• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

When I first read the story about the White House excluding the Times, CNN, BBC and others I thought surely there won't be a partisan reaction to this. This conduct is too outrageous and should offend every American as it goes against the very bedrock our country was founded on. But, sadly, my optimism in people's ability to be free thinkers and not slaves to their political party was misplaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. That's exactly what I said. Nailed it.

Where was the press during WMD? ACA? I would be more offended on their behalf if they actually performed their important function. To what do we owe your considerable reverence for their job performance? They spent the last 18 months trying to get Hillary elected and managed to miss the only story they claimed to be covering: look no further than who the President is that kicked out a few reporters. Nice job, idiots.

BSF disappears so you're going to take the dipshit shill mantel, eh?

When I first read the story about the White House excluding the Times, CNN, BBC and others I thought surely there won't be a partisan reaction to this. This conduct is too outrageous and should offend every American as it goes against the very bedrock our country was founded on. But, sadly, my optimism in people's ability to be free thinkers and not slaves to their political party was misplaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If other media outlets had the balls they used to, they'd boycott WH Press Briefings and hold alternate events right after. The press is as big a bunch of pussies as Trump is.

Not going to WHCD is a level of cowardice that is basically unprecedented.

are people not fucking seeing this slide into fascism? it's not even subtle...it's like point for point fascist playbook some of it is neofascism (subtle) but a lot of what trump is doing is flagrant and all at once.

journalism has been in trouble for a long time and it's one of the 20 or so serious societal threats resultant from a rapidly changing technological world. journalism is the first draft of history, and they act as a watchdog against corruption and guardians of 1st amendment.

the decline of traditional journalism jeopardizes our system of government. an attack on journalism is nothing less than to attack what it means to be american. can't believe we got history majors not standing up for journalists.

Last edited:
power has been trending towards executive branch naturally for a very, very long time possibly since inception. and you "republicans" are gonna cheer this on to speed up? what about state rights? small govt? what's you're plan if bannon et al actually do completely realize their agenda? you all are fools and have no idea what's at stake here.

Last edited:
Plenty of people like fascism. They just don't like being called fascist. Call it "alt-democracy" or conservatism and it's acceptable.

are people not fucking seeing this slide into fascism? it's not even subtle...it's like point for point fascist playbook some of it is neofascism (subtle) but a lot of what trump is doing is flagrant and all at once.

journalism has been in trouble for a long time and it's one of the 20 or so serious societal threats resultant from a rapidly changing technological world. journalism is the first draft of history, and they act as a watchdog against corruption and guardians of 1st amendment.

the decline of traditional journalism jeopardizes our system of government. an attack on journalism is nothing less than to attack what it means to be american. can't believe we got history majors not standing up for journalists.

But the internet does not reuire and often counters, journalistic professionalism. There are no checks on internet sources. People need to hold internet news sites to the same standards they held "old" print and electronic outlets. Until this is done, it will only get worse.

Dangerous crackpots like Breitbart and others can easily sabotage all news sources.

and palma if you're wondering why the quality of video news isn't better it's because local papers have already bit the dust, and that was largely where mainstream cable got their news from.

people stop quoting the trolls i'm not supposed to see their garbage.

BSF disappears so you're going to take the dipshit shill mantel, eh?

What in my post is factually incorrect? Is it your belief that I am wrong-- you believe the media got this election right? Of course you can't argue that, so you call me a name instead. *yawn*

What in my post is factually incorrect? Is it your belief that I am wrong-- you believe the media got this election right? Of course you can't argue that, so you call me a name instead. *yawn*

If the weather channel gets it wrong one day, do you stop trusting the weather channel?

If the weather channel gets it wrong one day, do you stop trusting the weather channel?

I am not sure a single day's forecast is a fair analogy to a two year Presidential campaign. I think it is worth asking why so many people stopped trusting the old line media. Why do you think that is? One bad day, or is possible that something else is happening?

As I shared with somebody else offline, the reason Trump is picking this fight is because he knows that by pitting himself against the media's palpable unpopularity, he gets to discredit their legitimate questions. Again, ask yourself why this is effective: why don't people believe them anymore?

Not to mention that the media got it mostly right. They reported the polls exactly as they were taken. The most conservative (heh) odds at FiveThirtyEight gave Trump a 30% chance of winning. Very few outlets did not give Trump any chance of making the White House. The polls were correct, as the popular vote was exactly as predicted.

If the media were truly biased regarding the election, they would have buried the Comey letter story that came out before the election. CNN ran no less than 6 articles about the Comey letter in the two days after Comey's letter. The New York Times ran 5 articles the day of the letter, as did POLITICO. Hell, even the Huffington Post ran multiple articles the day of and the days following. Nothing about that remotely insinuates a national media bias against Pubs or Trump.

Maybe if a bunch of media outlets report negatively about Trump, it's because he sucks at his job and has exhibited character traits that are troubling in a co-worker, let alone the so-called leader of the free world.

Back