• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy's seat gets hotter

Looming sanctions are already killing UNC. Even if they never happen, the threat is running recruits off.

He's a bad bench coach, a phony personality, hiding a scandal, and an underperformer. An empty suit could have won natty's with some of his talent. The same empty suit could recruit to Carolina, too. I've never been impressed with Roy.

Still, can't argue results, dude wins championships.
Won none at Kansas despite having best team 4 or 5 times

He's a bad bench coach, a phony personality, hiding a scandal, and an underperformer. An empty suit could have won natty's with some of his talent. The same empty suit could recruit to Carolina, too. I've never been impressed with Roy.

Still, can't argue results, dude wins championships.
Your first paragraph does argue results, and succesfully at that.

Tarhole recruiting has fallen off pretty hard in the last 4-5 years, by their standards. 90% of NCAA programs would dream of stocking their roster with four star top 100 recruits like Roy has done consistently this decade, but results show that he needs elite players to win.

Tarhole recruiting has fallen off pretty hard in the last 4-5 years, by their standards. 90% of NCAA programs would dream of stocking their roster with four star top 100 recruits like Roy has done consistently this decade, but results show that he needs elite players to win.

And what coach doesn't? Cal? K?......

And what coach doesn't? Cal? K?......
Jay Wright, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Greg Marshall, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Mark Few, and Fred Hoiberg are the few coaches off the top of my head who could coach circles around Roy with a roster like that. I bet that Cal and Coach K would also if either ever fell off in recruiting enough to prove it.

You just named the best coaches tho. Roy isn't the best coach level but he is def above average as a college coach if you exclude recruiting

Last edited:
Jay Wright, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Greg Marshall, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Mark Few, and Fred Hoiberg are the few coaches off the top of my head who could coach circles around Roy with a roster like that. I bet that Cal and Coach K would also if either ever fell off in recruiting enough to prove it.

You think Roy--who has the highest winning percentage of any active college basketball coach---isn't as good a coach as Tom Izzo? Rick Pitino?

Roy Williams' Tar Heels are 7-0 against Tom Izzo, including blowing them out in 2009 in Michigan for the National title and beating then #1 Michigan State by two touchdowns (79-65) in East Lansing in 2013.

After yesterday's result, Pitino is now 1-8 against UNC all-time.

Roy is 5-2 in NCAAT games against Izzo, Pitino and K.

Roy has recruited a lot of talent of the years, true (and that's a mark against him how?), but he also has the most wins all-time against AP#1 of any active college basketball coach.

Tell the top of your head to look up at the scoreboard.

Last edited:
You think Roy--who has the highest winning percentage of any active college basketball coach---isn't as good a coach as Tom Izzo? Rick Pitino?

Roy Williams' Tar Heels are 7-0 against Tom Izzo, including blowing them out in 2009 in Michigan for the National title and beating then #1 Michigan State by two touchdowns (79-65) in East Lansing in 2013.

After yesterday's result, Pitino is now 1-8 against UNC all-time.

Roy is 5-2 in NCAAT games against Izzo, Pitino and K.

Roy has recruited a lot of talent of the years, true (and that's a mark against him how?), but he also has the most wins all-time against AP#1 of any active college basketball coach.

Tell the top of your head to look up at the scoreboard.

Ouch, pwned.

Ouch, pwned.

Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo in Detroit (twice in the same year, once for the national title). Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo in East Lansing. Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo in Chapel Hill. Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo when Roy Williams was #1. Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo when Tom Izzo was #1. Roy Williams ran out of ways to beat Tom Izzo on dry land so then Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo on a boat in front of the President of the United States, just to find new and different ways to make beating Tom Izzo interesting in order to stave off the boredom of beating Tom Izzo .

24gvaqt.jpg

Tom Izzo has never beaten Roy Williams' Tar Heels. You can have Tom Izzo. Give me Roy Williams.

Last edited:
Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo in Detroit (twice in the same year, once for the national title). Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo in East Lansing. Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo in Chapel Hill. Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo when Roy Williams was #1. Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo when Tom Izzo was #1. Roy Williams ran out of ways to beat Tom Izzo on dry land so then Roy Williams beat Tom Izzo on a boat in front of the President of the United States, just to find new and different ways to make beating Tom Izzo interesting in order to stave off the boredom of beating Tom Izzo .

24gvaqt.jpg

Tom Izzo has never beaten Roy Williams' Tar Heels. You can have Tom Izzo. Give me Roy Williams.
Reading is fundamental. Were recruiting even, Izzo is the much better coach. Calipari is 7-2 against Pitino at UK, but I doubt any of you consider him a better bench coach than Pitino. The vast majority of the wins against Izzo that you're talking about came from Roy's most talented teams.

Historically Roy is a much better recruiter than all of the coaches I listed, and he's always been at schools that attract the highest level of talent.

Reading is fundamental. Were recruiting even, Izzo is the much better coach. Calipari is 7-2 against Pitino at UK, but I doubt any of you consider him a better bench coach than Pitino. The vast majority of the wins against Izzo that you're talking about came from Roy's most talented teams.
I don't like Roy personally and think he is a cheater and a fraud. However it comes across as disingenuous homerism to try and discredit Roy as a coach.

So he somehow isn't a good coach because he recruits to well? The guy has won 2 nattys. Nobody just walks into a National championship regardless of the kind of talent that's on the team.

I'm gonna go with the Wake grad over the UNC, App and WCU grads in this one #density

Last edited:
I don't like Roy personally and think he is a cheater and a fraud. However it comes across as disingenuous homerism to try and discredit Roy as a coach.

So he somehow isn't a good coach because he recruits to well? The guy has won 2 nattys. Nobody just walks into a National championship regardless of the kind of talent that's on the team.
The few people here debating my point don't actually seem to be reading or understanding my argument. Let's make this simple: Roy is (was?) an excellent recruiter but just a good bench coach. I think the arrival of Sean Miller at Arizona, John Calipari at UK, and K's change of recruiting philosophy at Duke have made Roy's recruiting job much more difficult. Roy isn't getting the full compliment of 5* talent that he was getting during his heyday at Kansas & UNC. His last great players were 2010&11 recruits, and they all left in 2012.

Last edited:
The few people here debating my point don't actually seem to be reading or understanding my argument. Let's make this simple: Roy is (was?) an excellent recruiter but just a good bench coach. I think the arrival of Sean Miller at Arizona, John Calipari at UK, and K's change of recruiting philosophy at Duke have made Roy's recruiting job much more difficult. Roy isn't getting the full compliment of 5* talent that he was getting during his heyday at Kansas & UNC. His last great players were 2010&11 recruits, and they all left in 2012.
So he is a great coach overall, but just an average in game coach. I agree with that.

I'd put him and Kal squarely in the biggest slime ball college coaches of all time catagorie though.

Last edited:
Back