• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

People know that Gaudio wasn't Ron's first choice, right? Isn't it fairly well known that Battle was offered the job first, but turned it down because of his wife's cancer/failing health at the time?

I don't think Wellman should be fired. I appreciate a lot of the good things he's done for Wake. But the Bz hire was just bizarre. And it still might work out. I really believe that. But if it doesn't he's set back the moneymaker for Wake athletics big time.

Where does most of $$$ from athletics come from? Being in the ACC for bowl & ESPN seems more important than W's, right?

How many times does this have to be explained? It seems like it's the same posters every time, too.

A competent AD had two options -- fire Gaudio or give him the "extension." You never go into a season with a lame duck coach. The extension was effectively for show and essentially came with a warning/ultimatum in the form of the coaching staff shuffle.

Hey you dbag, it was a stupid fucking decision to give a guy a guaranteed contract and then turn right around and fire him. Try to spin it however you want. Dumb fucking decision Einstein and it cost Wake a ton of money. And now we're busing guys to Charlotte to fly them coach to Orlando.

The extension of the Gaudio contract, and then turning around firing him within a matter of months, was a head scratcher. Maybe that's why the team had to fly coach out of Charlotte instead of chartering a plane- the money's not coming in like it once did at a time when the AD has huge expenses.

The contract extension was to give Dino the ability to recruit. Everyone he was recruiting had another coach in their ear about how Dino didn't have a contract and that he was out after his current contract was over. It's the wasy recruiting works and Ron had to give Dino a contract to allow him to bring in talent. Unfortunately Dino brought in headaches that didn't turn out how the program had hoped.

Hey you dbag, it was a stupid fucking decision to give a guy a guaranteed contract and then turn right around and fire him. Try to spin it however you want. Dumb fucking decision Einstein and it cost Wake a ton of money. And now we're busing guys to Charlotte to fly them coach to Orlando.

Calm down, dude.

From everything I've heard, the buy-out was not affected by the extension. Like I said, it was essentially for show.

Calm down, dude.

From everything I've heard, the buy-out was not affected by the extension. Like I said, it was essentially for show.

Okay. My apologies. Your condescension combined with the Poindexter avatar set me off. :thumbsup:

How many times does this have to be explained? It seems like it's the same posters every time, too.

A competent AD had two options -- fire Gaudio or give him the "extension." You never go into a season with a lame duck coach. The extension was effectively for show and essentially came with a warning/ultimatum in the form of the coaching staff shuffle.

Ohio State did with Luke Fickell. Looks like it will work out okay for them. Not that I don't agree with you, just saying.

Ok, so are people pissed that he stayed in house with the hire after Battle passed? I personally was psyched at the time when we had Aminu, Ish, Teague, Johnson and Chaz playing pretty good ball. Then the Cleveland State Steamers shat on our face and all hope was lost forever. I still haven't recovered from that 9-0 start with back-to-back-to-back threes. I think we make a legitimate run in the tourney if we get past round 1 that year...

Ok, so are people pissed that he stayed in house with the hire after Battle passed? I personally was psyched at the time when we had Aminu, Ish, Teague, Johnson and Chaz playing pretty good ball. Then the Cleveland State Steamers shat on our face and all hope was lost forever. I still haven't recovered from that 9-0 start with back-to-back-to-back threes. I think we make a legitimate run in the tourney if we get past round 1 that year...

NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+First+Round+Miami+1WvPj_OMUB5m.jpg

I have accepted the fact that this year will be as bad as last year because of the loss of 3 players, nobody down low, a questionable coach and did I mention NO SIZE!?
Bzzz will get 4 years minimum but if we do not see some massive improvement next season then....I would hate to be Mr. Wellman.

The ONLY thing keeping Wellman's ass out of the fire is Jim Grobe.

That is really really true. Except for the football success and the facilities at the BB & T Field, there is not much success during Ron Wellmans last 10 years or so. We cannot say mens golf has accomplished much and that used to be our top program. Mens basketball is in shambles and has been for over 5 years. Womens basketball has been in shambles ever since Ron Wellman has been at the helm. When all of our home conference games start showing up on television, the spare seats will be a total embarrassment. Baseball seems to be looking up some with Tom Walters but the prior Ron Wellman hiring was terrible. It is hard to say that volleyball has been anything but average at best.

It is time for a change at the top and hopefully President Hatch is realizing that.

That is really really true. Except for the football success and the facilities at the BB & T Field, there is not much success during Ron Wellmans last 10 years or so. We cannot say mens golf has accomplished much and that used to be our top program. Mens basketball is in shambles and has been for over 5 years. Womens basketball has been in shambles ever since Ron Wellman has been at the helm. When all of our home conference games start showing up on television, the spare seats will be a total embarrassment. Baseball seems to be looking up some with Tom Walters but the prior Ron Wellman hiring was terrible. It is hard to say that volleyball has been anything but average at best.

It is time for a change at the top and hopefully President Hatch is realizing that.

Yeah, except for those 4 national titles in soccer and field hockey this decade, which matches all of the national titles in school history before this past decade. Oh yeah, and our women's soccer team just qualified for the final four tonight.

Last edited:
Yeah, except for those 4 national titles in soccer and field hockey.

... and all 300 people were thrilled. Aren't you an accountant?

It's numbers man. It's all about numbers. Take a wild-ass guess as to which program(s) fund soccer and women's field hockey.

Football? where we are going to our 4th bowl in 6 years?

If you are going to bitch about non-revenue sports performance, which has been at an historically high level overall, then don't claim that nobody cares about them once you are proven wrong.

The contract extension was to give Dino the ability to recruit. Everyone he was recruiting had another coach in their ear about how Dino didn't have a contract and that he was out after his current contract was over. It's the wasy recruiting works and Ron had to give Dino a contract to allow him to bring in talent. Unfortunately Dino brought in headaches that didn't turn out how the program had hoped.

What headaches had Dino brought in when he was fired?

Back