory yet Fred Durst lives followup tag.

So what's up with the Linkin Park dude's suicide, did he do it on Cornell's birthday to join Cornell? That is some fucked up shit. Obligatory yet Fred Durst lives followup tag.

sure looks like it. read they became good friends 10 or so years ago. godfather to cornell's son. really need to improve mental health care access/screening/information etc.

I'm very sympathetic and empathetic toward those with mental illness and depression, but it still angers me to see someone leave behind 6 children like he did. I'm not a parent, but with how bad his childhood sounded, to leave his kids without a father just doesn't make sense.

sure looks like it. read they became good friends 10 or so years ago. godfather to cornell's son. really need to improve mental health care access/screening/information etc.

Do these guys really lack access to mental health care?

They specifically? No idea. Chester has spoken about how he was abused for a long time as a child. That stays with you and requires long term care to deal with.

Major stigma? Yes. Not talked about? Yes. Viewed differently than physical healthcare? All too often. I was saying in a more general way that we need a significant change in how we think about, recognize and care for people that need mental health care. Now we have been sending people to war for 15+ years to add to the mix. It's changing slowly but too many of them to get proper care either.

Back