• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rumor: UCONN, UC, UL to ACC

It's really sad what the ACC has turned into. We had Season tickets when I was in HS (and we lived in TN and made 90% of the home games - even mid-week). I realize it has to adapt or die, but I miss the round robin and knowing everyone on all of the teams b/c there were fewer and all the games were on tv.

The other option is adapt AND die--that's the one we are on.

So does UConn get the first bid since they beat Louisville?

I wouldnt mind UCONN or UL, don't understand the UC addition if true. Maybe academics but football and basketball is sub-par wake style

meanwhile, Florida State is doing its bit to make sure the ACC remains an afterthought in the college football national picture.

meanwhile, Florida State is doing its bit to make sure the ACC remains an afterthought in the college football national picture.

Can't wait for the FSU fans (and trustees) to blame the rest of the ACC for their exclusion from the national title game.

What you are missing is that Wake Forest is a school whose success in sports (and arguably its rise to national from regional university status) is much more dependent on conference identification than are any of the other ACC schools. So if you care about Wake as you say you do you should care about the future of the ACC. Otherwise we are not too different from Furman or William & Mary.

I do care very much about the ACC's success, because Wake needs the ACC, therefore I am not opposed to the ACC scavenging the Big East to become the first 16 team super conference. If the ACC fails, Wake is going to be left home without a date and we'll be in the same irrelevant boat that we make fun of ECU for being stuck in, if not worse. As it relates to college sports as a whole, specifically other conferences, I just don't have the same nostalgia for the pre-television deals era that some of you have. I don't care if Texas plays Oklahoma every year.

Last edited:
I'm 27 (28 in a month) and I grew up with this.

I'm 32 and grew up with that as well, and the ACC was a huge reason I started looking at Wake. As a side note, I talked my grandmother into picking me up early from school more than once so I could watch the ACC and NCAA tourneys at home on TV. She loved college basketball too and needed someone to watch with her!

Yep, conferences don't realize how much they are hurting their product by all this. See goose and golden egg. TV ratings will suffer and the bubble will pop. The NFL realizes the importance of regionalism/rivalries,and fans will migrate there for it.

Exactly. College basketball is already feeling this, with apathy (and attendance) being down across the board. Outside of your top tier programs, college football is next.

Back