• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rusty Larue Coaching Once Again at WF - West Forsyth

Why do you turn everything personal? The AD didn't choose Chill over Rusty, Danny Manning did. The article even states he was let go by Danny Manning. Yes, he might do something bigger than being a second level admin at Wake. But, he might not.

Again, I said maybe.

maybe

/ˈmeɪˌbiː/

adverb

a.perhaps
b.(as sentence modifier): maybe I'll come tomorrow

sentence substitute

possibly; neither yes nor no

Last edited:
I understand you don't like me. that's fine. This doesn't mean you have to be confrontational on everything.

You said,"Maybe he can work his way back on the basketball staff"

In essence, the AD chose Chill over Rusty. Very few people would want to come back after such an act and be second fiddle to the guy who basically took his job.

Plus I never said, he might not want to come back in another capacity. I just thought it was highly unlikely that it would be as a basketball coach.

If you look above on this thread, you'll see I thought he might do something bigger than being a second level administrator at Wake.
Except it was Manning who chose Chill over Rusty, not the AD.

And I doubt Chill would take over at HC in the event that Manning is so successful here that he takes a better job.

I stand corrected about who fired Rusty.

Ayo, read what I said. I said Chill could take over if Danny leaves after being successful .I think Wellman is grooming Chill for the HC position and lifetime at Wake.

Rusty is more of an administrator than a HC at this level. Since he has little experience in any AD, it's very unlikely he'd be the #1 guy.

I think his real future may be in politics or business.

I read what you said. And I doubt it would happen. If Manning is so successful here that one of the top tier jobs comes calling, I doubt we fill our HC position with an individual who has zero head coaching experience, especially given the position Manning would have put us in. We could do better than that.

KU hired Royboy.If we get Harry, win for a few years, Chill will have been considered critical in our return to prominence. He will be in as strong or a stronger position than Sgt. Schultz was at KU.

Miles of difference in college basketball now than college basketball when KU hired Huckleberry Hound.

Miles of difference in college basketball now than college basketball when KU hired Huckleberry Hound.

Not as much as the difference between being AD at FCDS and an ACC school. I like Rusty a lot, and it was nice to work around him for a while. I'm sure he'll be successful at whatever he does. I know the whole culture argument is taboo around these parts sometimes, but Rusty embodied the student-athlete ideal as well as anyone who has ever played college sports. We've been lucky to have him affiliated with Wake.

Not as much as the difference between being AD at FCDS and an ACC school. I like Rusty a lot, and it was nice to work around him for a while. I'm sure he'll be successful at whatever he does. I know the whole culture argument is taboo around these parts sometimes, but Rusty embodied the student-athlete ideal as well as anyone who has ever played college sports. We've been lucky to have him affiliated with Wake.

I wouldn't say it's taboo. I would say it's bullshit. Just an attempt to justify the unjustifiable.

I doubt he's just a shift manager. More likely, he's got some sort of ownership stake. They are building a location in Clemmons right now, so I'm sure there's some involvement in that.

Rusty will be the owner of the Darios in Kernersville. Working was part of the owner training. They are also building two in Charlotte.

Last edited:
Head coach - no.

Athletic Director - I can see that.

No AD. He's not a liar or a butt-kisser. In fact, he's probably too honest and straightforward.

Being an AD requires a lot of schmoozing and being less than truthful.

Honestly, I don't see him returning to basketball at all. Maybe in the future, in a very different capacity...maybe. But the last four years at Wake were horrible, as we all know. The atmosphere here on the boards and in public was awful, but it was simply unhealthy and toxic inside the locker room. So much stuff went on, and the asst. coaches pushed themselves beyond what was normal and expected to fix problems that just couldn't be remedied as long as the HC remained the man in charge.

I stand corrected about who fired Rusty.

Ayo, read what I said. I said Chill could take over if Danny leaves after being successful .I think Wellman is grooming Chill for the HC position and lifetime at Wake.

Rusty is more of an administrator than a HC at this level. Since he has little experience in any AD, it's very unlikely he'd be the #1 guy.

I think his real future may be in politics or business.

Wellman couldn't groom a poodle to enter a dog show. Let's come back to earth here.

Manning to Kansas is so silly. RJ keeps bringing it up as though it is even remotely possible. Self isn't going anywhere.

Manning to Kansas is so silly. RJ keeps bringing it up as though it is even remotely possible. Self isn't going anywhere.

I thought Mark Pope was going to be groomed are our next head coach. Or am I confusing things ... and was it Kentucky that would be Pope's ultimate head coaching destination?

Back