• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

Ph, I think that on an individual level Battle is a good recruiter with the kids but by that neither he nor the other coaches on the staff had had the vision/ability to put together a team that is functional on all levels of the game, leading to the mess WF has had the past two years. I think that next seasons class is a step in the right direction but do agree with you that all 6 probably won't finish up at WF. I'd love for the program to head back to how it was in the past with freshmen and sophs playing only when they are special talents while Juniors and Seniors lead the team and play most of the minutes. Wisconsin would be the example i'd most like emulate. Unfortunately with the WF program being in the shape it is now we have to play those freshman and sophs because that's all WF has. The inability of the staff to keep all of the recruits for 4 years has really led to this problem. Some of that comes from bad luck but some comes from the type of kid that was being recruited.

And some of that is because they left early for the NBA.

Oooh a Top 15 class. Wow. LOWF has never had a Top 15 6-man class before. Anybody who is banking on the incoming class is just doomed to repeating history. Anybody with a clue knows how this story goes. One or two are legit, one or two transfer, and the rest are passable ACC players. Any players who are studs will leave after 2 years.

Anyway, those of us who were really on top of it were saying that keeping AT&T was a distant priority to hiring the best possible coach. I think that argument has held up well considering how trying to continue Skip's fading legacy has put this program is a very bad spot made worse by hiring Bz. We're State in the Les Robinson era at this point. Who knows how long it will take to get out of this.

Have you ever in your life played competitive sports? Skip's fading legacy as you put it consisted of recruiting athletes that were weak on fundamentals and the concept of team basketball. How far did we ever get in the post season with the great athletes he had? As to your earlier comment that we were a top 10 team before Buzz got here, same question, how far did we fo into the post season?

Add that to the fact that in the last 2 years we have lost Woods, Ari, Tabb, JTT, Woods(for half a year), and Tony's injury last year. Really great classes that Dino and Skip brought in.If you want to split hairs and call them Buzz's class because he kept them, fine he had no choice if we wanted to even field a team.

I believe that this year's freshmen(his 1st. class), although not highly regarded will make a longer and more positive impact than all of the suppossed higher ranked recruits that made up Skip and Dino's last classses. With the talent coming in next year, we can accurately begin to judge his coaching ability.

I really don't understand how you can judge coaching when we are essentially playing 3 against 5 (Nikita and Caraon would not even see the floor on any other ACC team). How the heck do you mask that?

If at this time next year we haven't seen significent improvement, I'll eat crow and bow to your vast basketball acumen. OTOH, if the opposite occurs , well?????

Melvin Tabb was a high school senior when [Redacted] was hired.

And was already committed to Dino and WF. Did you want Bzz to scrap a top 15 recruiting class for some kids that weren't ACC material (in theory) or work with what Dino had brought in? I think that answer is fairly obvious.

Remember last year this time when the board geniuses were saying "If we haven't seen significant improvement by February...."

65, your post makes no sense. First, I didn't make the earlier comment you said I made. Try to read next time. Answer this question, 65.

In the 37 games of Jeff [Redacted]'s time at Wake, do you think the team is playing above the individual talent levels of the players? Do you feel like the players are getting better as individuals?

Even if you think this talent is completely worthless, we're going to need a coach who can get make a team more than the sum of their parts.

Football? where we are going to our 4th bowl in 6 years?

If you are going to bitch about non-revenue sports performance, which has been at an historically high level overall, then don't claim that nobody cares about them once you are proven wrong.

Actually, basketball pays for it all. Well, at least it did. Now? Who knows?

[Redacted] was a bad hire. People want to push this notion that the program was in horrific shape when [Redacted] took over. Let's review the facts:
1. Talent and experience: for the 2010-2011 season we were returning two promising sophomores, one of whom had the characteristics of a natural born leader; we also had two 7 foot centers, one of whom proved to be a decent contributor on a solid team the previous year and the other the Dino-bashers assured us would thrive if handled correctly; finally we had a talented 5 man class (more talented than the 2012 class, sorry) that included two players with obvious star potential.

