• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

Was just a joke of a weekend for Wake basketball....when your silver lining is that you competed well (against Dayton) but still lost (I fucking hate Archie Miller for the record), you've got big problems. I will never understand Bzz hire....done trying. Should have hired Tubby Smith.

I have missed very few games since 1969 and have stood by our basketball program through all the ups and downs. It was clear last year that Ron Wellman's unilateral decision to hire his friend was a horrendous mistake. [Redacted] is a clown and a joke. The players dislike him, the students have no interest in his program, the alumnae I talk with think he is in way over his head, and the media finds him to be a waste. It was clear last year that he was a terrible fit.
Ron Wellman did the right thing firing Gaudio, and he had the opportunity to organize a comprehensive search to identify the best candidate to lead our program. But he made the biggest mistake of his career. Listening to him defend [Redacted] on all the post game shows last year was pathetic.
I have a very bad feeling that Wellman will allow this disaster to continue in hopes that somehow, his decision may, some day, not look so asinine.
This is like a bad dream and who knows when Ron Wellman will wake up.

Ron has certainly earned the "You fix this before I have to" speech from Hatch. Hatch needs to be giving that speech if this team doesn't win four games in an atrocious ACC in Year Two. FSU--picked third---just lost to Harvard.

For example, who is the third best coach in the ACC?

Wellman turned around the football program with a perfect hire in Grobe but this basketball hire was atrocious. He should admit he fucked up, fire Bzz and get one more shot at another coach. If he screws that up and messes up the hire after Grobe, can him. Either way he's been a solid AD, he may just be past his expiration date.

Ron Wellman hired Jim Caldwell. Let's not get carried away.

Ron has certainly earned the "You fix this before I have to" speech from Hatch. Hatch needs to be giving that speech if this team doesn't win four games in an atrocious ACC in Year Two. FSU--picked third---just lost to Harvard.

Once again Harvard will come close to an at-large bid and will probably be ranked on Monday if they beat UCF tomorrow.

Hamilton is the third best coach in the conference.

People who want to fire Wellman have no idea what they are talking about. Bzz is a crappy coach but Wellman has his morals and standards for the school and program and wanted to clean it up. Bzz is doing that. The team is going to be awful until reinforcements arrive next season, but those that didn't think that coming into the season have no grasp on college basketball. Wanting to fire Wellman is ludicrous.

I have missed very few games since 1969 and have stood by our basketball program through all the ups and downs. It was clear last year that Ron Wellman's unilateral decision to hire his friend was a horrendous mistake. [Redacted] is a clown and a joke. The players dislike him, the students have no interest in his program, the alumnae I talk with think he is in way over his head, and the media finds him to be a waste. It was clear last year that he was a terrible fit.
Ron Wellman did the right thing firing Gaudio, and he had the opportunity to organize a comprehensive search to identify the best candidate to lead our program. But he made the biggest mistake of his career. Listening to him defend [Redacted] on all the post game shows last year was pathetic.
I have a very bad feeling that Wellman will allow this disaster to continue in hopes that somehow, his decision may, some day, not look so asinine.
This is like a bad dream and who knows when Ron Wellman will wake up.

:golfclap:

Once again Harvard will come close to an at-large bid and will probably be ranked on Monday if they beat UCF tomorrow.

Hamilton is the third best coach in the conference.

How many Elite Eights has he been to?

That's a horrifying thought. The third best coach in the conference might be a guy who's yet to coach a conference game.

The Caldwell hire seemed like a good risk at the time. Bring in a minority coach from a very successful BCS program.

Since he is the coach of the Colts, can't really say it was a terrible hire by Wake, which was a doormat.

The sudden death of our basketball coach may have hurt our basketball program. Just a thought.

Wellman is a great AD.

Obviously it did hurt our basketball program. However, it is now 4 years since that tragic death, and two hires have been made since then, no longer can it be used as an excuse, IMO.

Also, you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are, IAI.

Obviously it did hurt our basketball program. However, it is now 4 years since that tragic death, and two hires have been made since then, no longer can it be used as an excuse, IMO.

Also, you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are, IAI.

You are as stupid as everyone thinks you are, though.

Where were you guys last night? LOL. His job seemed pretty safe up until about an hour ago.

People who want to fire Wellman have no idea what they are talking about. Bzz is a crappy coach but Wellman has his morals and standards for the school and program and wanted to clean it up. Bzz is doing that. The team is going to be awful until reinforcements arrive next season, but those that didn't think that coming into the season have no grasp on college basketball. Wanting to fire Wellman is ludicrous.

Thank you, Mrs. Wellman.

Aww I'm sorry you don't agree with me. The things Wellman has done for the athletic program are extremely impressive. There is a reason he is so highly respected by his peers throughout the country.

Nothing like being the worst bcs team in america to bring a fan base together.

No, it wasn't. But, I thinking the "fucking" part just cleared it up.

I said Wellman hired the perfect football coach, so worst case he's what, 1 for 3 in hiring perfect football coaches? I can't remember if he hired the guy before Caldwell or not. Either way, do you dispute that Grobe was the perfect Wake hire? If not, then shut up.

Back