• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

John Malone nods in agreement.

Apologies for the source, this clip seems to be spreading with joy among the right wing crowd. (Which means they thing this was a .... good argument?)

But hey, I'm pretty sure the commentator's argument would also mean that confederate states owe reparations to families of union soldiers, so there's that.

John Malone nods in agreement.

Apologies for the source, this clip seems to be spreading with joy among the right wing crowd. (Which means they thing this was a .... good argument?)

But hey, I'm pretty sure the commentator's argument would also mean that confederate states owe reparations to families of union soldiers, so there's that.

It's a common argument they use. We've seen it on the boards before. Somehow they think buying slaves and then selling them or equating the African system of slavery with chattel slavery is a winning argument.

The AP ran a story that started with Dr Oz comforting a woman in PA, and only later edited it to identify the woman as an employee of the Oz campaign.

And the reporter promoted it using a quote from a Republican consultant in a Republican ad as if it was from a person they had talked to for the story.

It's a common argument they use. We've seen it on the boards before. Somehow they think buying slaves and then selling them or equating the African system of slavery with chattel slavery is a winning argument.
I'm legitimately confused. Are you saying that - in the event that reparations are paid - you disagree that everyone who profited off of slavery should contribute? Because that seems reasonable to me.

I’m saying it’s a whataboutism to equate two very different forms of slavery as an attempt to absolve white history of centuries of sin.

I’m saying it’s a whataboutism to equate two very different forms of slavery as an attempt to absolve white history of centuries of sin.
Thanks, that certainly makes sense. It also seems fair to acknowledge how widespread the sin was.

Conservatives seem to think liberals acknowledging means believe Black people are blameless. That’s why they seem to think Black gun violence is some kind of gotcha against gun control.

African slavery was bad but akin to prison labor now. Chattel slavery was enslaving generations based on skin color in order to establish a racial hierarchy.

i mean, african cultures had their own system(s) but also participated in the chattel slavery system.

How is that Brutal? Seems reasoned. My company did all those same things during COVID.

Further reduction of local news coverage, what could go wrong?
this is all to make shareholders happy but seems like shareholders would want a news organization to report the news. but what do I know, I'm not a shareholder.

this is all to make shareholders happy but seems like shareholders would want a news organization to report the news. but what do I know, I'm not a shareholder.

If you report the news and nobody reads or watches your reporting, is it really news ?

What makes shareholders happy is a profitable company first.

And none of that plan is unreasonable.

Back