• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roanoke VA Reporter & Cameraman Shot Dead on Live TV

YO! I have a few guns but use my tree trimmer clipper thingy to kill rattle snakes and coral snakes and a few other big snakes

Really dude? Do you think the Black Panthers are the first to stumble across a concern about an oppressive central government, or did you just need a political sanitized source for the idea?

Now I follow.

There is no practical way to keep guns out of the hands of "crazies" without making them much harder to get for non-crazies and triggering NRA protest. None, zero, zip, zilch nada. To do so, you'd have to actually enact a dozen reforms the NRA and the GOP are adamantly against, like background checks on every sale of a weapon, a federal database of weapons and weapon sales, and a mental pre-check of first time gun buyers. Does anyone think the NRA is going to line up behind that?

That's because the "crazies" thing is a complete red herring anyway. Every single day in this country dozens of people are killed by firearms wielded by people with either no history of mental illness, or some mental disturbance that has never come to the attention of the authorities, or who are just criminals, or who are kids who find guns in the drawers of their "responsible" gun owner parents and grandparents. The killings committed by the "crazies" get publicity but are a rounding error in the scope of death-and-injury-by-gun in this country.

YO! I have a few guns but use my tree trimmer clipper thingy to kill rattle snakes and coral snakes and a few other big snakes

You mean with the long pole, like about 10'? That's a good idea, but it's still too close for me. I'd still prefer a shotgun from 20-30'. Maybe I'll just continue to live in the city.

Sorry, but my dense ass beat you to that conclusion a while back. Thank you for proving my point about people turning into overly emotional namby pambies.

Yet you still don't understand how this is different than just a guy shooting someone at work.

Now I follow.

There is no small measure of irony in people clamoring for rounding up guns in one thread and then decrying police overreach in the Ferguson thread. Protection from an overreaching government isn't a new concept. The struggle is balance.

I don't like our present approach of presuming people should get guns and then needing an excuse to take them away. I would prefer a much more rigorous licensing and permitting approach. It's wild to me that a nonviolent felon can't have a gun, but we're not (seriously) actively monitoring the mental health of people who possess firearms. Which of these two has proven more dangerous in our experience?

Last edited:
it's wild that the reporter and the lady being interviewed didn't noticed the cray guy walking up and sticking the gun in her face then backing off before he shot them. It's like he was videoing that to get her to see it and get a reaction at first. but they stuck to the interview. wild.

There is no small measure of irony in people clamoring for rounding up guns in one thread and then decrying police overreach in the Ferguson thread. Protection from an overreaching government isn't a new concept. The struggle is balance.

I don't like our present approach of presuming people should get guns and then needing an excuse to take them away. I would prefer a much more rigorous licensing and permitting approach. It's wild to me that a nonviolent felon can't have a gun, but we're not (seriously) actively monitoring the mental health of people who possess firearms. Which of these two has proven more dangerous in our experience?

I'm with you on the first part. I think we all need to turn in guns - citizens and police. Let's start with the military-style weapons first and work our way from there.

I believe in gun ownership but it is way too easy to get a gun in this country. And while I don't currently own a gun I do plan on purchasing one or more in the future but would have no problem going through a more intensive process to do so.

I believe in gun ownership but it is way too easy to get a gun in this country. And while I don't currently own a gun I do plan on purchasing one or more in the future but would have no problem going through a more intensive process to do so.

why do you plan on purchasing one or more in the future?

yeah, problem is that process is not federal and therefore varies wildly. In PA, you just walk into the local sheriff's office with an application, they take your pic and you get it in a week or so.

At least in Maine we were required to take a nominal "gun safety" class (that was total BS, btw).

The concealed carry class I took was on Groupon. It took half a Saturday. That's it. Here you go, sir, pay your $90 and here's your license to go get whatever gun you want.

I marveled at how ridiculously easy it was.

The concealed carry class I took was on Groupon. It took half a Saturday. That's it. Here you go, sir, pay your $90 and here's your license to go get whatever gun you want.

I marveled at how ridiculously easy it was.

It's a full or close to full day course in TX. Class, (easy) exam, and proficiency (e.g., shooting) test. Then fingerprinting and a background check, which takes a few weeks. It's easy to get through but the time and money commitment is enough to deter crazy people and impulse shooters. I am a gun owner, and would be fine with this requirement for any gun buyer.

TX also requires a gun safety course before people born after a certain date can get a hunting license. I'm exempt, but took the course anyway, and it's not hard, but it's harder than the CC one, because it covers shooting (which I know a lot about) and bow hunting (which I knew absolutely nothing about).

There is no practical way to keep guns out of the hands of "crazies" without making them much harder to get for non-crazies and triggering NRA protest. None, zero, zip, zilch nada. To do so, you'd have to actually enact a dozen reforms the NRA and the GOP are adamantly against, like background checks on every sale of a weapon, a federal database of weapons and weapon sales, and a mental pre-check of first time gun buyers. Does anyone think the NRA is going to line up behind that?

That's because the "crazies" thing is a complete red herring anyway. Every single day in this country dozens of people are killed by firearms wielded by people with either no history of mental illness, or some mental disturbance that has never come to the attention of the authorities, or who are just criminals, or who are kids who find guns in the drawers of their "responsible" gun owner parents and grandparents. The killings committed by the "crazies" get publicity but are a rounding error in the scope of death-and-injury-by-gun in this country.

Chalk it up to a rounding error all you want, but the one consistent thing I hear from people on this board is that "if it saves just one life, it's worth it." You could absolutely do some kind of mental health reform that involves flagging those who are fucked up. But again, you'd run into privacy advocates and have to navigate the waters of federal privacy protection. The practical realities of that are difficult, but much more feasible than doing whatever option you have in mind.

Really dude? Do you think the Black Panthers are the first to stumble across a concern about an oppressive central government, or did you just need a political sanitized source for the idea?

Just for shits and giggles, let's look at a list of countries ranked by personal and political freedoms, on which the US is ranked 21st. How on earth are all those countries ahead of us on the list protecting themselves from oppressive governments without any guns?

http://theweek.com/speedreads/441508/united-states-ranked-21st-worldwide-personal-freedom

Meanwhile, those bastions of freedom, Yemen, Serbia, Saudi Arabia and Iraq are successfully being not-free while trying (and failing) to catch up to US gun ownership rates!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

3871725-1373030102489649.png

Jesus Christ. Active shooter at Miss State

Back