2. Culture: well, Ty was a box full of problems from day one (and very little could be done about it by anyone); Tabb was rumored to be a bit lazy when it came to conditioning, and JTT was praised for having a bit of an edge on the basketball court. Wellman would have known about the Gary Clark scandal, but that hardly showed a systematic problem. Dino's reported inability to control Johnson and obvious inability to manage the chemistry of the team likely contributed to his firing, but also didn't show a systematic problem.

People want to change the record due to all the entirely unpredictable shit that has happened since, but the fact is that in 2010 the basketball program looked to be in pretty solid shape. Not blaming [Redacted] for that, but I am blaming Wellman for not leveraging the condition of the program in hiring a qualified candidate.

Tom Penders does not believe Mr. Wellman is a good AD, per Twitter

Tom Penders also got into a pissing match like an 8 year old yesterday with Jeff Goodman.

Have you ever in your life played competitive sports? Skip's fading legacy as you put it consisted of recruiting athletes that were weak on fundamentals and the concept of team basketball. How far did we ever get in the post season with the great athletes he had? As to your earlier comment that we were a top 10 team before Buzz got here, same question, how far did we fo into the post season?

Add that to the fact that in the last 2 years we have lost Woods, Ari, Tabb, JTT, Woods(for half a year), and Tony's injury last year. Really great classes that Dino and Skip brought in.If you want to split hairs and call them Buzz's class because he kept them, fine he had no choice if we wanted to even field a team.

I believe that this year's freshmen(his 1st. class), although not highly regarded will make a longer and more positive impact than all of the suppossed higher ranked recruits that made up Skip and Dino's last classses. With the talent coming in next year, we can accurately begin to judge his coaching ability.

I really don't understand how you can judge coaching when we are essentially playing 3 against 5 (Nikita and Caraon would not even see the floor on any other ACC team). How the heck do you mask that?

If at this time next year we haven't seen significent improvement, I'll eat crow and bow to your vast basketball acumen. OTOH, if the opposite occurs , well?????
No.
6594886.jpeg

Also, you are aware that Wake Forest is not the first head coaching job Jeff [Redacted] has held, correct?

And was already committed to Dino and WF. Did you want Bzz to scrap a top 15 recruiting class for some kids that weren't ACC material (in theory) or work with what Dino had brought in? I think that answer is fairly obvious.

Do you blame Dino for Ty Walker?

Of course, Ron Wellman, if asked, would probably say that Tom Penders is not a good basketball coach.

Damn.

Tom_crop_normal.JPG

TomPenders Tom Penders @

@tomsiff How the hell does Wellman keep his job. Can't believe how such an incompetent person can hold on to his job!

20 minutes ago

Tom_crop_normal.JPG

TomPenders Tom Penders @

@Lexvegaskid Very disappointed in Wake Forest & BC! You have to read "Dead Coach Walking" to understand why. It has a lot to do with the ADs

28 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/TomPenders/status/140296878632873984

Tom_crop_normal.JPG

TomPenders Tom Penders

Watching Wake Forest play is like watching water evaporate. Why did they fire Dino Gaudio who won & played uptempo?

4 hours ago

I thought it was a crazy decision to fire Dino - whether you thought he could coach or not - when Wellman did. I thought it was an equally crazy decision to hire a guy whose track record at Colorado was, at best, marginal. I think it would be crazy to bail after one year and 5 games as well. Sometimes, you make your bed and have to spend enough time to figure out if you can sleep in it. Let's be realistic, folks: do you really think it would be in the best interest of the program at this point to hire third coach in five years, regardless of your feelings about Buzz?

Bz is not going to be terminated this season or next for anything that happens on the court.

RW is not going anywhere, unless or until he wants to go on his own terms.

No.
6594886.jpeg

Also, you are aware that Wake Forest is not the first head coaching job Jeff [Redacted] has held, correct?

Actually no, I really don't know anything about sports or coaching. From now on I'll certainly keep my opinions to myself and let you experts speak for me.

"Sometimes, you make your bed and have to spend enough time to figure out if you can sleep in it."

That makes no sense. Do you mean we have to spend time accepting that Wake basketball is among the worst major college basketball programs right now before getting better?

I do see the point of not throwing good money after bad or compounding bad decisions with other bad decisions. But at this point, Bz hasn't even earned the capital to stay pat. Things are just going to steadily keep getting worse.

Back