• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rumor: Notre Dame Dropping 2014 Wake Forest football game

Would be strange though -- if we could work out playing Notre Dame in a different year, presumably any other ACC school could do the same? Could really play havoc with scheduling

I think part of the issue was also that the conference said we would play a 9 game schedule. So teams had to drop a game. Then they went back on that and made it an 8 game schedule so teams were left scrambling.

I think the ACC would be doing them a favor and allow them to delay it one year (play 6 ACC teams in 2015 instead), since they are having trouble getting out of their game with Purdue for next year, and currently have 13 contracted games for 12 spots. They already tried to drop their return trip to Arizona State next year (without success).

Hey, let's play Purdue. They are the only team from a power conference that has a worse offense than us.

I do hope that a Notre Dame scheduling issue is the reason for this move, and we're not using the connections between our two schools (Hatch and their AD Swarbrick whose kid went to Wake) to weasel out of a beatdown in order to pad our record for 2014. 'cause that'd be pathetic

I do hope that a Notre Dame scheduling issue is the reason for this move, and we're not using the connections between our two schools (Hatch and their AD Swarbrick whose kid went to Wake) to weasel out of a beatdown in order to pad our record for 2014. 'cause that'd be pathetic

Not sure if that is the primary motivation, but the fact is that WF would lose at ND next year, but I would expect WF to schedule a much easier game instead. With games against Army, ULM, a FCS patsy and lower tier D-1 school (FIU, Georgia State, Akron, UMASS, NM State, S Miss, E Michigan), it would be hard for WF to not win at least 3 OOC games, and WF would be in position to win 4 (ULM had a senior dominated team in 2013). At that point, WF would only need to win two ACC games to claim that "all is well".

I think we need to beat up on Charlotte while we can, get them on the schedule for next year.

I think they already have eight games scheduled. They only have four left to actually calendar: UNC, Louisville, FSU, and Wake. I don't think any of the other three besides us are interested in getting out, it will be interesting to see what happens.

If ND backs out, then we can schedule a home and home vs a lower tier team, because of an open spot in '15.

Let's schedule a 2nd FCS team. Why the hell not, we're not getting 5 FBS wins.

NC State is pulling out all the stops next year to pump up their record:

2 FCS teams (Presby and GA Southern)
1 team transitioning from FCS to FBS (Old Dominion)
1 games against the worst BCS team (USF)

I believe that does mean you need to win 7 games to make a bowl, though that is a problem we're not going to have to worry about

Not sure if that is the primary motivation, but the fact is that WF would lose at ND next year, but I would expect WF to schedule a much easier game instead. With games against Army, ULM, a FCS patsy and lower tier D-1 school (FIU, Georgia State, Akron, UMASS, NM State, S Miss, E Michigan), it would be hard for WF to not win at least 3 OOC games, and WF would be in position to win 4 (ULM had a senior dominated team in 2013). At that point, WF would only need to win two ACC games to claim that "all is well".

Wake had a senior dominated team in 2013 as well.

I believe that does mean you need to win 7 games to make a bowl, though that is a problem we're not going to have to worry about

While that is generally true, with so many bowls (and there will be 3 more next year), 6-6 teams with 2 FCS wins can play in a bowl to fill empty slots.

NC State is pulling out all the stops next year to pump up their record:

2 FCS teams (Presby and GA Southern)
1 team transitioning from FCS to FBS (Old Dominion)
1 games against the worst BCS team (USF)
GA Southern in Sun Belt next year

I think they already have eight games scheduled. They only have four left to actually calendar: UNC, Louisville, FSU, and Wake. I don't think any of the other three besides us are interested in getting out, it will be interesting to see what happens.

If this is true and they play 12 games a year, I don't see what the problem is.

Hey, let's play Purdue. They are the only team from a power conference that has a worse offense than us.

Would love this - played 2 great games with Purdue early on. Of course, Lobo prevented Wake from winning game #2. Ross-Ade is an awesome place to watch a game.

Back