• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

Koepka can't miss a fairway in the U.S. Open but put him in the Ryder Cup and he knocks a woman's eye out.

Anyone attending a Pro-Am is taking their life into their hands.

I don't know about France, but in the US, attending any sporting event come with an assumption of risk. There's usually language to that effect on the back of the ticket or pass. It's even on the back of my Wake season tickets as a condition of purchase.

My father took part in the Normandy Invasion (came ashore a few days after D-Day). As a MP, he had lots of interaction with the locals, who he described as extremely unappreciative and generally bitching about everything American. A common theme was that the invasion tore their farms up and that the American Army should pay for the damages.

As a side note, I should add that some of the French ladies were most appreciative of the G.I's. One of the guys in my dad's unit bore a striking resemblance to the French actor Fernandel, which ensured that there was a flock of young women around when things were calm.

My father also came into France a few days after the invasion. About 15 years ago he returned with his unit. Everywhere they went towns threw banquets for them. A woman whose brother had been killed by the allies she told the group that she knew it was all a part of winning a war that had to be won. At the town of Moyenvic, where my father was wounded, he helped with a dedication of a monument in their honor.

So yes, at least some of the French remain very grateful.

My father also came into France a few days after the invasion. About 15 years ago he returned with his unit. Everywhere they went towns threw banquets for them. A woman whose brother had been killed by the allies she told the group that she knew it was all a part of winning a war that had to be won. At the town of Moyenvic, where my father was wounded, he helped with a dedication of a monument in their honor.

So yes, at least some of the French remain very grateful.

yeah, my experience, compared with southern and in Paris, in both Normandy and in the Low Countries was a legacy of appreciation.

My wife was on a jury once where the plaintiff had been hit by a golf ball in his back yard and suffered a head injury. He sued the golfer claiming he had not yelled fore if I remember right. The defendant won this case, as it was ruled that the plaintiff had built the house after the golf course was built and therefore knew the risk and if he was outside, he needed to be aware and be protected if he felt necessary. The golfer had no responsibility in this case.

I will have to get the full details from my wife - she was my GF then and it was over 20 years ago.

It's obvious that if you're going to a golf tournament, you may be hit by an errant shot. Don't know how you could credibly claim otherwise.

First time guitardeac name dropped his wife?

Who’s at fault if I’m on 18 and fly it off a windshield in the parking lock, busting out a windshield? (I paid the guys deductible because I felt like being a nice person, but was always curious what the outcome would be if I said no and he took me to court, he was sitting in the truck when it happened)

I do not think you should be legally responsible - unless you did something reckless like hit it off course on purpose.

Though I have seen the opposite result in small claims court - you take your chances there with judges that don't know or care a lot...

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24904630/phil-mickelson-says-was-not-fan-course-setup-ryder-cup

Okay, so we're mostly done beating up on Reed. So then I saw these comments by Mickelson about the Ryder Cup, and it left me shaking my head even further. He admits it was smart for Bjorn to set the course up the way he did - because outside of Rory, the Euro team tended to be shorter and straighter than the Americans. And he scouted the course out beforehand but then says playing on a course with that type of set up is a waste of his time because it's not suited to his game. It might have been nice for him to have informed Mr. Furyk of his feelings back in say, August. So Phil apparently wanted to be on the team but didn't want to play the course? Hell, I think it was Michael Collins who reported that 1 of the Euro assistants had a big smile on his face when the Furyk picked Mickelson, Woods and DeChambeau. So outside of Thomas, it's becoming more apparent that we were outprepared by Europe, and Phil's comments are a complete WTF?!

But the good news is Haas had a T10 over the weekend in his attempt to keep his card.

Here's a little more info on the Haas card situation.

Haas ultimately finished the season 151st on the FedEx Cup points list, but applied for a medical extension to try and secure his card for the 2018-’19 season. He was granted two starts in an attempt to earn 136 points, the equivalent of No. 125 on the FedEx Cup points list in 2018.

With his T-10 showing at Silverado Resort in Napa, Calif., Haas claimed 68 points (he could have earned them all with a T-3 showing, something that looked possible after a Saturday 67. More importantly, his performance earned him an extra start to grab the remaining points; the top-10 automatically qualifying him for the next open PGA Tour event, the Sanderson Farms Championship in three weeks.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/bill-haas-takes-big-step-toward-earning-back-full-pga-tour-status

So, what happens if Haas does not get the necessary total of 136 points in these fall events? Is he off the PGA tour and can only play in tour events if he gets a sponsor's exemption (which I think is limited to 7 events per year) or plays in the Monday qualifier?

Haas made like a 13 footer on 18 to sneak back into the top 10 and get an extra week to play. Big putt. He @ 5th at the start of the day, so he cost himself valuable points dropping 5 spots.

So, what happens if Haas does not get the necessary total of 136 points in these fall events? Is he off the PGA tour and can only play in tour events if he gets a sponsor's exemption (which I think is limited to 7 events per year) or plays in the Monday qualifier?

No, he will have some status as a past champion that would get him into plenty of events, or he could use his money list exemption as a 1-time use, I think (didn't someone say he was top 50 on tour in career earnings....perhaps the FedEx Cup title got counted as part of that total)? There are top-25 and top-50 career earnings exemptions you can use, but only once.

He now has conditional status, which gets him on the list for most events (although does not guarantee him a start). But at a minimum, he has two more automatic entries plus up to 7 sponsors' exemptions. One analyst predicted he will get at least 20 starts with all of this combined, which is not far from a normal season.

Back