• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roanoke VA Reporter & Cameraman Shot Dead on Live TV

I think it is pretty clear if you read his manifesto that his intention was to commit an act of racial terrorism. The whole mental health angle is complete BS. This dude was no more crazy than anyone else who murders innocent people. People need to stop making excuses for racist assholes because it doesn't fit their social paradigm. That includes people on both sides of the political aisle.

And that's fine, but that manifesto is batshit crazy. It moves between justifying mass murder, racial terrorism, and workplace violence. Regardless of which element you latch on to, it's a contradictory document (as most murderers' post-hoc manifestos tend to be). There isn't the cold rationality that was a facet in Dylann Roof's justification or even in the DC Sniper cases (just to give examples of white and black racial terrorism).

I agree with all of you that racial terrorism cuts both ways, but this just doesn't seem like the perfect case on which to base that point. If he shot up a WalMart in a white suburb, then perhaps, but he knew both of his victims and had blamed them and their conduct (no matter how long ago this happened) for contributing to his harassment and firing.

I apologize. The early reports stated the they had not overlapped. Even so, his work grievances were entirely racial. If it was workplace violence, why did he wait 2.5 years and why didn't he just go into the studio and open fire? His reaction to harmless comments were grasping for racism. That's crazytown. Has there ever been a workplace violence incident 2.5 years post firing? I'd be with you on this if he hadn't waited so long. The guy apparently sat in his place and filled himself with hate. And apparently dildos.

who is the y'all here? Seems like a lot of people (except ELC) have acknowledged that there was a racial component to the murder

Sorry, I have kind of checked out of this thread. I won't go back and read what I missed, but I don't find debating the racial component or lack thereof to be particularly relevant apart from motive, and motive is only important when you're trying to convict somebody.

This.

It's also weird to see Brews and DG3 argue that race matters so much when the dominant contrariant perspective on here is that racism is dead and bootstraps or whatever.

It's also interesting to me that this is the case where racism is obviously at play because its arguably a muddier motivation than in other pretty clear cut examples of racism that are discussed (and dismissed) in the Tunnels daily. Admitting this isn't the same as downplaying the potential hate crime component of this case.

I'm glad y'all feel strongly about this, but you're arguing against a straw man.

Now this is an interesting little paragraph. Let's see why...

First, I'm glad you're starting to see how frustrating it is when an obviously complex and layered problem is attributed---solely and vocally at every turn---to racism. It's lazy, unsophisticated and pretty frustrating to argue against, isn't it?

Second, despite the self-serving conclusion to the contrary, people don't deny racism exists as a problem, but I'll speak for myself and deny that racism is a solution. The 28 year old, unmarried grandmother with a tenth grade education, no marketable skills and six dependents isn't getting passed over for the 100,000 per annum middle management job because of the color of her skin (or as you so eloquently put it, race is a "muddier" contribution to her circumstance). Our dialogue about the problems and their solutions could use some maturity. We can admit that racism is a problem for another 75 years and it won't solve a thing.

Eta Third, racism meets its end when it is exposed as the farce that it is. For years, we've seen the racism attributed to the right unfolded and debunked. E.g. "A black person can't be Sheriff, Mayor, CEO, Senator, Justice of SCOTUS, Governor, POTUS." It wouldn't hurt our country to add to this struggle the racism of the left. E.g. "A black family can't stay together, provide for and educate their children, close the achievement gap, get into college, etc., etc., etc., without Our* help." Both, of course, are nonsense, and it's time our discussion started excavating past the first layer of "mud."

Last edited:
Great post.....though I am quite certain that it will fall on the usual tone-deaf ears.

I alluded to part of what you are saying in an earlier post when I said that the general attitude among many posters here is "Racism is everywhere....and if you fail, it isn't your fault. Racism is to blame." Some of the posters here demand absolutely no accountability for personal behavior as a requirement for any kind of success in life.....and if someone else has the gall to suggest that a 72% illegitimacy rate is a major factor contributing to the problem, well, they are just racists. That's about the size of it...at least as far as discussion on these boards is concerned.

lol

Bkf and jh have aligned their views on a political topic. Hell has frozen, folks.

Last edited:
Just the usual posters who can't distinguish pitch, you know?

Tell me again what you believe the black people you carefully avoided going to school/living/working with are uniquely incapable of.

I read Flannigan's and Roof's manifestos and the frame of mind of both seem pretty similar to me.

It just wouldn't be a major OGB thread without jh bringing up 2 parents.

Back