• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

It's kind of hard to assess Ron's tenure since it's hard to know how much responsibility he really had for the biggest advances the AD made while he was here (e.g., facilities upgrades, the Clawson hire, etc.).

I would say his time at Wake was a net positive. He was well-respected by peers, played a meaningful role during expansion, and was mostly a good rep of the school. But boy were there were some low lows along the way ([Redacted], Manning, some other bad hires that got less attention). He didn't relate to or communicate well with a lot of fans and students and our marketing/media areas always seemed lacking, yet he lived very nicely off his job as AD.

No surprise they plan to install him in the HOF. Guess it's not enough to name half a dozen places on campus after him. Beyond caring at this point. Currie is a breath of fresh air.

Currie is exactly what Wake needs. I met Wellman a few times and he would gladly tell you he was the smartest man in the room. Always came across as aloof.
The outreach to the general Triad community by Currie has just been amazing. He seems very approachable and adaptable, neither a Wellman quality.

How about a regular season ACC Championship? Plus, the support of the entire Deacon Nation except maybe one supporter.

How about a regular season ACC Championship? Plus, the support of the entire Deacon Nation except maybe one supporter.
But nothing in the post season because he never coached defense. He got to 1 semi-final Saturday in the ACCT, one Sweet 16 I believe, then threw up all over himself in Cleveland vs WVa in 2nd round as the 2 seed.
14 pt lead at the half with CP, Taron, JGray, Big E & Ellis. Screwed up a T free throws by putting Levy at the line for all 4 instead of CP for first two. Then let John Beilein out coach him in 2nd half with changing defenses where we played none! Even called a key offensive play down the stretch for Big E, only to be told by Ellis that E wasn’t in the game during the timeout! He choked!

If you don't consider Skip Prosser a net positive in the history of our Athletic Department you are a bigger moron than I already thought.
Go learn to pay your caddies! Consider Skip a positive, just don’t consider him an all-time great just because he could quote Chaucer. 17-17, 3-13 & 15-16, 5-11 his last two years at Wake. Put him at 52-44 overall ACC record.

Go learn to pay your caddies! Consider Skip a positive, just don’t consider him an all-time great just because he could quote Chaucer. 17-17, 3-13 & 15-16, 5-11 his last two years at Wake. Put him at 52-44 overall ACC record.
God what an awful take.

wellman was good but stayed probably 6-8 years too long

He's an egotistical shithead, always has been, always will be.

Ron Wellman was long considered the best AD around. Withered would be no Deacon Tower without him. This board owes him a big debt of gratitude.

What’s the caddy thing?

24 year old me forgot to pay his son for caddying for me in a US Amatuer qualifier way back in 2002. I wish I could say something cute like I paid him in radio presents, but alas I can't. It was an absolutely terrible mistake that I own, and one I never repeated.

And it has fuckall to do with how much of a moron TheReff is.

Well if it’s still getting to the reff 20 years later then I’d consider that money (not) well spent.

Back