• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rumor: UCONN, UC, UL to ACC

If true this would be huge. We would effectively kill the big 12 because their road map to 12 would be gone (boise state and houston I guess?).

Some of you all are sad saps. Change is inevitable. I watch the Deacs because thats my school, not because of who were playing and I couldnt give a shit what conference other schools are in because I dont give a shit about those schools. Conference expansion interests me only as much as it affects my school. My 2nd interest is the ACC and if it nreds to add 50 schools to survive then so be it. Its still a bunch of college kids playing basketball for free so I don't really see whata so different.

What you are missing is that Wake Forest is a school whose success in sports (and arguably its rise to national from regional university status) is much more dependent on conference identification than are any of the other ACC schools. So if you care about Wake as you say you do you should care about the future of the ACC. Otherwise we are not too different from Furman or William & Mary.

Even if the ACC was to implode I believe we would end up in an ACC/Big East hybrid and once the playoff went to 8 teams we would have a seat at the table and a much easier path to get there.

If the ACC adds a Cincy or USF my interest in the league will drop down significantly. The rumor is false because the Big XII does not want to expand, doesn't need to, and TV already said Louisville wouldn't equal more money. It certainly is in no rush to add Cincy if it thinks the whole ACC is about to collapse.

If the Big XII can hold at 10 and be fine, I'm not sure why the ACC would feel the need to go to 16.

As many have said, the Big XII (aka Texas) does not want to expand because they want maintain a round robin schedule

Is there a realistic chance that we could have a 16 team conference that includes the remaining ACC teams (Duke, WF, UNC, NC State, GT, Va, FSU and Clemson) and the new members? We could play 7 teams in our mini-conference and rotate through the rest of the conference with 2 games a year. There is an age of about 45 that represents the divider between people who are attached to the ACC and those who do not care about it at all. For us older guys, the ACC was what made wake relevant and was a big factor in us attending Wake. If seperated us from Davidson, Furman, William & Mary and others of similar ilk.

The ACC stopped being the ACC when it expanded to twelve teams.

The thing that would preserve the ACC for sure would be Texas bolting to the Pac.

Also, agree that a 16-team conference would actually improve the old ACC rivalries by splitting it into historical divisions.

We are living in interesting times. My kids' college sports-viewing experience for the foreseeable future is being determined for them and they don't really even know it. They're trying to understand Wake's place in the world of college athletics and I can't even really explain it to them because it's in constant fluctuation. You know those Turtles I've been telling you to root against? Never mind, they don't matter anymore.

That's like the economy/deficit and everything else. Here you go, kids! Here's the world you're going to grow up in! In case you haven't yet noticed, life is all about the benjamins!

I like the city of Louisville.

Then again, I like bourbon, horse racing, and cool tourist spots.

Thank goodness we will have UCONN Women's Basketball and Field Hockey to bolster this flagging conference. I like that we will be adding a new Lacrosse program too.

There is an age of about 45 that represents the divider between people who are attached to the ACC and those who do not care about it at all. For us older guys, the ACC was what made wake relevant and was a big factor in us attending Wake. If seperated us from Davidson, Furman, William & Mary and others of similar ilk.

I'd guess more like 35. I'm 39 and I grew up watching the ACCT in school with teachers wheeling out the cart to do it. That was classic.

It's really sad what the ACC has turned into. We had Season tickets when I was in HS (and we lived in TN and made 90% of the home games - even mid-week). I realize it has to adapt or die, but I miss the round robin and knowing everyone on all of the teams b/c there were fewer and all the games were on tv.

Back