• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

The Caldwell hire seemed like a good risk at the time. Bring in a minority coach from a very successful BCS program.

Since he was the coach of the Colts and ran it into the ground in only three years since Dungy handed him the reigns, can't really say it was a terrible hire by Wake, which was a doormat.

FIFY

Aww I'm sorry you don't agree with me. The things Wellman has done for the athletic program are extremely impressive. There is a reason he is so highly respected by his peers throughout the country.

Get that perspective out of here man what's your problem :tear:

Just listened to the post-game interview with our coach. Jeff, to be frank, using your favorite expression, you have absolutely no clue and have absolutely no business being a Division One basketball coach. You apparently have no more skill coaching than you do expressing yourself to the media and the Wake Forest community.

That's a horrifying thought. The third best coach in the conference might be a guy who's yet to coach a conference game.

Right, and we're going to fight for 11th. :(

The sudden death of our basketball coach may have hurt our basketball program. Just a thought.

Wellman is a great AD.

I understood why he went with Gaudio. But I have no idea why he extended his contract. And the "process" for the Bzzz hire was ridiculous.

No. No, it's not.

Either alumni and fans want to clean this shit-hole of a program up or they don't.

Either that, or Alumni and fans know that he oversees more than just the B-Ball program.

See numbers' post on the first page. That's exactly how I feel. He should not be fired, but Bzzz has lost me...

Just listened to the post-game interview with our coach. Jeff, to be frank, using your favorite expression, you have absolutely no clue and have absolutely no business being a Division One basketball coach. You apparently have no more skill coaching than you do expressing yourself to the media and the Wake Forest community.

What did he say? I had no desire to listen but would appreciate a recap.

Neither Ron Wellman nor Jeff [Redacted] will be fired so everyone needs to get that out of your heads. There is no fix for this team with only 8 marginally talented players, whether Bz is coaching or even if John Wooden were to come back from the dead to take over. We are what we are and until reinforcements arrive next season we will be terrible, and I have come to accept it distasteful as it may be. If that makes me a bad fan or lowf, then so be it because I refuse to beat my head against a wall that I can not change

What did he say?

Couple points - 1) Hatch won't say anything b/c the guy is an academic at heart and a poor communicator. Not a CEO type.

2) Can't defend this loss. BUT criticism towards Wellman can only go so far. The guy is one of the best - good luck finding a better AD, because there isn't one. Period.

What can a coach say after a 30 point loss that makes you feel better about him?

I understood why he went with Gaudio. But I have no idea why he extended his contract. And the "process" for the Bzzz hire was ridiculous.

The extension of the Gaudio contract, and then turning around firing him within a matter of months, was a head scratcher. Maybe that's why the team had to fly coach out of Charlotte instead of chartering a plane- the money's not coming in like it once did at a time when the AD has huge expenses.

Couple points - 1) Hatch won't say anything b/c the guy is an academic at heart and a poor communicator. Not a CEO type.

2) Can't defend this loss. BUT criticism towards Wellman can only go so far. The guy is one of the best - good luck finding a better AD, because there isn't one. Period.

I've heard this line for 20 years of my career. "No one can replace XXXX". You would be amazed.

The extension of the Gaudio contract, and then turning around firing him within a matter of months, was a head scratcher. Maybe that's why the team had to fly coach out of Charlotte instead of chartering a plane- the money's not coming in like it once did at a time when the AD has huge expenses.

How many times does this have to be explained? It seems like it's the same posters every time, too.

A competent AD had two options -- fire Gaudio or give him the "extension." You never go into a season with a lame duck coach. The extension was effectively for show and essentially came with a warning/ultimatum in the form of the coaching staff shuffle.

BUT criticism towards Wellman can only go so far. The guy is one of the best - good luck finding a better AD, because there isn't one. Period.

I don't think Wellman should be fired. I appreciate a lot of the good things he's done for Wake. But the Bz hire was just bizarre. And it still might work out. I really believe that. But if it doesn't he's set back the moneymaker for Wake athletics big time.

Back